covering seed with infield drag?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

covering seed with infield drag?

I'm about to plant my spring plots. I have a UTV disc setup that works extremely well. I came across a deal on a baseball field drag... the type you pull on the infield to make the sand all level and pretty before a game.

would that work well for covering the seed after I broadcast??

Would it be heavy enough to push the dirt around or would it just glide across the top of the soil? All we do is drag a cattle panel behind a 4 wheeler with a railroad tie on it.

Comment

Every time I have used a drag of any sort I seem to find a lot of seeds setting on top of the ground after the first rain. I have started to just spread my seed then lightly disk over area then I drive over the tilled area with my 4 wheeler to pack the soil down a little. Unless we are talking very tiny seed, I usually plant corn/ pea mixes

Comment

Better than nothing, but it won't work very good.

Comment

It depends on the seeds you're planting. Some can just be broadcast. Some need to be buried. I plant soybeans for a summer plot, and just lightly disc. My fall plot, I just broadcast the seed.

Comment

Depends on the seed bed, how well it was tilled up... If it was real chunky then not so much...

I'd jump on it we need one at our place BAD....

Comment

I have had zero problems using a tire drag or thr chain harrow type from Tractor Supply. The key is to get your seedbed prepared correctly. Small seeds I place on a smmoth surface, large seeds are planted where I have very lightly disced. It works for me.

Comment

If you have it disked up well then spread your seed, then do the baseball field drag, then pack it down either with a roller or cultipacker you will be much better off. I had two 5 acre fall plots. One I culti packed and the other I just chain dragged. I wanted to see if the cultipacking made that much difference. I found out that the culitpacking makes a huge difference.

Comment

I have a homemade drag from chain link fence with angle iron on both ends. I disc then drag it smooth, then broadcast and drag again. Works well for oats wheat elbon rye and milo. Mostly sandy soil.
                  Not sure about other seeds. Just my experience of many years of fall plots.
                  Last edited by Big pig; 03-04-2016, 09:26 PM.

Comment

The soil is pretty sandy. I bought a turner spring pea mix. I'm going to disc, and then broadcast. I planned on dragging the infield drag to cover seed then drive all over it for as long as a six pack of beer will last me with my mule. Figured that would pick it down as I don't have a cultipacker.

Comment

Well I did it yesterday. Worked like a friggin dream. Way better than the old chain link I used. Leveled field pretty well also.

Comment

After you drag it you really need to roll it to pack the dirt in around the seed. I have done what you are doing and it worked ok, but i started rolling it after that and doubled my germination.

Comment

burn,

it was a bit "muddy" when I did this. I drove on all the fields with my mule for a good hour afterwards... nothing but tire marks when I was done. I don't own a cultipacker so that's what I was forced to do. it looks better than it has in the past. it was recommended by the GS in another thread that I drive over it after I drag it. let's hope it does well.

Comment

Working...
                          X