• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In. Great project

Comment

In as well.

Comment

Ok so not much was done this weekend. I had hoped to start cutting down the cab, and thought all I had to do prior to that was pull the seats and carpet--yeah right. Well... I started with the passenger side seat and it would not budge. Had to move it forward to access the rear bolts holding it down. Looked underneath and the runners were wrapped in heavy electrical wire due to some malfunction with their slider mechanism. Cut all the wires, hit the runner with a 3pd hammer and nothing. Got out Mr. Sawsall and went to town on the seat frame. Finally got all the seats out and jerked out the carpet. One fully sweat soaked Tshirt, and I was done for the day. Just a couple lousy interior pics of 2 hrs worth of work.

Kind of a funny side story. So I was about to move the Dakota back off the driveway to its spot of glory near our driveway after working on it, when my wife came out. At this very moment, I had the realization that I had no seat to sit on anymore. Hmm...I grabbed a 1 gallon paint can and rode on that. She thinks (and knows) that I am nuts.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by hboy35; 07-18-2019, 12:21 PM.

Comment

Oh, and it pains me to tell this part of the story. After having it posted on Craigslist for months and several FB groups with zero interest, I finally decided to just send the 1947 KB5 frame and drive train to the scrap yard. My son and I moved it out to the road and he had a buddy come with a trailer and haul it off. Happy to have the space back at the house, but kinda shed a tear for the old girl. My son sent me this pic.
          Attached Files

Comment

Here is one before they came to get her.
            Attached Files

Comment

I went out Sunday afternoon (should have stuck with keeping the Sabbath holy) to work some on it. It would not idle. Would start and then die. Start and die. Had to keep it above 1k rpms. Was very frustrated and confused. Had I cut a necessary wire? Was it the plug wires, throttle butterfly, plugs, old fuel, distributor cap, rotation of the earth?

The battery would barely turn it over. Finally would just click the solenoid. Frustrated I threw the new trolling motor battery in that I knew was fully charged.

Cranked it--it started--it idled like a champ!!! I read later that night on a dodge forum that some of the computers require like 13.1 V or they wig out. I would not have believed it had I not experienced it.

After I "fixed" it, I forgot my paint bucket and drove it back to its place of glory just sitting on the floor and barely looking over the dash.

Comment

Originally posted by hboy35 View Post
                Oh, and it pains me to tell this part of the story.
                Consider it kind of like a hip or knee replacement. You're replacing the parts that don't work well anymore, but your still keeping the old body up and moving!

Can't wait to see it finished.

Comment

super cool idea

Comment

Originally posted by hboy35 View Post
                    Here is one before they came to get her.
                    Should of kept the wheels at least

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtymike View Post
                      Should of kept the wheels at least
                      Those would have looked really cool cleaned up and powder coated matte black and chrome nuts with a new set of shoes

Comment

Thread potential level: epic.

Looking forward to following.

Comment

a lighter load

So, made a little more headway, and headroom, this past weekend. My 19yo son and I spent the day cutting off the cab. Basically cut off just below the windshield and around the base of the cab. Pulled the doors. Drove it down to the barn Sunday and had two of my sons and their friend lift the cab and roll it off on the ground.
                          Attached Files

Comment

In for awesome

Comment

Thats awesome we used to have a KB 6 when i was a kid!

Comment

Tuned in for this one. Curious about using a dakota frame. Seems to me it would be better on a 3/4 ton frame, but should be nice either way.

Comment

Working...
                                X