Colorado Bend SP Success stories...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The kid was drawn today for the Either Sex, December 21st thru the 23rd hunt at Colorado Bend SP. I'd love to show him some successful hunts if you've got one you'd like to share.

He took his first deer/buck last year at Mason Mountain and then took his first good buck at the 587 ranch which just so happens to border the Colorado Bend SP a few weeks later.

I'm surprised he drew this hunt and I like his chances.

Good luck fellas!

Comment

It’s been a while since I hunted it, but ask for the compartment left of the campground on the river. If you get it, check out behind the dump which is on top of the hill before you drop down to the campgrounds. Also take the trail that goes along the river to the primitive camp sites and go way past it. You can thank me later!!!

Comment

Originally posted by sqiggy View Post
        It’s been a while since I hunted it, but ask for the compartment left of the campground on the river. If you get it, check out behind the dump which is on top of the hill before you drop down to the campgrounds. Also take the trail that goes along the river to the primitive camp sites and go way past it. You can thank me later!!!

These are the two compartments that split the campgrounds at the river. North is up, compartment 5 is the Western parcel and 4 the Eastern parcel outlined in magenta. I assume you’re talking about compartment 4 and thanks for the heads up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
        Last edited by Chad C; 09-02-2020, 03:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon B View Post
          Good luck fellas!

Thank you, sir.

Comment

On the map Chad C shows, look for that long stretch of clearing on the north end. Before you get to it, there is a draw to the west. Shot a 21-22" auodad in their 15 years ago. I was walking within 50 ft of deer when I walked along the river.

Comment

My son and daughter each killed a buck there on a youth hunt 6-7 years ago. We hunted toward the front gate. Saw lots of deer.

Comment

Congrats on the draw for your son.

My son drew there in 2018 and we had a blast and he was lucky enough to shoot a doe. We hunted compartment 4 near the front of the compartment. Here is the recap thread I did of his hunt.

I still have the map of how they split the compartments up that year if you need/want it. It could have changed but may give you a few spots in each compartment to look at before you get there.

Comment

Originally posted by Rounder View Post
                  Congrats on the draw for your son.

My son drew there in 2018 and we had a blast and he was lucky enough to shoot a doe. We hunted compartment 4 near the front of the compartment. Here is the recap thread I did of his hunt.

I still have the map of how they split the compartments up that year if you need/want it. It could have changed but may give you a few spots in each compartment to look at before you get there.

I’d Love to have it, I think I shot you a PM.

Comment

Yessir. I don’t remember the compartment # but what you are calling 4 is it. The trail along the river, my nephew shot a doe and a big beautiful 10 point. My brother missed a big 8, how, he doesn’t know. He never misses!!
                    Then I missed a big ole 9 point with my bow on top of the hill behind the dump ground.

Comment

Originally posted by Chad C View Post
                      I’d Love to have it, I think I shot you a PM.

Map sent your way. Let me know if you don't get it and I would be more than happy to answer any questions that you have (with my limited knowledge of the park).

Comment

Originally posted by Rounder View Post
                        Map sent your way. Let me know if you don't get it and I would be more than happy to answer any questions that you have (with my limited knowledge of the park).

Thank you, sir! I’ll take a look at it.

Comment

My sons drew there about 6 years ago. Got a small buck and a doe and saw several others. Just try to find open areas (tough to do in some compartments) and pitch out the corn. Deer will find it and you should be in business.

One of the unusual parts about the hunt that I wasn't too excited about was they gave us (2 kids and 2 adults) compartment 4 (I believe from your map) but we had to share it with another dad/son. Three hunters total in the compartment. We basically just split the compartment, we took the high part and they took the area along the river/campground. Never felt unsafe but just unusual to share a compartment, especially during a gun hunt.

Comment

congrats and best of luck. My son has is 14 and has been applying since he was 9 and has never been selected for any hunt through TPWD.

Comment

My daughter drew that hunt 3 seasons ago. We saw plenty of decent 8 points while driving in to set up camp, but not during our hunt. She shot her first two does though.

As noted, you may end up grouped with other hunters in a compartment. We split up our compartment easily based on the abilities of the kids. (4 kids, three dads). The guy with two kids had a more wide open part since his oldest was an accomplished shot and old enough to hunt on his own. My hunting partner and I divided the rest of the unit and all three of us dads made sure to coordinate fields of fire to make sure we were safe.

Cell service is spotty at best, if you use a GPS app download the map before you leave home. There is a hill along the main road with decent service at the top so you will be able to check in with home there.

If you’re camping there I don’t think that had any sites with electricity (maybe for RVs, but I don’t think so).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X