R I P Evinrude

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hogslayer78 View Post
    The old evinrude/Johnson motors were great. When omc filed chapter 11 in 2000 and bombardier took over that was the eventual death of Evinrude!
    My thoughts exactly

Comment

Wow, I wouldn't have predicted this.

Comment

Originally posted by bermise View Post
        Easy to give a 10 year warranty on a engine when you stop producing it after a few years. Something is definitely off, they use covid as the reason but that is not true.
        My thoughts exactly.

Comment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

We had a Johnson 120 back in the early 90's. One of those older 90 degree v designs. That sucker would drink gas, consume plenty of oil and would spit exhaust like no other. However, that was one of the most reliable boat motors we ever owned.

It seems in the mid 90's OMC went to a 60 degree design and had tons of issues. At the same time, Mercury's Optimax (I think) was great and Yamaha also had a reliable 2-stroke on the market. Then the push to 4-stroke motors sealed the deal I guess.

Comment

Well this sucks never fails. Get something and three months later they shut the doors . I knew I didn’t want a evinrude . When I purchased another boat dang salesman talked me into it .

Comment

You think the dealers will be giving big discounts on all those motors sitting around?

Comment

Hopefully they will retain replacement parts, should be a Johnson clone. 98 200HP Vindicator on the back of my rig.

Comment

I owned three of them over the years, an 18, a 25, and a 70. All were good motors and tough as hell. I really put the 18 and 25 through some rough stuff, jumping logs in the rivers, and stumps in the lakes.

Comment

Have had several etech and now a g2 and they have always been good motors for me. Was going to get another g2 on my new boat next year...not sure which direction to go now. I hate mercs with a passion.

Hopefully they will stand by their warranties if any problems come up.

Comment

Well maybe now I can get a good deal on a G2 for my next boat!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
                          ETEC wrote that death certificate years ago
                          Yep. OMC introduced the Ficht at the Classic in ‘96, and there were lots of issues. I told the guy in charge of the staff fishermen that there was no way I could run a ficht engine guiding as much as I did. I ran the Intruder for a couple more years. THAT was a good engine.

Comment

the wuhon flu didn't wreck evinrude, their horrible quality did. Those ETECs are the biggest wads of poop on the market. they had to give 8-10 year warranties just to move the things, and that's probably what bit them in the butt.

I have so many friends that were running them, and especially with the 300's, had non stop issues. injectors, power heads, and steering.. one of my friends had a 2016 300, and his was in the shop 9-10 times in the first 75 hours. I pulled him back from baffin one day while he had only about 35 hours on it. that's just nuts.
                            Last edited by kyle1974; 05-28-2020, 12:52 PM.

Comment

For the guys “in the know” what’s so terrible about the Etech engines?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                                For the guys “in the know” what’s so terrible about the Etech engines?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                                too little oil burn was leading to injector issues and power heads blowing. You just can't have proper lubrication in a 2 stroke with the oil use set so low. One of my best friends just smoked his 3rd powerhead last week with 165 hours on it. The motor itself has under 500 hours, and this will be his 3rd powerhead. they supposedly had it figured out when he blew one last year.

the electric over hydraulic steering was also an issue for a lot of people. they put a lot of electronics for things that really didn't need it, and that just seemed to cause more issues. I had a couple friends that finally abandoned it, and ran the boat with the rack/pinion default it had when the steering electronics failed.

there was an array of issues with sensors that would cause the engine to go into limp mode, forcing you to shut down for 20 minutes or so before restarting, and running full speed again.

by and large, I've seen way more issues on the 300 than any other size though. I think people will be hearing a lot more stories in the next year or so. Pro deals are gone now, and the incentives to run one are gone with them. No one has to BS anymore about how great a motor is because it's part of the deal for the reduced cost they sold them to guides for .
                                Last edited by kyle1974; 05-28-2020, 01:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X