I/C Peas plot...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I/C Peas plot...

How long until deer will start eating these peas? Planted them end of April, growing really well. Seen a few deer in them but don't seem to be eaten on much yet....

Top 2 pics are 2 weeks after planting, bottom 2 are a month after planting
    Attached Files

Deer will hit it when they get hungry. Plenty of browse now with the recent rains. Looking good btw.

Comment

I had heard they they wouldn't hit the I/C peas at first until they started to bean, then tear them up. I was just curious if that was true for the most part?

Comment

not to worry when the deer get ready for the beans they will wipe out 1 acre plot in 2 days maybe 3. I had a plot last yr and kept them behind elec fence till the peas were thigh high or better and when I opened the plot up the deer wiped them out really fast. So I am trying to put something together where a food plot will feed most of July, Aug and Sept. instead of feeding for a couple of days. Good luckon your spring and summer food plots

Comment

Originally posted by EastTexasMan View Post
          I had heard they they wouldn't hit the I/C peas at first until they started to bean, then tear them up. I was just curious if that was true for the most part?

That has been my experience. Just when I thought they weren't going to eat them, they mowed them all down overnight. I bet the same will happen here but as stated above, they have plenty to eat right now. Keep us posted!

Comment

ETM,
            I have a 5 ac plot that is mostly IC peas and its around knee high. I have it mostly fenced but haven't seen much action either. Fenced only cuz we have cattle on the property. looking at cutting the top two strands to see if that makes a difference. sure hope they take to them. was my first plot, but just not sure how long it takes to get them on it?. planted them also at middle of April.

Comment

Last year we had a 2 acre plot mixed with peas/soybeans and they were hitting it before June. Had to shred in June due to weeds, but they were eating it to the "stalks". I guess this year they have more to eat, we will see!

Comment

Our plots arent getting much action. Weeds are bad this year and they have plenty of green grass and full protein feeders. I will probably turn the cows on the plots July 1 so atleast something will eat it before it burns up.

Comment

July and Aug are the summer stress time for deer. the deer will come, and they will eat some of the weeds also. Deer population also comes into play. But if you wait till Late Sept and Oct. for the fall crops then why open it up for the cattle? Have faith my Brothers

Comment

They are hammering the peas in Oklahoma!

Comment

Originally posted by rascalarms View Post
                      Deer will hit it when they get hungry. Plenty of browse now with the recent rains. Looking good btw.
                      What he said.

Comment

Deer have totally wiped out my 2 acre patch of peas in the last few weeks. Nothing left but the stalks.

Comment

We'll here's an update. U can see where a few deer are hitting the peas and spooked a deer last night in the plot. Got the little man on camera this morning after putting cam up last night... As you can tell we got peas growin tall! Bout a half acre to an acre

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403370051.421102.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	292.8 KB
ID:	24310820

Comment

[ATTACH]629165[/ATTACH]

Comment

wow, thats looks awesome. they are keeping mine mowed down to about 8-12" tall, i have about 2 acres worth.

Comment

Working...
                              X