No announcement yet.

Grasshoppers in Food Plot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best thing is Bifen IT mixed 1oz per gallon. Kills them and keeps them away for quite a while. You can get it at doityourselfpestcontrol.com.
    Attached Files

Comment

Keep hammering them! They will wipe it out if you ignore them. We spray our hay meadows about every year and the neighbors do not. We keep them knocked back and it does help on our production.

Comment

Big Sendero

Have you been back out after spraying to see how it went?

I spent Monday afternoon/evening spraying my plots by hand.
        Feed store suggested Martin's "CYONARA" Lawn & Garden Insect Control.
        I went with this product because I needed to do something immediately.
        (Swanjts) Thanks for the info you shared.

Walked around with a 2 gallon hand sprayer,
        inside my (1 acre) electric fenced plot of Iron Clay Peas and Sunflowers,
        coating them very well (I think).

That fenced plot is the West border of my Spring Mix plot.
        For the remainder of the Spring Mix plot (roughly 4 acres, center didn't sprout),
        10 yard wide stripe along the South edge,
        5 yards wide along the East edge,
        3 yards wide, starting on the East end, most of the way across the North edge.

I refilled the sprayer 6-7x's and let the wind do a good bit of the work for me.
        South wind blew any overspray across the remainder of the plot to the North of where I was walking.

The Spring Mix has Sunflowers, Corn, Millet, Milo, along with some other things,
        but the poor Soybeans have been destroyed by grasshoppers.

Nothing but stems remaining for beans,
        and Grasshoppers have done a job on a few of the sunflower plants too.

A good rain shower every other week would be great!

Comment

Dreamer1,

Let me know if that worked. If not when you get some Bifen IT, I can bring my Ranger with a 15 gallon spray rig and we can get it done.

Comment

Thanks,
            We will check next week.

Comment

Update. Sprayed the second application this past weekend and I like the results so far. For a small food plot it seems as though this might be a viable option to reduce the impact of an infestation.

Before I sprayed the first round, there were tons of grasshoppers. As I was spraying this past weekend, there were some grasshoppers but no where near as thick as they were.

BTW, the deer are hammering the soy beans right now.

Comment

Scott,

Are you sure it's the grasshoppers getting the soybeans? The reason I ask is I am getting game cam pics of does, bucks and fawns hitting the soybeans every night for the past three weeks. They have not started to eat the I/C peas yet.

I don't have a large herd of deer on my place. I have the same resident deer (3 bucks, 2 does and 2 fawns) each night.

Comment

Working...
                X