Deer relocation after anthrax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deer relocation after anthrax

After our ranch, located along highway 189 in Sonora was impacted by anthrax a couple of years ago we had a much small deer herd than prior to the outbreak. We have seen the population increase over the last year but still several 3 to 5 years before back to normal. We were fortunate to work with a biologist and work through TPWD to get a TTT permit and relocate doe onto the ranch. This last weekend we brought in 40 doe from Tilden texas and released on site . All 40 made it alive! Our hope is to bring the ranch back to normal sooner while also improving the genetics by bringing south texas deer into Sonora. The biologist we used has relocated over 700 deer to the affected areas of the last couple of years. Only time and mother nature will tell how successful we will be.
    Last edited by Fischer; 03-22-2021, 07:21 AM.

Are you low fence or high fence? I assume high. It sounds like you can improve your genetics while building the herd up quickly.

Comment

That's great news news Fischer!

Comment

We are low fence on a 5000 acre ranch. We let the deer go in the middle of the property approx 2 miles from outside boundaries. We are hoping the majority of the deer take up new residence on the ranch and if not it will help the overall deer population in the area. We added three additional watering stations in addition to the 5 tanks we already have, filled protein and corn feeders prior to deer arrival in the attempt to keep as many deer on the ranch as possible. We have cameras running and Only time will tell how this works.

Comment

I just created an account here; I was going to introduce myself but it seems the forum isn't letting me create a new thread, so I was going to test this by replying to this thread.

I hunt in Texas; for the past decade or so, I have hunted south of Highway 90 near the Kinney County and Uvalde County line. There is anthrax in the soil in that region. I have been told there are medicated feed options you can provide for deer but I am not familiar.

How have you progressed with the anthrax issue?

Comment

Working...
          X