Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2019 Gardening thread

It’s that time again.
    I have my tomato seedlings started and they’re growing like weeds. I'll get my cucumber seeds started in a couple of weeks.

I already have broccoli, Brussels sprouts and onions planted. They’re coming along fine as well.
    The asparagus I planted last year will be ready to harvest some this year! It’s been a long wait.
    I’ve weeded and added 500 pounds of compost to the rest of the beds. I’m ready for March to get here so I can get more stuff in the ground.
    Last edited by scotty; 01-24-2019, 04:15 PM.

I'm in.Totally organic, no till, deep hay mulched garden. Growing now: broccoli, cauliflower, red green and napa cabbage, spinach, turnips, collards, mustards, kale, carrots[ red purple and orange ] endive, red and green mizuna, radicchio, kohlrabi, snow peas, brussell sprouts, celery, shallots, onions, garlic, cilantro, water cress, swiss chard, beets, lettuce, dandelion...

Will be cranking up the green house next week starting spring seedlings.
    Attached Files

Comment

Here is an experiment. I started this ' back to eden' style wood chip garden last summer. First put a 6" layer of horse manure and wood chip compost down over grassy lawn and covered with tarps to smoother any grass.. Then about a month ago I put about a foot of wood chips on top.Not sure how it will do this summer but expect to have continual improvement as the chips begin melting. Will plant some corn, sweet potatoes, squashes, melons and other things that require a lot of space first go round. Should be interesting.

Thats an apple tree in the bed. Though adding a serpent would be appropriate for the 'back to eden ' approach..
      Attached Files

Comment

My wife's gardenspot is so wet, I haven't even been able to even get in it to turn it over from last Fall... It's a marsh right now... not sure how it's going to go this year, but it ain't lookin' too good right now...

Comment

Me and my wife bought a new house and I mowed an area to start our new garden this past weekend. I’m excited to get it going!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
            Here is an experiment. I started this ' back to eden' style wood chip garden last summer. First put a 6" layer of horse manure and wood chip compost down over grassy lawn and covered with tarps to smoother any grass.. Then about a month ago I put about a foot of wood chips on top.Not sure how it will do this summer but expect to have continual improvement as the chips begin melting. Will plant some corn, sweet potatoes, squashes, melons and other things that require a lot of space first go round. Should be interesting.

Thats an apple tree in the bed. Though adding a serpent would be appropriate for the 'back to eden ' approach..
            I like the Ruth Stout style of the no till, deep hay/straw deep mulch than the Back to Eden. One is because I can get my hands on hay/straw easier than composted wood chips. Second is that the hay/straw breaks down a lot quicker to help the soil. I know the Back to Eden works well if you have the wood chip supply, so hope yours turns out great.
            I only have some broccoli going right now because I don't really do a winter garden and my time away hunting.
            This weekend ends duck season so things should be picking up in the garden.

Comment

Originally posted by No-Tox View Post
              I like the Ruth Stout style of the no till, deep hay/straw deep mulch than the Back to Eden. One is because I can get my hands on hay/straw easier than composted wood chips. Second is that the hay/straw breaks down a lot quicker to help the soil. I know the Back to Eden works well if you have the wood chip supply, so hope yours turns out great.
              I only have some broccoli going right now because I don't really do a winter garden and my time away hunting.
              This weekend ends duck season so things should be picking up in the garden.
              I'm a big fan of the Ruth Stout method and It has done wonders for my garden soil. I can get alfalfa hay easily and I pile it on and keep it thick then burrow rows or holes to plant into.

I also have had a big challenge getting wood chips and had to buy a truck load for the new garden. It will be interesting to compare. Progress will be reported.

Comment

Glad to see this one going again. I have planted spinach, and cilantro already, carrots and onions will go in in the next couple of days. Some Cabbage and tomato plants starting inside.

Comment

Winter garden is going nuts. Brocoli, lettuce(mixed leaf and romaine), bunching onions, radish, cilantro, swiss chard, garlic and spinach. Hoping to get table onions and carrots planted today. My brother came across a greenhouse last fall, so all of the tomato and pepper seeds were started last week.

Comment

thanks for adding another “to do”
                    to my list scott

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have been working in my garden this week, but is still to wet!!!

Comment

Mine is essentially the no till back to eden garden as well. I added woodchips at the beginning. You can get a 50lb bag of wood chip at Home Depot for like $3..just get the all natural and not the chemically dyed woodchips. I have been topping it all summer long with grass cuttings. Grass clippings break down tremendously fast. Also all kitchen scraps go directly into the garden , bypassing the composting headache. Thought it would become a mess but the food breaks down quickly as well.

Comment

All you guys using hay and grass clippings as mulch and such, what do you do to combat all the seeds in the grass/hay? Only time I ever used hay in my wife's garden, we fought Johnson grass and Bahia all spring and summer... worst grass/weed problem we ever had...

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                            All you guys using hay and grass clippings as mulch and such, what do you do to combat all the seeds in the grass/hay? Only time I ever used hay in my wife's garden, we fought Johnson grass and Bahia all spring and summer... worst grass/weed problem we ever had...
                            I've used straw before with the same issues....never again!

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                              I don't let my grass and any weeds in it get high enough to seed. The ONLY problem I have is that dang yellow nutsedge weed. I am now sure this stuff can push through solid cement and sprout. And if you don't hand pull it out just right you leave the root pods still intact and it pops right back up in a week. That is without a doubt the devils weed where I live.

Comment

Working...
                              X