Help with implements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with implements

I'm working on clearing some land for a good plot. Never done one and have a lot to learn. It bought an atv to help with clearing, discing, spraying, etc. My question is what implements do I need? Originally I was just going to get a disc, but I can get a whole system for a little more.

Lift System $110 - http://m.ebay.com/itm/390875681367?nav=SEARCH

Disc Plow $270 - http://m.ebay.com/itm/390875681369?nav=SEARCH

Or I can get the whole system for $700 - http://m.ebay.com/itm/390875681373?nav=SEARCH

It's obviously a better value to get everything, but if I don't need it there's no need to spend the money.

Bump

Comment

I don't know what type of soil you have but if it's not soft most of those implements won't do much good. They just simply lack the weight to break to ground

Comment

Originally posted by Reaper87 View Post
        I don't know what type of soil you have but if it's not soft most of those implements won't do much good. They just simply lack the weight to break to ground
        We have some harder clay areas, but where I'm doing the plot is extremely soft ground. The reviews for these implements are pretty good, so I think they will work. I just need to figure out which ones I will need.

Comment

Unless you soils is almost sand like I dont see those working. They don't appear to be heavy enough or sturdy enough. that being said I would get the package deal.

Comment

I would save my money.

You really don't need to break the ground at all if you plant crops with small seeds. Cereal Rye, clover, chicory, kale, radishes, and turnips are small enough that all you need to do is spray the existing weeds in the plot and broadcast into the thatch before a good rain.

If the existing weeds are really tall you may need to mow it but you don't have to break the ground to have a great fall food plot.

I had a great plot last fall doing this.

Comment

I'm thinking that the implements are a waste of money. You aren't going to do much with a disc harrow that weighs 44 pounds.

I ended up putting two 55 gallon barrels of water on my disc to help it penetrate and it is only a 72 inch double gang. It probably weighs five or six hundred pounds before I added the weight and just made a nice track prior to adding the weight.

If you catch the ground really soft like after a rain you may get a couple of inches of penetration.

You don't have any friends with tractors to bust it up the first time?

Comment

The attachment to the 4wheeler with the crank, can you also put down pressure on the implements? If so, then I don't see why it wouldn't work, especially if you do have soft ground. If that's not the case though, I don't see them being heavy enough to break ground either.

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
                  I would save my money.

You really don't need to break the ground at all if you plant crops with small seeds. Cereal Rye, clover, chicory, kale, radishes, and turnips are small enough that all you need to do is spray the existing weeds in the plot and broadcast into the thatch before a good rain.

If the existing weeds are really tall you may need to mow it but you don't have to break the ground to have a great fall food plot.

I had a great plot last fall doing this.
                  Okay, that's an interesting option I hadn't considered. I went out on Sunday and started clearing and spraying.

I dropped off the soil sample today and was planning to disc in fertilizer and lime as needed.

What would you recommend if I don't use implements? Should I just kill the grass/weeds, rake it to expose soil, throw seed, and skip the fertilizer/lime?

Comment

Here is a video of the tine plow, looks like its digging in pretty good

The Impact Implements Chisel / Tine Plow is a perfect implement for initial soil preparation. Six beveled edge, spring steel tines cut through hard pack soil...

Comment

Most of the reviews I've read for these products have been good. This guy had a pretty good write up on the the disc plow.

From what I've been able to find the products work. I'm just not sure what they all do and if I need all of them or just the disc?

Comment

I wouldn't rely on that youtube video. He was running it through a freshly worked riding arena.

Comment

Originally posted by down2hunt View Post
                          Okay, that's an interesting option I hadn't considered. I went out on Sunday and started clearing and spraying.

I dropped off the soil sample today and was planning to disc in fertilizer and lime as needed.

What would you recommend if I don't use implements? Should I just kill the grass/weeds, rake it to expose soil, throw seed, and skip the fertilizer/lime?
                          You don't have to expose the soil. Seeds will germinate in dead thatch very easily.

Here is what I do.

-Spray weeds with Gly.
                          -After a week you will know what kind of kill you got so you can respray if needed.
                          -Broadcast soil amendments (fert/lime)
                          -Broadcast seed
                          -Mow or roll the dead weeds/grass over the top of the seed (if needed).

I will never disc another fall plot....when you can get the same results with much less work. The only implement I use is a mower or cultipacker to roll the thatch after I broadcast seed.

Exclusion cage...Elbon Rye / Oats

Rye and Kale

Comment

Very cool unclefish. Your thread is one of the things that got me excited about doing my own plot. You've had pretty good success, so I'll try that this year and see what kind of results I can get.

Comment

Good deal. Keep us posted this fall!

Comment

Working...
                              X