Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone ever done a vehicle wrap to protect the finish from brush?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KactusKiller View Post
    I think some might have missed the point of the question so let me clarify. It’s a 1995 bronco, restored and a high end BLACK paint job I don’t want to ruin. I will be driving on hunting trips and general outdoor activities as well as weekend and weekly driving. I don’t want the paint destroyed by brush scratches I might encounter.

Looking for a temporary covering to protect it so the finish holds up well.

Your only choice is don’t take it hunting if you don’t want to ruin the paint. .... it’s going to happen.

We spent 18 hours this summer doing a 5 year cut on our ranch roads. 3 folks with new trucks and 2 with dang near new. Those mesquites are brutal.
    Last edited by Smart; 03-16-2021, 10:37 PM.

Comment

I think some might have missed the point of the question so let me clarify. It’s a 1995 bronco, restored and a high end BLACK paint job I don’t want to ruin. I will be driving on hunting trips and general outdoor activities as well as weekend and weekly driving. I don’t want the paint destroyed by brush scratches I might encounter.

I want to see a pic of the bronco! [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Well this is a big difference. I believe the show truck should stay one and drive it to the sto and back. Why on God's green earth would you won't to take a restored high end black truck to crappy lease. I don't know where you live but I have a 06 tundra that you can borrow.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

If you don’t want to scratch the bronco get a wrap or ceramic coating either or depending on brush if it’s thick it will go thru either

Comment

we use wraps on patrol vehicles, doesn't take all that long for the wraps to start tearing or coming apart in places. Rocks from normal driving, washing vehicle, etc. and this is in a town with paved roads and few trees scratching up vehicles. I guess they make different thickness wraps but they are a pain to put on and take off and aren't cheap or really reusable so that nice black paint job would never be seen. The clear bra is probably your best choice, but have never seen one on a truck that's used in brush and they aren't designed to be taken on and off again either.

Comment

I understand what you are wanting to do but don’t think a wrap will do it. My logic is that it would basically help prevent about the same level of brush art that can be buffed out. Any heavier scratching would penetrate the wrap and scratch the paint.

Comment

You are buying the wrong tool for the job. At a lease you want a crappy bronco.

Comment

What you want, and what you want it for I don’t think exist. You can wrap it, plastidip it, ceramic paint it, cerakote it. All these are opinions. None will completely protect your Bronco if you’re running it through brush. You also won’t have the showroom finish on your Bronco if you remove it. Magnetic sheets, and a vehicle bra may be your best bet for minimal temporary protection

Comment

I have done this before on a trip to Black Gap WMA. For a temporary use I bought the protective film at Home Depot that they use on open houses to protect stairs and carpet and such. It’s sticky but not so sticky that it won’t peel off cleanly when done.

I put it on when I got there. It wasn’t easy by myself to install but I simply layed it across the whole truck and then came back at cut at the doors. It wasn’t pretty but it worked for the 3 days. Not the solution if you want to leave something on but works for a single trip. Also it won’t protect from heavy brush but does a great job against the thin branches that normally don’t scratch paint themselves but rather rub the dirt in the paint.
                    Last edited by Mjjust; 03-17-2021, 11:11 AM.

Comment

I wasn’t planning to get such a nice one but this had the best combo of low miles and add ons. It just happens to have a really nice paint job. My plan isn’t to beat the brush but you never know when you might need to take a road that is a little tight. It’s no difgeeent than taking my new 70k truck on the same trips when you can’t use a utv. Just curious if there was any viable options to protect it from incidental impact.

Comment

123,000 original miles and completely upgraded on axles with straight axle swap and lowered gears. Guy was pretty meticulous on his attention to detail. Black is pretty scratch prone which is what I’m asking. I quit buying black trucks long time ago because everything stands out. Not much choice on this one.
                        Last edited by KactusKiller; 03-17-2021, 06:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X