Trad First Shot Challenge Week 47

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trad First Shot Challenge Week 47

Trace a quarter anywhere on a sheet of paper. (Darken the quarter or dont darken quarter. Ill likely darken.)
    Quarter the quarter...left or right.
    12 yards.
    One shot per day.
    3 days to shoot.
    Any position and any elevation angle you prefer.
    MEASURE...EDGE OF SHAFT TO EDGE OF QUARTER...lowest single days measure wins...if no automatic winner.
    Automatic winner...first person to direct hit the quarter...anywhere on the quarter.
    A measure to a real or imaginary pin hole in the middle of the quarter will be the tie breaker...if we cross that bridge.

I need to practice uphill shots so Im doing so on this target.

Have fun and have a great week.
    God bless!
    Byron

Cool. Quartering the quarter turns it into about 6-1/4 Cents.... Almost literally. The angle can get it to about the size of a dime (front to back). That's why your basketball coach said to put a little arc on a jump shot -- bigger opening to the target.

Comment

Cool. I had never been told or thought of that as resasoning for arc. Good intel to pass to my BBall players.

TT...are your arrows fletched left or right offset/helical? They almost look left fletched with a right wing.

Comment

Originally posted by tradtiger View Post
        Cool. Quartering the quarter turns it into about 6-1/4 Cents.... Almost literally. The angle can get it to about the size of a dime (front to back). That's why your basketball coach said to put a little arc on a jump shot -- bigger opening to the target.
        Thinking more about this...I reckon being out of spine might help for a sideways arc. Weak or stiff...as long as its consistent.

Comment

Originally posted by Briar Friar View Post
          Cool. I had never been told or thought of that as resasoning for arc. Good intel to pass to my BBall players.

TT...are your arrows fletched left or right offset/helical? They almost look left fletched with a right wing.
          As far as the fletchings, it depends.... Definitely right wing feathers. And, if I used the EZ fletch gizmo, I believe they're a bit right helical ( I shoot right- hand single bevel broadheads).However, the gizmo was misplaced at one point, so I just stuck them on by hand for some arrows. Bought a new tool, and shortly afterward found the old one so, have two now.

Sent from my SM-J337V using Tapatalk

Comment

Hand fletching arrows...old school.

Thats good to have a back up. Ive got a couple EZs too, left and right fletchers. Theyre good and simple tools. Super cool to be able to vary degrees betweem fletchings. Ive been wanting to try my hand making a flu-flu with the EZ.

Since Ive been raising turkeys and collecting feathers, it seems the primary wings have two curves for different pressures...the top of a left wing feather is not the same curve relative to quill as the bottom of the same feather. It seems a person could do better using a right wing primary feather bottom for a left fletch and left wing primary feather bottom for a right fletch. The bottoms of the feathers seem to be the stoutest. Bottom being the side of the quill that is pointed down when on the bird.

Its actually made me wonder if what everybody calls right is actually left and vice versa. Those who actually kill, cut and fletch might know better. Ive been collecting but not cutting amd fletching homegrown feathers. Ive cut amd fletched store bought feathers.

Ive been meaning to make a thread but havent cut and fletched any for which to demonstrate examples.

Comment

I don't actually think it makes any difference as far as any helical twist. You know from experience that high FOC tip straightens flight out right away even with bare shaft. I'm shooting 300 grains up front on 600-grain arrows. I like as little fletch as possible, anyway, for noise sake. Have finally compromised at 3, 3" parabolics for the least noise with some rear guidance. I couldn't tell any difference in flight between even sloppily hand-fletched arrows compared with the EZ Fletch ones. (Other than less glue on the fingers for a couple of days.)

Comment

Day 1: yesterday, low right
                Pic won't upload

Comment

Day1: Miss

Comment

Day 2: miss

Comment

I'm pretty sure that isn't right.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Day 1: missed “alot”
                        Elevated was easier to set up tonight/today. Taken 0003 ish 202011017. I was hoping to get chores done sooner.
                        Last edited by Briar Friar; 01-26-2021, 09:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                          I'm pretty sure that isn't right.

This is my CCW indexing shafts with left helical fletch and “right winged” store bought feathers.

Proves nothing on my point...but...
                          Asserts my pressure exertion was opposite from shaft rotation due to feather curvature. Aerodynamics working opposite of natural centrepital force tendency of bare shaft.
                          Last edited by Briar Friar; 01-26-2021, 09:11 AM.

Comment

No Briar I understand what you're saying.
                            His reasoning is suspect to me. Especially shooting single bevel heads.

Comment

Day2: 3/8"

Comment

Working...
                              X