Sarong tie out of scrap walnut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sarong tie out of scrap walnut

So it has nothing to do with Texas, Bows, or Hunting... But hey it's a small project I completed in bits and pieces over a week after I got home from work.

My wife and I went on a cruise to Nassau last week and she found a sarong and a sarong tie that was the shape of a fish. We both really liked it, and almost bought it, but they wanted $51 after taxes and wouldn't negotiate. So I leaned over and whispered into my wife's ear, "I can make that."

She already has the sarong... So here's the tie made out of 11 pieces of scraps.

Sent from my BLA-L29 using Tapatalk

Edit: Just saw this needs to be a how-to, so here goes: I had previously cut some wood and had scraps that had right angles. I used them and glued them together using Tite Bond II. Once dried, I took the block, planed it down, then drew my "fish" on there. I sanded down the edges to get a rough shape. Once I had that, I took an orbital sander to round off the edges and get to a more uniform finish. I used a 1/2" drill bit to drill two holes and wallered them out for a bit of extra room. Had the wife try it on for size, looked great.

From there it was just sanding with 80, 120, 160, 240 and 320. May be overkill but it's silky smooth. Finished it with some Boiled Linseed Oil and wha-la.
    Last edited by ctom87; 02-01-2019, 10:48 AM. Reason: Following the rules of the thread.

Cool. What's a Sarong?

Asking for a friend.

Comment

Not complete without said sarong and model. It's in da rulebook !

Comment

Originally posted by JayB View Post
        Cool. What's a Sarong?

Asking for a friend.
        It's a wrap that women use after they get out of the pool. Fancy towel in my opinion. Wife can now tie it and do a bunch of different things and stuff with it. Sorry for the level of vagueness lol... I am not too familiar with them. Just know she looks good in one.

Comment

Cool. What's a Sarong?

Asking for a friend.
          (Nice work, OP!)
          Think of a sarong as a looser fitting garment or dress. The Sarong tie is used to pull the fabric in a little tighter around the midsection.

KJ

Comment

Nice work. I have the woodworking bug again. Always appreciate motivation.

Comment

So...this would be a sarong
              Attached Files

Comment

Bahahaha thank you for this.

Comment

yes... sarong, yet... sa sad!

Comment

By the way....that is NOT me!

Comment

Wife likes it.

Comment

Nice use of scraps. I have bit of walnut drops and my daughter wants to make a small cutting board wiht it.

Comment

Thanks. I have some pieces cut for a cutting board, only issue is they are all hexagons and no two match exactly. Not sure where I go from here lol.

Comment

That is just "sooo-wrong"! LOL

Comment

Great use of scraps, turned out great! And yes, I didn't know what a sarong was either lol

Comment

Working...
                              X