Mason County Velvet Round 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mason County Velvet Round 2

Enjoy! Still missing a few deer so they are either being shy or I lost them from being run down after the rut. It happens but I do put them on full free choice feed in December to keep that from happening.
    Attached Files

Dang I need a lease! Haha, great looking deer. Good luck this season.

Comment

I hunt off of 386 6 miles northeast of Mason. Your deer are a lot further along than what I have seen on my lease. My first year on the lease and they don't feed year round much less protein. I'm going to try to implement year round feeding next year. Are you on a high fence or just natural genetics with a good management & feed program? I haven't seen any Axis yet but I did see a Blackbuck doe, and was surprised to see Javelina on camera.

Also your grass & weeds look the same as my lease. Everything is green and the wildflower are still everywhere. Good Luck

Comment

Originally posted by careybirdwell View Post
        I hunt off of 386 6 miles northeast of Mason. Your deer are a lot further along than what I have seen on my lease. My first year on the lease and they don't feed year round much less protein. I'm going to try to implement year round feeding next year. Are you on a high fence or just natural genetics with a good management & feed program? I haven't seen any Axis yet but I did see a Blackbuck doe, and was surprised to see Javelina on camera.

Also your grass & weeds look the same as my lease. Everything is green and the wildflower are still everywhere. Good Luck
        We are HF and MLD Lev 3. I took this place over 3 years ago and shut the back gate that was left open for who knows how long and mended all the holes in the fence. We did put 8 Bred Does from a Breeder in Fredonia in here 2 years ago but all the offspring from them are yearlings or fawns so all of the deer we have pix of are Hill Country resident deer.
        We started managing the place by shooting as many does and culls as possible the first 2 years and feeding them heavy. I think the low stress for an Abundance of food, water and Sanctuary is why they are doing so good. I believe that if you thin the herd as much as possible and just keep the eye pleaser's around you will be in a win, win situation.

We have planted 4 Acres of Plots the past 2 years and plan to increase that to 8 or 10 this year. Our neighbor fenced his place in 2000 and just cut his herd in half by culling hard. His deer now dress out around 200+ and he has a few bucks that will bust the 200" mark. Hill Country Deer can and will grow into some Nice Trophies if you manage them, feed them and let the bucks get some age on them. We start culling short main beam 8's at 3.5 yr old. If they have exceptionally long main beams we let them go another year to see if they put on some G4's or character.

We have yet to take a Trophy Deer off of the place and a lot of my buddies think I'm crazy for spending so much $$ and time with this but I enjoy the Challenge and I have 8 more years on my contract so I am not going anywhere for awhile.

Comment

How many acres is your and your neighbors places? My land owner is thinking about fencing?

Comment

Originally posted by bassmatt72 View Post
            How many acres is your and your neighbors places? My land owner is thinking about fencing?
            Ours is 250 and the neighbors is 1000. We also have 250 that is fenced adjoining my North Border and they have shot some 170"+ off of their with no management what so ever. They are all rifle hunters and show up opening of Rifle and leave the first weekend of January. Nice Guys though.

Comment

Nice pics...You are going to be looking at some big and fat bucks this year.

Comment

Working...
              X