Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Serious question about hunting, kids, and marriage.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MASTERS View Post
    Most of the people that complain about a wife and little ones slowing down their hunting were gatherers at heart, but hunted because it was cool at the time that their friends were doing it.....

Comment

I think these days parents turned from worshiping God to worshiping children. They put their focus on whatever the children want to do which is why their daily schedules are insane. Parents allow children to dictate schedules. It used to be that if a kid's schedule didn't align with the family's schedule, the parents said, "No, we are not going to do that. Find something that will work with our priorities."

That said, parents are called made to feel like they are bad if they don't show up for the kids' practice, the kids' games, the kids' ... whatever. So if you make time to attend even 1 game and 1 practice for each kid and you have 2 kids participating in 2-4 activities, you ain't gonna have time for hunting, fishing, or anything else. I feel bad for parents that get this peer pressure.

My dad worked 60-80 hour weeks 52 weeks of the year. My mom raised 3 kids that were the same age. She always made time to attend a few games a season for me. She always made time to drop me off and pick me up from practice. My parents always had time for each of us when we needed it.

Comment

Originally posted by Aggiehunter08 View Post
        Great thread OP! Simply put you have 2 types of hunters: (1.) those that love it and (2.) those that like it. Regardless of wife & kids type 1 or 2 determine how much time is spent outdoors.

Or 3 those who love it but put their family time first.

I truly love hunting and fishing...just not as much as my family.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
          I think these days parents turned from worshiping God to worshiping children. They put their focus on whatever the children want to do which is why their daily schedules are insane. Parents allow children to dictate schedules. It used to be that if a kid's schedule didn't align with the family's schedule, the parents said, "No, we are not going to do that. Find something that will work with our priorities."

That said, parents are called made to feel like they are bad if they don't show up for the kids' practice, the kids' games, the kids' ... whatever. So if you make time to attend even 1 game and 1 practice for each kid and you have 2 kids participating in 2-4 activities, you ain't gonna have time for hunting, fishing, or anything else. I feel bad for parents that get this peer pressure.

My dad worked 60-80 hour weeks 52 weeks of the year. My mom raised 3 kids that were the same age. She always made time to attend a few games a season for me. She always made time to drop me off and pick me up from practice. My parents always had time for each of us when we needed it.
          Great post

Comment

Originally posted by lodgepole View Post
            Or 3 those who love it but put their family time first.

I truly love hunting and fishing...just not as much as my family.

It’s either 1 or 2. Don’t amend my post

Comment

This...... this is how I was raised. This is how I think/feel. Seems like people like you and I are the extreme minority these days. We are considered “bad” because we don’t feel like giving up every second of time we have free to go sit at a ball field or a gymnasium.....for years on end. There is so much more I could add to this, but I don’t want anyone feeling like they need to defend their priorities. That’s not what this thread is about. I’ve greatly enjoyed the different views.

Comment

100% disagree and calling it peer pressure for supporting your kids is an interesting choice of words for showing love and interest.
                Last edited by tfrye; 12-03-2019, 03:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor73402 View Post
                  This...... this is how I was raised. This is how I think/feel. Seems like people like you and I are the extreme minority these days. We are considered “bad” because we don’t feel like giving up every second of time we have free to go sit at a ball field or a gymnasium.....for years on end. There is so much more I could add to this, but I don’t want anyone feeling like they need to defend their priorities. That’s not what this thread is about. I’ve greatly enjoyed the different views.
                  I was raised the same way.

Its just different with kiddos. I could hunt this evening but instead I'm going to pick my daughter up from daycare, enjoy the beautiful weather for a few hours, eat dinner by 6:00, and help the wife have the kiddos in bed by 7:30

Comment

Serious question about hunting, kids, and marriage.

This may sounds insanely selfish but one of the reasons my kids don’t play any sports ( little league) is the fact the wife and I just don’t have time to be running them all over town for practice 2-3 nights a week till 8pm and to games all weekend. I have better things that we can do at a family besides sitting at a ball park watching people live through their children. I have friend I see on high school spending every weekend watching their kids play ball and virtually complaining about it. Call me selfish if you want but I had much rather spend my time and money hunting or fishing with my wife and kids than sitting at a ball field.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    Last edited by Mayhem; 12-03-2019, 03:35 PM.

Comment

Looks like dad worshiped work?

Comment

Originally posted by Aggiehunter08 View Post
                        It’s either 1 or 2. Don’t amend my post

Just adding a different perspective.

I don’t consider any time with my family as a waste. I truly don’t understand the NEED for hunting. I enjoy hunting, love hunting...I don’t need it. As has already been mentioned here my kids are only little/young once. This is only my perspective and I am lucky that my kids enjoy the outdoors but I also have enjoyed the volleyball, soccer, softball, cheer, baseball etc. would not change all to time I spent in the stands for any more time in the woods.

I do miss a lot of time due to travel for work but I will not miss time with them for my selfish reasons.

Just me.

Comment

Balance, and priorities...I tell my son that the world doesn’t stop for baseball, just like it doesn’t stop for deer season, or school for that matter. We try to do everything fun we can cram into our free time. But in the end, life waits for no hobby, and it’s up to his mother and I what he does and when.

Peer pressure?lol Are we still in middle school?

Last edited by Dale Moser; 12-03-2019, 03:54 PM.

Comment

Come on now....let’s keep this cool and pleasant. This has been a great read.

Comment

Time is the most valuable commodity in the world. You have a limited supply and don’t know when your time is up.

At the end of the day you can choose to spend your time any way you want. Just remember that it is all you have.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
                                This may sounds insanely selfish but one of the reasons my kids don’t play any sports ( little league) is the fact the wife and I just don’t have time to be running them all over town for practice 2-3 nights a week till 8pm and to games all weekend. I have better things that we can do at a family besides sitting at a ball park watching people live through their children. I have friend I see on high school spending every weekend watching their kids play ball and virtually complaining about it. Call me selfish if you want but I had much rather spend my time and money hunting or fishing with my wife and kids than sitting at a ball field.

Amen!
                                Luckily, my son didn't care for ball sports & liked going to the country instead. He tried it for a bit & got tired of it. I went to a couple of games & quit. It was sickening the way the PARENTS acted. You would have thought it was a life & death situation. The kids just wanted to have fun. My daughter got into ROTC of all things. She advanced through the ranks & ended up being the head commander or whatever they were called. I went to her drills & was proud of how she made it to the top.
                                Last edited by DUKFVR; 12-03-2019, 03:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X