Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Disputing a hickey on your credit report?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disputing a hickey on your credit report?

Back story: I have never had a single late payment in my entire life. We sold our house in town 3 years ago and I bought my grandfathers 40ac. My grandad is still alive and is living in the house. My wife thought it would be a good idea to buy a nice mobile home, live in it until my grandfather passed and then do a full renovation on his house and use the mobile home as a rental. No problem. I put $30k down and financed $50k at 5.9% for 48 months.

Decided to just pay it off this August, 12 months early. Called for pay-off, mailed them them check certified and got confirmation it was received. Fast forward to yesterday.

I get a phone call and a message from someone at the credit union. Call them back and they they say it is an attempt to collect a debt. Come to find out, there was some confusion or something on when the payoff arrived and I ended up actually owing them $11.62 additional. No big deal, but it’s the first I hear about it. Told them to take it out of one of my accounts.

Get a notice from Credit Karma tonight that I have a late payment and my score has dropped 62 points to 757.

Never dealt with this....is their a way to fight it? Can the Credit Union remove this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They have to have some form of proof that they notified you of the outstanding debt. If they reported the debt without notifying you, you can dispute it as unvalidated. The same scenario happened to me with Directv years ago. Cancelled the service and sent them what they said I owed. Found out about it on a credit monitoring service, and The collection agency couldn't validate so I disputed and it was removed. Some stupid amount like $7.

Comment

Dang son! I thought I had good credit score!

Comment

for that amount and scenario I would get the credit union to remove it. yes they have a way, problem is you will need to find someone there who knows the process to submit that kind of request.

Comment

Going to be tough to dispute since you admitted the debt was yours.

Comment

I doubt the CU made a claim that hit your credit. Check your score from a legit source. Credit Karma is in business to sell stuff and cause fear.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Sika View Post
              Going to be tough to dispute since you admitted the debt was yours.

They got their money a year in advance. I could have kept making payments until Aug 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by JayB View Post
                I doubt the CU made a claim that hit your credit. Check your score from a legit source. Credit Karma is in business to sell stuff and cause fear.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

They did. I intentionally went directly to Equifax and it shows the credit union’s name ....and a past due balance of $0.00, but it still shows past due.

Comment

Do you have a hard copy or email where you requested the payoff amount?
                  May be a way to prove to lien holder that you are in the right. Will take some leg work on your end

Comment

Also reread it carefully if you do, Most will have payoff amount if paid by this date.

Comment

Does it reflect as a late payment or a collection? Big difference. If a collection, it is easy to get knocked off. You're pretty much stuck with late payments unless you can talk the credit union into pulling it off.

Comment

Change your race to black transgender and it goes up 105 points.

If you are white, no change

If God forbid you are a “white hispanic” a term coined in 2012 and first assigned to George Zimmerman meaning a right wing or gun toting,job holding, God worshiping, flag saluting, family oriented, legal citizen...no hope !

Comment

Go to all three credit bureaus and file a dispute. They will send a notice to the lender and the lender will either respond, correct or not respond. If they don’t respond, it is my understanding that the derogatory remark is removed. Hopefully they respond agreeing with you and the bureaus update/remove the late payment

Comment

Every time I have paid off property, I get a release of lien. Did you not get one?

Comment

Find where the credit union provided you the payoff amount. Go to them and have it fixed. If they won’t raise hell and close your accounts

Comment

Working...
                              X