Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do I need to wade fish Port O Conner?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I will be going to POC in the middle of June. From what I understand a boat will be taking us and our kayaks to some wade fishing spots. What all do you recommend I get, including rod & reel? I don't have any salt water/wading gear (would prefer spinning rod/reel).

Thank you
    Last edited by ktex; 05-06-2020, 02:49 PM. Reason: .

If you don't have it already, I would get:
    - life jacket
    - wading belt/tackle storage
    - fishing pliers to release fish
    - flashlight/emergency beacon
    - milk crates for storage of misc. stuff
    - good hat for sun protection
    - spare rod/reel
    - if you are wade fishing, leggings or something protecting your legs from stingrays
    - stringer or floating net for fish storage

The more info you can give us, the better we can help.

Comment

A pocket full of jigheads, DSL soft plastics in Purple or red & gold spoons. Take A stringer & you are ready to go!. Spinning tackle is great if you like it.

Comment

Stringer and a handful of lures, wading boots are a plus.

Comment

Beer.

And maybe some fishing stuff. Mostly cold beer.

Comment

Originally posted by hog_down View Post
            If you don't have it already, I would get:
            - life jacket
            - wading belt/tackle storage
            - fishing pliers to release fish
            - flashlight/emergency beacon
            - milk crates for storage of misc. stuff
            - good hat for sun protection
            - spare rod/reel
            - if you are wade fishing, leggings or something protecting your legs from stingrays
            - stringer or floating net for fish storage

The more info you can give us, the better we can help.
            Thank you, that helps! Not sure what additional info to provide.

Comment

I would buy;

Stringer
              wade belt
              soft plastics or Gulp on a popping cork
              floatable net

Comment

At the bare minimum... floating net (the kind that clips to your belt), wade belt, wade boots, stringer, pliers. Depending on whether your fishing live bait or plastics... live bait you’ll need a bait bucket. If just artificial then I’d throw gulp under a midcoast cork. Don’t fool with anything else if this is your first outing. Maybe buy a couple packages of DSLs but you don’t have to get much... believe me, it’ll get way too expensive, way too quick.

As far as a rod and reel... I’d go with something like a Shimano Sedona 3000 and a decent 6.5-7’ medium light rod, like an all star or something similar. String it with 20# braid and you’ll be good to fight any kind of fish in the bay. Guess it all depends on how much you want to spend. You can drop more and get a nicer set up but either way, just make sure to wash your gear after every outing. Saltwater will chew through it all if not cleaned properly.
                Last edited by BobbyJoe; 05-06-2020, 04:15 PM.

Comment

If this is a one time deal save your money and use what rod and reel you got. By the time you get done spending money gearing up for wade fishing, you’ll be $500+ in. Get some 1/8 oz jig heads, Hogie paddle tails, Down South Lures, topwaters if you want and go.
                  Last edited by panhandlehunter; 05-06-2020, 04:37 PM.

Comment

Assuming you already have kayak related stuff you really don't need all that much to wade fish.

Required
                    $0 - Old pair of sneakers, do the stingray shuffle
                    $12 - 3 packs of soft plastics with paddle tails, dark to light. I like Gambler or H20 Thumpin Mullet
                    $8 - 2 packs of Bass Assassin wide gap screw-lock jigheads, 1/16 oz and 1/8 oz.
                    $9 - Academy cheap aluminum pliers
                    $0 - Nail polish from a female you know to mark your fish lengths on your rod
                    $3 - Stringer from Walmart and a piece of styrofoam you find floating on the shoreline

Optional niceties:
                    $30 - Floating landing net
                    $40 - Foreverlast Fish bag like Josh W has in all his **** videos making me jealous daily
                    $30 - H20 brand wading belt, comes with boxes
                    $20 - Lip grippers <- you'll appreciate these to hold the fish while you're fumbling for stuff, slimy little devils.

So I just read the part about wanting a rod/reel.
                    $40 - Penn Pursuit III in 2500 size https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GJYD2VW/
                    $80 - Shimano GLF rods at Academy, 7 foot
                    $15 - 150 yard spool of 20lb Power Pro, Slick 8 is nice but whatever's cheap works.
                    $10 - Seaguar Red Label 20lb fluorocarbon (for 6' casting leaders)
                    Last edited by justletmein; 05-06-2020, 05:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                      Assuming you already have kayak related stuff you really don't need all that much to wade fish.

Required
                      $0 - Old pair of sneakers, do the stingray shuffle
                      $12 - 3 packs of soft plastics with paddle tails, dark to light. I like Gambler or H20 Thumpin Mullet
                      $8 - 2 packs of Bass Assassin wide gap screw-lock jigheads, 1/16 oz and 1/8 oz.
                      $9 - Academy cheap aluminum pliers
                      $0 - Nail polish from a female you know to mark your fish lengths on your rod
                      $3 - Stringer from Walmart and a piece of styrofoam you find floating on the shoreline

Optional niceties:
                      $30 - Floating landing net
                      $40 - Foreverlast Fish bag like Josh W has in all his **** videos making me jealous daily
                      $30 - H20 brand wading belt, comes with boxes
                      $20 - Lip grippers <- you'll appreciate these to hold the fish while you're fumbling for stuff, slimy little devils.

Great stuff here. I never thought about the nail polish idea before. Learn something new everyday!

Comment

Originally posted by Big Lee View Post
                        Great stuff here. I never thought about the nail polish idea before. Learn something new everyday!

You can get you a rod rul-r for about $1.50 and get accurate measurements. But I agree with what he is saying, don’t spend a bunch of money.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Lee View Post
                          Beer.

And maybe some fishing stuff. Mostly cold beer.
                          This is 100% correct

Comment

Thanks for the ideas guys!

Comment

Wide brimmed hat, sun gloves, long sleeve shirt and a buff

Comment

Working...
                              X