Lake Meredith

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
    It’s a cool spot. Duck hunting can be phenomenal there also if you’re into that kind of thing.
    Never done any duck hunting but im open to anything.
    I think im going to try and get the family interested in a trip up there around late march or april to do some hiking. I'd like to deer hunt up there for a few days for the fun of it in the next year or two

Comment

So rather than pack in tons of water, I bought a Sawyer filter system. I’ll still pack in about a gallon but you absolutely never know.
      It filters down to 0.1 microns so I assume it should take care of all the river sediment. Taste maybe not so much but water is water if the bad crap is filtered out. Has anyone used this filter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Haulinbass02 View Post
        So rather than pack in tons of water, I bought a Sawyer filter system. I’ll still pack in about a gallon but you absolutely never know.
        It filters down to 0.1 microns so I assume it should take care of all the river sediment. Taste maybe not so much but water is water if the bad crap is filtered out. Has anyone used this filter?

I use a sawyer mini water filter and it works great. I have not used it at Meredith so i can't comment on the taste but i have filtered some fairly dirty dark water.

Comment

Next year I am taking the family out there all of us Archery! Good luck this year save some for me!

Comment

Originally posted by Haulinbass02 View Post

The sediment can clog the filter quickly so be sure to have some clean water so it can be back flushed.

Comment

Originally posted by bigchiefj View Post
              The sediment can clog the filter quickly so be sure to have some clean water so it can be back flushed.

I looked at the Mini then ended up going with the larger Squeeze. It has a higher water filtering capacity so hopefully I can get more uses before needing to flush it. I did think about sediment clogging but not going to get around that issue very well up there......

Comment

If you filter the water with a bottle for dirty water and a cloth, then use the sawyer to filter into a clean bottle, it will last longer between flushes.

Comment

Wife and I are planning a last minute trip, leaving from central Texas Sunday morning. Will it be hard to find a drive up campsite? Looking at plum creek campground, but not married to it if there’s a less crowded option.

Comment

Originally posted by bigchiefj View Post
                    I don't know exactly what the Sawyer is, but can't you just put the clean water bag higher than the dirty bag and backwash through the filter?

We do that with our platypus setup to clear the filter, than just empty the filter between uses.

Comment

Originally posted by jnd1959 View Post
                      If you filter the water with a bottle for dirty water and a cloth, then use the sawyer to filter into a clean bottle, it will last longer between flushes.

Good tip, I will do this for sure.

Comment

For you veterans, would it even be possible to hunt in the upper plum creek area Sunday-Wednesday? Or is it so packed with people that it’s pointless/dangerous? I’ve been trying to get out there for years and life kept getting in the way, but making a last minute trip because Covid cancelled family thanksgiving plans. My wife is coming, and has been interested in going with me to hunt, but backcountry camping and 10-15 mikes a day is probably out of the question (5-6 is more her speed). Wondering if we should just go to a shotgun area and bird hunt, but really want to try and deer hunt if it’s possible to get away from the orange army with a somewhat shorter hike than all the way to Evan’s or Devil’s. Experience is more important than success for both of us, and I’m up for mulies or whitetail. Thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by B Littleton View Post
                          For you veterans, would it even be possible to hunt in the upper plum creek area Sunday-Wednesday? Or is it so packed with people that it’s pointless/dangerous? I’ve been trying to get out there for years and life kept getting in the way, but making a last minute trip because Covid cancelled family thanksgiving plans. My wife is coming, and has been interested in going with me to hunt, but backcountry camping and 10-15 mikes a day is probably out of the question (5-6 is more her speed). Wondering if we should just go to a shotgun area and bird hunt, but really want to try and deer hunt if it’s possible to get away from the orange army with a somewhat shorter hike than all the way to Evan’s or Devil’s. Experience is more important than success for both of us, and I’m up for mulies or whitetail. Thoughts?

Sent you a PM bud.

Comment

Any luck out there this year?

Comment

don't even want to talk about it

Comment

Miss a gimme? Don't beat yourself up too bad. I "guided" a good friend on his first ever deer hunt. Four opportunities under sixty yards, eleven shots fired and three misfires from a brand new rifle later he finally put one down. So it could always be worse! Haha

Comment

Working...
                                X