No announcement yet.

Hard freeze and pools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd think twice before draining. We drained a pool when the ground was wet and it floated. Broke all the pipes.

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
      If it is in ground, I would be draining it now, or dump a lot of antifreeze or alcohol in it.

The people I have known who had in ground pools, drained them, during the winter.
      Terrible advice. Do not drain your pool & do not put antifreeze in you pool. If you guys up north are concerned about you pool water freezing, throw several landscape timbers in there. Ice expands one time, the timbers will compress to keep it from breaking your pool. For the pipes, keep it circulating if possible.
      Last edited by Monark; 02-12-2021, 08:01 PM.

Comment

If it is in ground, I would be draining it now, or dump a lot of antifreeze or alcohol in it.

The people I have known who had in ground pools, drained them, during the winter.
        I’m not dumping 19,000 Gallons of Water. What part of the Country do they Drain Swimming Pools?

Comment

Originally posted by Death from Above View Post
          Freeze protection here too, I called as this is my 1st cold snap with a pool and my pool guy said letter eat!

Anyone up for a polar plunge monday?
          If you’re going to do it wait till Tuesday

Comment

Do not drain your pool period as you will have a bad result in the end. Just run it 24/7 or drain all pumps and filters.

Comment

Originally posted by Grant2 View Post
              Do not drain your pool period as you will have a bad result in the end. Just run it 24/7 or drain all pumps and filters.

This is good advise!

I personally open the filter vent and pump case vent. This allows most of the water to drain back to the pool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Waterfalls.......rich people problems!
                [emoji12]

Comment

This thread is more proof I never want a pool. What a PITA.

Good luck. I helped a friend with her pool today.

Comment

This forecast got me worried so I wrapped all the pipes in wool insulation, tarped the whole setup and put a heat lamp under there. My pool equipment is on the north side of the house in that wind so I felt like I needed to do something. Fingers crossed.

Comment

Originally posted by savin yours View Post
                      Waterfalls.......rich people problems!
                      [emoji12]

Who let the peasants in on this thread?

Comment

And run the risk of the complete pool floating out of the ground, no no

As said above, keep pumps running. Most current models kick on automatically at 37 degrees. If power loss, drain everything you can, filter, pumps etc

Comment

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
                          This thread is more proof I never want a pool. What a PITA.

Good luck. I helped a friend with her pool today.

LOL told my wife something similar for our next move ...

Comment

They could light a mr buddy heater and throw it in. That would work about as good as draining the entire pool![emoji23]

Comment

Run it 24/7. My Hayward has freeze enable so it handles itself.

Comment

Originally posted by jmeghunts View Post
                                Who let the peasants in on this thread?
                                I just blew French[emoji1270] champagne [emoji898]out my nose!!!![emoji2957][emoji2957][emoji2957][emoji2957]

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X