No announcement yet.

Pool Builder - Tomball, TX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting. I got a few quotes last summer and they said that there were two major Gunite crews in Houston and one had been hit by Covid pretty bad. I was hoping that 6 months later the Gunite shortage would have resolved itself however it appears that is not the case.

I certainly don't mind waiting a bit however I just wonder how long it will last. What % of the total pool cost is Gunite?

Comment

Northside Pools in Tomball is legit. They’re experiencing the same problems listed above. I’m good friends with most of the guys you’d be dealing with and they’re all honest, straight up guys to deal with. Been around a long time and will be there in the future if you need them. They’re building my pool later this year.

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
        Is it the materials causing the Gunite delay? Personnel? Delivery?

Sounds like a business opportunity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        It's a combination of issues. Equipment, labor and material. Covid caused a double in demand overnight and you can't just catch up to that. Its been pretty crazy.

Comment

It is the skilled labor, last thing you want is a gunite crew that does not know what they are doing.

Comment

Gunite is also a lifetime warranty item in a pool build. Going with a small mom&pop shop gunite company or even a new start-up is risky - last thing you want is your gunite cracking and needing to be re-done a couple years down the road and small company gone out of business. Lifetime warranty is only as long as the original gunite company is still around.

Comment

Thanks! I'll reach out to some of the recommendations here as they are different companies than the current quotes I have.

Comment

I'm not sure if my builder goes that far but he does excellent work and stands behind his product. My pool was done in 28 days. Backyard Amenities in Baytown, they have been building a very long time and seem to have it down.

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                  Is it the materials causing the Gunite delay? Personnel? Delivery?

Sounds like a business opportunity.

Sorry Curt. I'm just now seeing this. There is a huge business opportunity and we considered investing half a million to a million in starting our own gunite company. We finally, after much discussion, decided against it. As others have said, equipment and material is available but it is mostly a personnel issue. It is a specialized skill. Not just any concrete hands can jump in and do gunite. The two big boys in town bring the majority of their gunite crews in on visa from Mexico and provide each crew with a house that they share. When covid hit, you can see where this would be a recipe for disaster as whole crews were dropping like flies. All gunite companies are now backlogged from a month to several months from last years sales and now we are beginning to see the new pool contracts flooding in when no one has caught up from last year. The amount of pools financed by the big lenders broke all time records last year. There is some uncertainty on what this year will look like as a whole. I believe it will start off strong and continue last years trend but their is great uncertainty on what a Biden presidency will mean for the long haul with future potential lock downs and hesitation from some to spend money on luxury items.

Originally posted by Colton View Post
                  It’s a really skilled labor job, takes a really long time to get good at it. These guys don’t grow on trees. There are new companies popping up and they’re trying to snake guys from established companies by way overpaying them. That’s a big part of why cost is going up, it also doesn’t help the backlog.

It is a business opportunity, while demand lasts. I predict there will be a lot of cheap equipment for sale once all this dies down.
                  Yep, and this is why we didn't pull the trigger. The bubble will burst and builders will mostly run back to the big two.

Originally posted by Rustythebeagle View Post
                  Interesting. I got a few quotes last summer and they said that there were two major Gunite crews in Houston and one had been hit by Covid pretty bad. I was hoping that 6 months later the Gunite shortage would have resolved itself however it appears that is not the case.

I certainly don't mind waiting a bit however I just wonder how long it will last. What % of the total pool cost is Gunite?
                  Yes, this is true. Modern Method Gunite (who we use exclusively) and South Bay are the two big players in town. MMG is a very big company. We have a great relationship with them and get gunite much faster than a lot of companies right now but still are waiting 3-4 weeks for gunite on a pool. We were used to doing gunite on day 3 or 4 of a project, and finishing even big high end pools in under 30 days until this issue hit.

Originally posted by hoythunter View Post
                  Gunite is also a lifetime warranty item in a pool build. Going with a small mom&pop shop gunite company or even a new start-up is risky - last thing you want is your gunite cracking and needing to be re-done a couple years down the road and small company gone out of business. Lifetime warranty is only as long as the original gunite company is still around.
                  This is solid advice and is why I recommend going with a pool company who only uses one of the two biggest gunite companies who are rock solid and not going anywhere.
                  Last edited by Pineywoods; 01-15-2021, 10:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by orchard View Post
                    832-652-8111
                    Tell Steve you are from TBH

I think Steve is out of the game; he just said "we don't do that anymore". lol

Comment

Supreme Pools in Spring. These guys are the best in the business look them up. If you want the number send me a PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Grant2 View Post
                        Supreme Pools in Spring. These guys are the best in the business look them up. If you want the number send me a PM.
                        Thanks! I've got them coming out soon.

Comment

Pool Build Finally complete! First two pics were from the yard 5 years ago and the last one is from last week. Ended up going with a recommended builder from this site and couldn't be more pleased. Let me know if anyone has any questions; kids loving it.

Last edited by Rustythebeagle; 06-22-2021, 07:26 AM. Reason: Pictures

Comment

Working...
                          X