Outboard muff question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Outboard muff question

I have a newly rebuilt 225hp Yamaha with a brand new water impeller. I put muffs on it for the first time to test it after the big freeze we had. It started right up but water was not coming out of the tell tale so I shut it right off. After that I took the boat to the lake, started up again and water shot out of the hole just fine.

2 questions. Is my impeller/motor probably ok being run a short period like that out of water.
    Does it take longer for water to go out the pee hole using a muff than in the water? Kinda nervous about using one again.

Does it have the water hose connection on the tube up by the cowling?

Comment

Take it to the lake

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Can't speak on the muffs but your motor and impeller will be fine. 30 seconds or some won't do anything. A couple minutes will melt the impeller.

Comment

Originally posted by rvd View Post
          Does it have the water hose connection on the tube up by the cowling?
          I'll check tomorrow but isn't that port for just flushing the motor without starting it, to get salt out while the engine is still warm.....I could be wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by ktex View Post
            I'll check tomorrow but isn't that port for just flushing the motor without starting it, to get salt out while the engine is still warm.....I could be wrong.
            When I bought mine the dealer told me use that water hose hook up for flushing only. My manual states the same thing

Comment

Didn't have a good enough seal on the muffs to push water out the tattle tail. Sounds fine.
              Do you have a water pressure gauge?
              My SHO only has a dribble of water come out when running hard so I just pay attention to the water pressure gauge.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ktex View Post
                I ran an 03 vmax 225 on a majek extreme from 03-17 and only ever flushed it with that connection on a water hose. 5 minutes with motor off and 15-20 with it idling. Other than changing impellers every 2 or 3 years the motor was never in the shop in 14 years. Sold it to a guy on here in 17 and as far as I know it’s still going strong.

Don’t ever want to run one above an idle on a water hose, ideally let it idle at least until thermostats open up.

Comment

Not having water out of the tattletail does not mean you didn't have plenty of water at your impellor. You are probably fine.

Comment

Originally posted by BarW View Post
                    Didn't have a good enough seal on the muffs to push water out the tattle tail. Sounds fine.
                    Do you have a water pressure gauge?
                    My SHO only has a dribble of water come out when running hard so I just pay attention to the water pressure gauge.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
                    Have you tried to clean it out? Weed eater line will usually get it done.

Comment

You need rectangular muffs for a yamaha.

Comment

How long did you leave the motor on ? Mine usually takes a few seconds before it’s starts peeing.

Comment

I never get a stream out the telltale when on the muffs - dont worry

Comment

Dirt daubers! Stick a small wire in the end of the tube. Bet it’ll start peein’ right away.

Comment

Sho’s take a different type of muff. The intakes are not positioned like older motors. If I’m right it is located towards the front of lower unit, not the sides. The garden hose hookup is for flushing & not for running engine per sat. That is why you didn’t get a stream.

Comment

Working...
                              X