Homemade Ceviche

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ctom87 View Post
    My wife and I got married in Mexico April 30th, 2017. During the trip, we had a boat ride to another part of the coast and a seafood feast...boy was it a feast. Something I had never heard of before was Ceviche. (Keep in mind I grew up sheltered, or at least did not see many parts of the world outside of Arlington.)

What an experience... so for our 4th anniversary trip I wanted to make homemade ceviche with some fresh Redfish I caught straight out of the ocean... here is that recipe.

Ingredients
    1 lbs of fish
    1 cup lime juice
    1 cucumber
    2 avocados
    2 roma tomatoes
    1 sweet onion
    1/2 of a bunch of cilantro
    2 seeded jalapeños
    1/2 tsp black pepper
    Tostadas
    Lime flavored mayo

Step 1, whiff on catching redfish and go with 1 lbs of the frozen shrimp you bought as a plan B. Thaw the shrimp e ought to where you can dice it to where it is about a cube... one shrimp is about 3 to 5 pieces.
    Step 2, once shrimp is diced and in a bowl, pour 1 cup of lime juice over it. Marinate for 2 hours. The acid "cooks" the fish or shrimp.
    Step 3, while fish or shrimp is marinating, dice the rest of the ingredients a bit smaller than the fish or shrimp cubes you made. Combine and mix.
    Step 4, take the fish or shrimp out and pour with lime juice over the mixture and further combine.

Bam, done.

Now, in Mexico they taught us how to eat it...

Take a tostada and spread lime flavored mayo on it... take the ceviche and place a scoop on the tostada. It will crumble so have a plate to catch it.

This recipe took us all back to that wedding trip. Enjoy.
    "Step 1" has me rolling!

Sounds great, gonna try it.

Comment

I add shrimp pieces and sliced green olives

Comment

I use red snapper fresh after a trip and use the mango Pico d Gallo from heb and add avocado and shrimp....I drain the lemon and lime juice and cover it on coconut milk like they do in the islands
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by ctom87 View Post

This recipe took us all back to that wedding trip. Enjoy.
          happy belated anniversary.

Comment

Pretty sure there should be salt in that recipe somewhere. Love me some ceviche. Especially when made by the locals.

Comment

Gonna try it. Thanks

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Comment

I, too, love ceviche. Some of the best and most creative ceviches I’ve had have come from the various Stephen Pyles restaurants he’s opened in Dallas over the years.

My favorite included Copper River salmon and mango, among it’s ingredients. Another was made with redfish and popcorn (yes, popped pieces of popcorn!), and Tajín.

I’ve never known to eat ceviche with lime/Mayo spread in the tortilla but I’m intrigued at the idea. Plan to give it a try next time. Ceviche is one of my husband’s favorite things to eat for dinner in the summer when it’s too hot to cook or eat anything heavy. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Me and some friends rented Jerry Jeff Walker’s house in Ambergis Caye off Belize. Went fishing and caught several diff kinds of fish but the “house keeper crew” took a barracuda and made ceviche with it and it was amazing. Everyone was a little skeptical with what we’ve heard of some bacteria in them but a few extra beers, we all ate some. It was as amazing. No one got sick and to this day the most delicious ceviche I’ve ever had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Sounds great Im going to have to try it. Thanks for posting

Comment

Just got back from Belize and I think I ate my body weight in Conch Ceviche . . . Thanks for the recipe!

Comment

I hold the avocado until the end as well

Also need a little salt and fresh ground black pepper plus add a little virgin olive oil

Hard to beat ceviche and I’ve made it with almost every species of fish I’ve caught

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

The war department came back and said she loved the ceviche so much on vacation, orders came in to whip up another batch.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Holding the avocados as others have mentioned. An hour left on the shrimp.

Added 1 tsp finely ground black pepper, 1/4 tsp oak smoked sea salt and drizzled with pesto infused olive oil. I might not be able to wait. It is looking done...
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by ctom87; 05-13-2021, 11:07 PM.

Comment

Couldn't wait.

Typically served on a tostada, I am going with my lime mayo on a regular ole tortilla.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Just tried this out with some trigger fish, from our friends south of the border. My Dad and I enjoyed it with a couple cold beers. I like cilantro so I added a touch more. Also, I sprinkled the top with a touch of Ragin Blaze seasoning. Good stuff. Thank you for sharing

Comment

Working...
                                X