Busted pipe in the attic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Busted pipe in the attic

Had a pipe split in my attic today. Insulated copper line. Luckily someone was available to repair it today, for $295...We are on water well and septic. I had been running the faucet furthest away from the water entering the house. Water well tank has a shack around it with a heat lamp. Septic unit is tarped. Yesterday I poured hot water over the sprinkler heads and covered them with really large ceramic flower pots. Septic alarm went off a few times after I got to work tonight according to my wife. Now I’m not sure what to do for the next few days. Seems what I am doing is not working. Supposed to be 23 Saturday morning. Thinking of turning off the water and draining everything on Friday and turning it back on Saturday afternoon.
    Last edited by dc1986; 02-17-2021, 12:26 AM.

Stupid question but Do you live in a neighborhood? Like a track home neighborhood?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

No. I live on 6 acres outside of the city limits. Most people around me have 6-10 acres.
      Last edited by dc1986; 02-17-2021, 12:23 AM.

Comment

do you have a maintenance agreement with a septic company? If so call fast and get in line as I imagine they will have hoards of calls the next few days.

Comment

Drip faucets that are mounted on all outside walls, both hot and cold. It doesn't take much of a drip to work. I left an outside hose bid uncovered but dripping. The temp got below zero and it did not freeze.

Comment

Originally posted by 60 Deluxe View Post
            Drip faucets that are mounted on all outside walls, both hot and cold. It doesn't take much of a drip to work. I left an outside hose bid uncovered but dripping. The temp got below zero and it did not freeze.
            Double Towel Tape Wrapped my outside faucets. Threw two BIG towels in the water meter box. All INSIDE Faucets dripping for 4 days. So Far So Go.

Comment

If possible cover the attic vents and hang a heat lamp or other heat source
              Up there.

Comment

DC, you might go pull your sprinkler heads and let them run full bore. They just unthread. Pull the whole thing off. It has female threads on the bottom of the black case. if just the purple top unscrews, thats ok too. it will leave the black case in place, and will still run full bore.

I havent pulled mine yet, and so far, mine have kept working. I might just go pull them this evening.
                Last edited by Palmetto; 02-17-2021, 08:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 60 Deluxe View Post
                  This is the piece i missed and it cost me. I wrapped my outside hose bibs up really good but didn't leave them dripping. Pipe above the garage going to one of the outside hosebibs burst yesterday. lesson learned... wrap them but leave them dripping if they are supplied by an unprotected pipe over the garage.

Comment

So glad I have traditional septic.

Comment

Yep we took all the proactive measures above except closing off the attic vents. Busted a line up there last night. Had to have a welder come and fix so we don’t completely freeze. Gonna hate to see what that bill will be.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by kenner27 View Post
                        Yep we took all the proactive measures above except closing off the attic vents. Busted a line up there last night. Had to have a welder come and fix so we don’t completely freeze. Gonna hate to see what that bill will be.
                        i got the same video at my house.

Comment

I fixed 4 last night for free. Man I could have made $1200 lol

Sorry your pipes burst

Comment

Originally posted by kenner27 View Post
                            Never thought about attic vents either. Might put a electric heater up there. Sorry that happened to you. Hopefully you can get it repaired soon.
                            Last edited by dc1986; 02-17-2021, 12:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Palmetto View Post
                              DC, you might go pull your sprinkler heads and let them run full bore. They just unthread. Pull the whole thing off. It has female threads on the bottom of the black case. if just the purple top unscrews, thats ok too. it will leave the black case in place, and will still run full bore.

I havent pulled mine yet, and so far, mine have kept working. I might just go pull them this evening.
                              Definitely going to do this . Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X