Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going Live!!! Night hunt for Fox

A duck killing fox.
    Ill be hitting the blind around or after nightfall.
    We had 12 ducks...and my heeler took a liking to killing duck...we were down to 8 ducks and the heeler got chained. I still had all my egg layers...harvesting about 3 eggs a day. My ducks free range along with my chickens and turkeys. The turkeys and chickens know better than to roost on the ground. Several nights ago I had 3 ducks disappear in one night...only remains I found was a pile of duck feathers and no carcass or bones or head, etc.

Last night I had the dogs penned...theyve been chasing deer and killing my season. Theyve been leaving the property and spent some time in jail. I talked to the neighbor lady and she said she has seen a big grey fox...and Im pretty sure its approach is from her land.

Last night Im in bed watching videos and plugged in and the wife rolls over and says something is after the ducks again. I grab the rifle and some long johns and scramble outside to the draw where I found the feather pile...its full moon ish and bright as day outside...I approach too hastily and see a 3’ long fox, in the moonlight, scoot off into the thicket...I scan and see some eyes...I shoot...nothing down but 2 fresh duck kills...in a mess of feathers.

I could post up the dogs but this is more fun. Im waiting for my deer spot mellow out from the dogs intrusion.

Ive baited the approach trail with an Aricana rooster (thats gonna be tough eating) I need to kill so...no loss. The Barronett popup went up, 12 yards away, and I ran a string to the bait cock back to the blind so I can tug on his leg and make him squawk.

Hopefully the sky stays clear and the moonlight is bright.

Back button

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Last remaining ducks all have hobbles.

View from blind...12 yards to stake.

Feather and carcass piles.
      Last edited by Briar Friar; 01-26-2021, 09:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
        Back button

Good.

Comment

Duck carcass pile. Two others nearby but pic wouldnt load properly. Im gonna clean those piles up to get rid of leftovers so fresh main course is only option.

Comment

I gap on my riser using tape marks and shooting in a dark blind thwarts my aiming. I had an idea a while back and this was a good time to enact...

I mounted (aka duct taped) a fiber optic loop for a compound sight pin to my riser at my 15 yard mark.

I feel Im ready. There is a good chance of a Fox no show due to a full belly of last nights duck and me stomping around its chowhall.

Comment

Fox come to a call readily. Might try that.

Comment

Buddy just asked me that too. Ill hand smooch if needed. Ive called in foxes that way before.

Im on the fence whether to tug the string and make the cock squawk or leave it lay as easy pickins.

Moon is up and sky is clear.
                Last edited by Briar Friar; 10-30-2020, 06:25 PM.

Comment

I think your villian is a coon. Fox or coyote will usually carry the duck off.

Comment

Good luck for the duck, in for some dead fox pics

Comment

Just about 10 a coyote head popped up about 20 yds away in the shadows. All I could see was dark head...and wasnt sure if coyote or fox. Then it approached coming uphill, head on, and just kept getting bigger. Suddenly it went broadside and dashed off into the thicket. It was a good sized coyote with a good fluffy coat. As it went through the thicket it made a loud wheezing/blowing/hissing sound...I reckon a coyote alarm or alert warning.

It went and set up shop next property over and did a mess of barking amd yipping and howling and whatever else. Then there became two coyotes. I remembered I had the Convergent Predator Pro on my phone. I had quite the debate to use it or not...because the iphone kills my night vision. I played the challenge howls and threatbarkhowl...we went back and forth for half an hour or so. I smooched some and it kept barking and howling regardless.

Darn cock wouldnt squawk. His crower aint broke but his squawker sure is. Tomorrow night is a new night and a new cock. Dog is posted and ducks are penned. Im gonna make sure to shake the new rooster tomorrow and make sure Ive got a bait cock with a functioning squawker.
                      Last edited by Briar Friar; 10-30-2020, 11:53 PM. Reason: WheezeHissAlarmSpake

Comment

Working...
                      X