Shooting Longbow with Split Finger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Bob Lee recurve has a 19" riser. I shoot split finger and anchor my index finger at the corner of my mouth. Started that way and it works well for me.

Considering the purchase of a Bodnik Quick Stick hybrid longbow. the handle is is cut "on center" and has not a comparatively short looking "sight window" (shelf to upper limb) for instinctive aiming.

If I use split finger and anchor as per my normal, it seems like "aiming" might be difficult. How is the Quick Stick going to work for me with my current shooting style?

You might give 3 under a try... longbows and split finger have been around a long time, but it sounds like you gravitate to a hard aiming system anyways. May as well get the arrow closer to your eye.

Comment

I shoot longbows split finger. I prefer bows with longer sight windows though. I can still shoot bows with a shorter sight window, but it doesn’t look “right” to me when I’m aiming.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Trumpkin View Post
        You might give 3 under a try... longbows and split finger have been around a long time, but it sounds like you gravitate to a hard aiming system anyways. May as well get the arrow closer to your eye.
        I've tried 3 under. Hated it.

Comment

Originally posted by SJP51 View Post
          I've tried 3 under. Hated it.
          I hated it at first,but I told myself I’d give it an honest try for a week. After a couple days my groups got a lot tighter and I shoot better now than I have in a long time!

Comment

I too hated split finger for the first couple weeks. I could never go back to split finger now!

Comment

I've always shot split finger for everything, even back in the '80s when I shot a compound. I've tried 3 finger under, but just couldn't make it work for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                I shoot longbows split finger. I prefer bows with longer sight windows though. I can still shoot bows with a shorter sight window, but it doesn’t look “right” to me when I’m aiming.

Bisch

Bisch, What's a good longbow with longer sight window?

Comment

Sarrels Blueridge, Primal Tech takedown (my current bow) are the 2 I can think of off hand. But there are a lot of them out there.

Bisch

Comment

Bisch’s Primal Tech is a beautiful bow. I watched him shoot it at the Chester shoot, and I believe Daniel had to wipe some drool off my lip. (Over the BOW, lest anyone get ideas, lol!)

The Wagstaff I have has a longer site window compared to the Bodnik. It might be another one to check out.

Comment

Originally posted by CamoQuest View Post
                      Bisch’s Primal Tech is a beautiful bow. I watched him shoot it at the Chester shoot, and I believe Daniel had to wipe some drool off my lip. (Over the BOW, lest anyone get ideas, lol!)

The Wagstaff I have has a longer site window compared to the Bodnik. It might be another one to check out.
                      We've seen Bisch. No explanation needed.[emoji1]

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

I’d drool over a bow LONG before I would ever drool over Bisch!!!!! Wait a minute! As old I’m getting, I may be drooling all over Bisch before too long! [emoji15]

[emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]

And I wish folks would come up and introduce themselves to me if they see me at a shoot. I like to be able to connect a face with a screen name!

Seriously, Randy did a great job on my bow. She sure is purty!!!!

Bisch

Last edited by Bisch; 06-09-2021, 10:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                          I’d drool over a bow LONG before I would ever drool over Bisch!!!!! Wait a minute! As old I’m getting, I may be drooling all over Bisch before too long! [emoji15]

[emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]

And I wish folks would come up and introduce themselves to me if they see me at a shoot. I like to be able to connect a face with a screen name!

Seriously, Randy did a great job on my bow. She sure is purty!!!!

Bisch

I was the red faced girl slogging around in tennis shoes, shooting with her husband on the second day. We let you and Dianne and Rusty shoot past us, because I was dragging, lol. I didn’t want to interrupt you guys. There weren’t any rocks for you to kick in my direction, but you might have whacked me with a stick, lol! Just kidding! I’ll make sure we say hi the next time we see you. We’ll be at the Bob Lee Memorial shoot in a few weeks. ~Julie Jones

Comment

Your bow is a work of art Bisch. Rsndy got skills.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
                            Last edited by DRT; 06-09-2021, 02:27 PM.

Comment

Maybe I should just get long bow limbs for my 19" handled and 57# Bob Lee. Can't shoot that thing more than a doz shots anyway and it makes my shoulder hurt. Like that big sight window. Makes it easier to see with my hectafocals.

Comment

Working...
                              X