Axis and Black buck survival???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Axis and Black buck survival???

I'm thinking these prolonged brutal temps in the hill country will be very hard on these 2 species, not to mention the many African species scattered around.. Axis that are growing antlers(a lot of soft tissue)will probably have issues with their antlers freezing solid causing severe damaged. I know their ears will frost bite and die..
    For you guys with a lot of experience with these animals, what are your thoughts..

This will be very hard on the black buck

The axis in velvet will probably have some deformities when they come out of velvet

Like you said above ears frostbite bad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by JONES45LC View Post
      This will be very hard on the black buck

The axis in velvet will probably have some deformities when they come out of velvet

Like you said above ears frostbite bad

Yea, over the years I have mounted several Axis and Nilgai with 1/2 ears and a couple of of BB that way..
      I was afraid that the BB being so short haired wouldn't take this cold good at all.
      Sad, sad deal.. I am afraid a bunch will die.

Comment

If I owned a ranch that had many of these warm weather animals, I'd run a fire sale, half price, and have hunters take as many as possible. Then, buy as many as I need come warmer weather. I'd take a hit, for sure, but not as bad as having tons of dead carcasses lying on the ground.

Comment

I’ve been having customers call in for 3 days now with dead exotics. Mainly blackbuck but on guy found three dead waterbuck yesterday. There’s going to be a loss for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Hills of Texas View Post
            I’ve been having customers call in for 3 days now with dead exotics. Mainly blackbuck but on guy found three dead waterbuck yesterday. There’s going to be a loss for sure.
            Dang.. Yea you are probably going to get pretty busy over this ordeal..
            I know of a few Kudu and Eland up your way. I cant imagine them doing very good in this mess.....
            I'm betting the "Star S" out of Mason is getting hit pretty hard.. I know they had a few Bongo.. Those things don't do fair well at all in bitter cold...

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
              Dang.. Yea you are probably going to get pretty busy over this ordeal..
              I know of a few Kudu and Eland up your way. I cant imagine them doing very good in this mess.....
              I'm betting the "Star S" out of Mason is getting hit pretty hard.. I know they had a few Bongo.. Those things don't do fair well at all in bitter cold...
              The last two years or so, lots of ranches have turned to African game. Losses could be ugly.

Comment

Yep, thered be a reason African animals are in Africa. If I was invested in lots of animals that could go belly up like a dinosaur, I'd definitely have a Plan B for times like this.

Comment

Think we’re about to have a bunch of dead blackbuck in Bandera. This guy has a bum back leg and just decided to make his temporary home on my front porch. Looks pretty rough and I’d be real surprised if he makes it till tomorrow.

Comment

Quackadikt bring him inside

Comment

Trust me, my wife is exploring all possibilities on that.

Comment

I know of a ranch in Mason that has lost a few axis and blackbuck so far. Gonna get a lot worse before it gets better.

Comment

Just curious, are they still eatable if they die from the cold? I’d think so.

Comment

My parents did a quick ride and saw our entire blackbuck herd. They were eating the alfalfa, cottonseed, and protein. Lots of high energy feed allows them to produce more heat and stay warm. I agree that it’s going to get worse but our hope is if we continue to feed them it can only help.

Comment

Originally posted by bgleaton View Post
                              My parents did a quick ride and saw our entire blackbuck herd. They were eating the alfalfa, cottonseed, and protein. Lots of high energy feed allows them to produce more heat and stay warm. I agree that it’s going to get worse but our hope is if we continue to feed them it can only help.
                              I think yours definitely have a fighting chance. The ranch I heard the death loss on is not in near as good of shape. Overpopulation of exotics, bad range conditions, and only hand feeding. Death loss will be huge.

Comment

Working...
                              X