80s Kids....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
    Our bikes were everything to us, as well. Transportation, means to jump stuff, and means to get to the fishin hole. We took all the brakes off, kickstand, chain guards, reflectors....anything that could clog up with mud, or added weight. We put the really fat tires on the front so they would float across the mud and not dig in, and the really skinny one on the rear for the opposite reason. Everyone had a "barbell wrench" taped to the frame. Some of the wrecks were legendary. When dad had a dirt pile delivered in his never ending quest to level his yard....it was like Christmas!

I had a Diamond Back Viper until my sister ran over it with dad's truck, then I bought a Dyno VFR saving up beer cans from deer camp.

He found my old skateboard in his barn a couple months ago. That was a short, but painful stage.

Oh man, that brings back memories. I had a Santa Cruz ramp board very similar to that. Trying to kick flip that heavy sonofagun was not easy. It was super smooth on pavement though and wouldn’t get caught on pebbles or cracks like those tiny wheel street boards would

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
      **** I figured your first mode of transportation was a horse..

We had a creek down the street that we would find bicycles dumped in it. It was our parts department. We would piece together bikes because if we got a new one for Christmas or birthday, it would get stolen within a month.
      I took a 27" bike and stuck about 4 or 5 sets of forks together and make a chopper. Problem was I put a lawnmower wheel on front. It was cool looking, but dangerous as hell to ride.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldeneagle View Post

We had a creek down the street that we would find bicycles dumped in it. It was our parts department. We would piece together bikes because if we got a new one for Christmas or birthday, it would get stolen within a month.
        I took a 27" bike and stuck about 4 or 5 sets of forks together and make a chopper. Problem was I put a lawnmower wheel on front. It was cool looking, but dangerous as hell to ride.

LOL...that's quite creative! Living in small town Taft we didn't really have an issue with theft thankfully...but we didn't have a supply of parts like you did either...

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
          Our bikes were everything to us, as well. Transportation, means to jump stuff, and means to get to the fishin hole. We took all the brakes off, kickstand, chain guards, reflectors....anything that could clog up with mud, or added weight. We put the really fat tires on the front so they would float across the mud and not dig in, and the really skinny one on the rear for the opposite reason. Everyone had a "barbell wrench" taped to the frame. Some of the wrecks were legendary. When dad had a dirt pile delivered in his never ending quest to level his yard....it was like Christmas!

I had a Diamond Back Viper until my sister ran over it with dad's truck, then I bought a Dyno VFR saving up beer cans from deer camp.

He found my old skateboard in his barn a couple months ago. That was a short, but painful stage.

Brings back memories!! I was a skater back in the 80s. That board is probably worth about $700 now, as vintage skateboards are highly collected now. Sure wish I had all my old Powell Peralta boards still.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
            LOL...that's quite creative! Living in small town Taft we didn't really have an issue with theft thankfully...but we didn't have a supply of parts like you did either...
            Welcome to S. Oak Cliff baby!

Comment

That movie is SO great that even now the awards haven’t stopped coming in. Even the cameras that were used in the filming received awards.

Comment

Originally posted by charrell71 View Post
                Brings back memories!! I was a skater back in the 80s. That board is probably worth about $700 now, as vintage skateboards are highly collected now. Sure wish I had all my old Powell Peralta boards still.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I’ll take $700 for it![emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Memories...boy did I go through the bmx craze. Can't recall if my first was the rampar or mongoose, but the Redline was by far the best / favorite. It's probably a good thing I didn't do dirt bikes till the 90's or wouldn't be posting.

We were into swiping the chrome cap / tire valve stems & would replace the ones on the bike with the ones we took...the big rigs had the best ones.

Comment

What Hot dog was to snow skiing
                    RAD was to BMX.

Funny when I was young painful to watch now.

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
                      Memories...boy did I go through the bmx craze. Can't recall if my first was the rampar or mongoose, but the Redline was by far the best / favorite. It's probably a good thing I didn't do dirt bikes till the 90's or wouldn't be posting.

We were into swiping the chrome cap / tire valve stems & would replace the ones on the bike with the ones we took...the big rigs had the best ones.
                      I earned plenty of scrapes, broken pedal cranks, forks, rims, and at least one cracked tailbone. The latter occurred from hanging some serious air on a tall creek bank that I jumped several times.

Comment

You guys are bringing back the memories ..

Uninseat, mushroom grips, kkt or bear trap (or was it claws) pedals, z rims , skyway mags..... and on and on.
                        I went from a mongoose to a redline to I think it was a torker.

The wanna be thugs could swipe a bike and have it stripped down in an attic in minutes.

Remember ordering parts from the back of magazines?
                        I utilized the COD option more than a few times.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveC View Post
                          You guys are bringing back the memories ..

Uninseat, mushroom grips, kkt or bear trap (or was it claws) pedals, z rims , skyway mags..... and on and on.
                          I went from a mongoose to a redline to I think it was a torker.

The wanna be thugs could swipe a bike and have it stripped down in an attic in minutes.

Remember ordering parts from the back of magazines?
                          I utilized the COD option more than a few times.

Bear Claws.....shin destroyers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Guess this belongs in here.

Comment

I don’t remember the movie too well, but I still remember the scars and busted shins and knees from jumping bikes on our homemade ramp at the end of the driveway. Our bike riding decreased once we got the small 4 wheelers

Comment

Originally posted by Goldeneagle View Post
                                Yes you were!

We had to pick up coke bottles and take them to get the deposit.
                                Actually it was the only time we ever got allowance. It was 2 bucks a week if we did our chores. I did all my chores and saved every penny just to buy that bike. There was a guy on our block that built and sold them from spare parts. Our allowance ended after a couple months because my brothers wouldn't do their chores (or at least that's the way I remember it....they would probably tell a different story [emoji16]). Anyway, after that first bike, every other bike I had was a homemade one that I built myself. I never had a new bike.
                                Speaking of pop bottles. I used to scrounge the dumpsters near some apartments close to where we lived and get pop bottles and aluminum cans. Saturday and Sunday mornings were a prime time for beer cans after the Friday n Saturday night party's. Sometimes I'd get lucky n find whole garbage bags full of just beer cans and there was a mobile recycle truck right around the corner from those apartments in the Kmart parking lot. I knocked both my front teeth out in that parking lot on a bike. The whole parking lot was downhill and I would fly down it and take the curve at the bottom into those apartments. I started pedaling hard at the bottom into the turn and my chain came off, my foot slipped off the pedal which caught me in the back of calf and I went head first over the handle bars and face planted into the pavement. Knocked both front teeth out at the root. Dentist was able to put them back in and they rerooted. I also ground all the hide off the end of my nose down to the cartilage too. Good times man...

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X