Updates? Pic of trees?

Comment

Just catching up on this. Any updates?

Comment

Originally posted by J&M Hamilton10 View Post
        Updates? Pic of trees?
        Originally posted by barnag View Post
        Just catching up on this. Any updates?

Sorry just saw this and haven't posted in a while.

Bigger trees were loaded with acorns this year.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
        Last edited by BrianL; 01-27-2021, 02:43 PM.

Comment

Deer loved these acorns. There are a lot of oaks around, but I watched them eat these first. I was a little surprised they preferred these to most everything else. First round of trees are 12-15' tall now. I need to do some pruning in a few weeks, as that really seems to help a lot.

The main reason I went with sawtooth oak is how fast they started producing acorns.

Comment

Have you been composting those fish guts to fertilize them trees?[emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
              Have you been composting those fish guts to fertilize them trees?[emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Those fish guts never make it thru the night

Comment

Thanks for the update Brian.
                Do you water the sawtooths every year or just the first?

I planted 20 or so a few years ago, but the cows got to all of them (even with Plantra tubes) so I had to start over and enclose each with t-posts and fence.

Comment

Originally posted by barnag View Post
                  Thanks for the update Brian.
                  Do you water the sawtooths every year or just the first?

I planted 20 or so a few years ago, but the cows got to all of them (even with Plantra tubes) so I had to start over and enclose each with t-posts and fence.
                  I planted probably 300 pine and 200 sawtooth with cattle and zero survived in pasture with cows.

I only watered the first year.

Comment

I just went through the whole thread. What a great read; lots of great info. It looks like you have put it a lot of hard work and it is paying off!!

Comment

This thread is awesome. I hope some day to buy some raw land and transform it like you have. Really cool to see what can be done with hard work and a little time!

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
                        Deer loved these acorns. There are a lot of oaks around, but I watched them eat these first. I was a little surprised they preferred these to most everything else. First round of trees are 12-15' tall now. I need to do some pruning in a few weeks, as that really seems to help a lot.

The main reason I went with sawtooth oak is how fast they started producing acorns.
                        The deer on my river grounds will walk over just about any other type of feed to crack and eat my over cup acorns.

I have always enjoyed following this thread.

Rwc

Comment

Working...
                        X