What Video Camera for Kayaking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What Video Camera for Kayaking

Just got into kayaking and have the whole family into it. We would really like to mount a camera like a go pro on the kayak. Any suggestions on which camera. Should we go with the go pro or is there one that is better for this application.

I would think GoPro would be about perfect for your situation, and it takes awesome video. I’m sure others more knowledgeable than me will chime in. I love watching kayak river trips on YouTube, especially if they involve a remote place like the Pecos or the Devils river.

Comment

The Gopro style, or any action camera is a great option for a kayak. I've never purchased a real Gopro, rather I use the off-brand versions of the Gopro. These allow you to use every Gopro accessory, but only cost about $40-50 each. Over the years I've purchased four of these from Amazon. So for, three still working fine, lost one somewhere. Glad that I only lost a $50 camera, and not a real Gopro. I have one offshore kayak fishing video posted here...if you want to see what that looks like.

Comment

Originally posted by GregO View Post
        The Gopro style, or any action camera is a great option for a kayak. I've never purchased a real Gopro, rather I use the off-brand versions of the Gopro. These allow you to use every Gopro accessory, but only cost about $40-50 each. Over the years I've purchased four of these from Amazon. So for, three still working fine, lost one somewhere. Glad that I only lost a $50 camera, and not a real Gopro. I have one offshore kayak fishing video posted here...if you want to see what that looks like.
        Do you recall what brand you purchased. Thank you.

Comment

Well the wife just sent me a text that she bought the new go pro 7.

Comment

A lot depends on your intended distribution. How important is stabilized footage? Will you need decent audio or are you essentially making a "music video" (or narrative) overlaying the footage over an audio track?

I've been using DJI Osmo Action for my most recent kayak vids. It is on par with the Hero 7 in terms of image stabilization (pretty incredible) and audio quality ("usable" and definitely better than from any action cam inside a housing.)
            My Flickr Photos

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Warren View Post
              Well the wife just sent me a text that she bought the new go pro 7.
              Excellent choice!
              My Flickr Photos

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                Excellent choice!
                I am an entry level kayaker and video maker. I watched the reviews and options on this camera and the technology in the stabilization is amazing.

Comment

Working...
                X