Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 05-02-2020, 12:51 PM   #1
4wheels
Ten Point

Default Murder hornet

https://dnyuz.com/2020/05/02/trackin...north-america/

Yikes.
4wheels is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-02-2020, 01:19 PM   #2
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kick CoViD's tail!

I've seen the black and yeller hornets of N. America. Have seen the hornets passing through here in Texas as well. Even seen the hives hanging in trees 50 foot off the ground up north. And have seen hornets about the same size as in that pic. But to have an additional species is not good. Honey bees in N. America are having a hard enough time as it is without something hunting them down and killing a nest out.

Some of the beer joints and bars up north have hives collected during the winter hanging above the bars as conversation pieces. It's easy to collect them during the winter as they are all inside and inactive. All you gotta do is plug the bottom hole.
Texas Grown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-02-2020, 01:24 PM   #3
jerp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Shackleford Co.

I’ve seen videos of those things in Japan - terrifying. I wonder how in the heck they got to Canada and Washington state?
jerp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-02-2020, 02:41 PM   #4
sailor
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerp View Post
Iíve seen videos of those things in Japan - terrifying. I wonder how in the heck they got to Canada and Washington state?
Trade winds...ÖÖ
I may have to double up, on my Epi-Pen dosage...Ö..
sailor is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-02-2020, 03:11 PM   #5
Hooverfb
Ten Point

We actually dont want honey bees.. they're like the hogs of the pollinator world. They hurt natural pollinators.
Hooverfb is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-02-2020, 03:26 PM   #6
Hank Hill
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerp View Post
Iíve seen videos of those things in Japan - terrifying. I wonder how in the heck they got to Canada and Washington state?
You ever been up that way? Lots of asians made themselves at home there, probably found there way over as an exotic pet would be my guess.
Hank Hill is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-02-2020, 03:32 PM   #7
BTLowry
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Behind the house and public in Texas; Kansas Unit 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooverfb View Post
We actually dont want honey bees.. they're like the hogs of the pollinator world. They hurt natural pollinators.
Explain

I thought honey bees were a natural, beneficial species and here you say they are invasive?
BTLowry is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-02-2020, 04:42 PM   #8
Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Nacogdoches,Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTLowry View Post
Explain

I thought honey bees were a natural, beneficial species and here you say they are invasive?
Thats what i was always told as well. However They are not native to the u.s. and compete with native bees. Google makes it a point to note that white people brought them over.
Man is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-02-2020, 04:57 PM   #9
locolobo
Eight Point

Hunt In: Somewhere in TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man View Post
Thats what i was always told as well. However They are not native to the u.s. and compete with native bees. Google makes it a point to note that white people brought them over.
True story. Honey bees are not native to North America. But since they helped displace native bees they have become the main pollinator here.Now they are in danger of being displaced themselves.
locolobo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2020, 07:04 PM   #10
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Love how the media said in other Countries they kill 50 people each year!!!

I had to shake my head...Let me google how many people die here each year from bee stings.. I bet it's more than 50

between 58 and 62 in the USA.. Less than I thought.
RiverRat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2020, 07:11 PM   #11
Laurieknutson
Spike

Hunt In: Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
Trade winds...ÖÖ
I may have to double up, on my Epi-Pen dosage...Ö..
Yikes, I hope you won't need it.
Laurieknutson is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2020, 07:34 PM   #12
RifleBowPistol
Ten Point

Hunt In: Any where I can

Two of the worst wasps on the planet from what I have gotten out of watching documentaries, are some wasp from Australia, naturally, everything over there is bad. Then those murder hornets from Japan. I don't remember which is considered worse, both very bad, very aggressive.

I have also been told by my father in law, who is not always exactly correct. That there is some large wasp that burrows holes in trees up in the north west, that is bad news. It's supposed to be very large, makes holes up in the tops of pine trees or other tall timber and not something you ever want to make mad. He used to be a logger up in Oregon many years ago. He said those wasps were not something you ever wanted to run into when you were way up a tree, cutting the top or even cutting a tree down, then cutting or moving it around.
RifleBowPistol is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2020, 07:55 PM   #13
rocky
Pope & Young

Tracker Jackers. Government engineered killers.
rocky is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2020, 08:09 PM   #14
Sika
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hill Country and East TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTLowry View Post
Explain

https://www.wired.com/2015/04/youre-...ng-wrong-bees/
Sika is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2020, 08:34 PM   #15
BTLowry
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Behind the house and public in Texas; Kansas Unit 5

Thanks for the link, interesting
BTLowry is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2020, 12:10 PM   #16
Sharecropper
Ten Point

Hunt In: Backyard

This . .
Sharecropper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2020, 12:44 PM   #17
Bayouboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Texas

Bees have found a way to kill them. They create a ball of heat by covering the hornet, vibrating, and basically burn the hornet to death since a bee can take more heat.
Bayouboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2020, 01:40 PM   #18
JonBoy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Doss, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooverfb View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolobo View Post
True story. Honey bees are not native to North America. But since they helped displace native bees they have become the main pollinator here.Now they are in danger of being displaced themselves.
Is there any time frame where a non-indigenous species becomes considered as native? Yes Honeybees were brought to North America but they've been here now for 400 years. All plants and animals were "invasive" at some point, that's the goal of any species...to grow and spread.

I'd be curious to know how many of our "native" bee species hitched a ride over here before we started writing things down in books.
JonBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2020, 01:49 PM   #19
Kingfisher789
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tivydale. Nix. Brownwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRat1 View Post
Love how the media said in other Countries they kill 50 people each year!!!

I had to shake my head...Let me google how many people die here each year from bee stings.. I bet it's more than 50

between 58 and 62 in the USA.. Less than I thought.
Donít forget most of those bee sting deaths gonna be counted as Corona...
Kingfisher789 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2020, 01:55 PM   #20
Texans42
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonBoy View Post
Is there any time frame where a non-indigenous species becomes considered as native? Yes Honeybees were brought to North America but they've been here now for 400 years. All plants and animals were "invasive" at some point, that's the goal of any species...to grow and spread.

I'd be curious to know how many of our "native" bee species hitched a ride over here before we started writing things down in books.
So when Domestic and exotic sheep eliminate Bighorn sheep, we should relabel sheep, goats etc native? Or when pheasants(what we are have done) eventually wipeout Lessor Prairie chicken etc.

Basically what you are advocating.

Last edited by Texans42; 05-04-2020 at 01:59 PM.
Texans42 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2020, 01:55 PM   #21
deerslayer94
Ten Point

Hunt In: madison,grimes,montgomery

We’ve reached level 5 of jumanji in 2020.
deerslayer94 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2020, 02:14 PM   #22
Sharecropper
Ten Point

The world is flat . .
Old 05-04-2020, 03:05 PM   #23
JonBoy
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans42 View Post
So when Domestic and exotic sheep eliminate Bighorn sheep, we should relabel sheep, goats etc native? Or when pheasants(what we are have done) eventually wipeout Lessor Prairie chicken etc.

Basically what you are advocating.
After they've been here for 400-500 years?...yeah, maybe. I wasn't necessarily advocating for it, rather I was posing a food for thought question. There were a few comments dismissing the honeybee as an invasive species and I was simply highlighting that most, if not all, species establish their "native" habitat by invading it at some point. We've just drawn arbitrary lines in the sand as to what we classify as native.

Last edited by JonBoy; 05-04-2020 at 03:08 PM.
Old 05-04-2020, 03:23 PM   #24
hog_down
Ten Point

That murder hornet sounds and looks like a bad witch! Terrible news for the beekeepers too, and it can stay up in the PNW with Sasquatch!
hog_down is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2020, 03:58 PM   #25
150class
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Uvalde, Boerne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayouboy View Post
Bees have found a way to kill them. They create a ball of heat by covering the hornet, vibrating, and basically burn the hornet to death since a bee can take more heat.
Bee's in asia have but those over here might be SOL until they can figure that out lol
150class is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2020, 03:58 PM   #26
mikemorvan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: vetements noirs

mikemorvan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2020, 03:59 PM   #27
Bayouboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by 150class View Post
Bee's in asia have but those over here might be SOL until they can figure that out lol
They better be quick learners!
Bayouboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2020, 04:17 PM   #28
TexasBob
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfisher789 View Post
Donít forget most of those bee sting deaths gonna be counted as Corona...

Nah, they need to hype this since the Rona didnít keep us inside enough. Might need the run on toilet paper- a swarm of those might just scare the **** out of you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TexasBob is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2020, 04:18 PM   #29
Texans42
Ten Point

Quote:
After they've been here for 400-500 years?...yeah, maybe. I wasn't necessarily advocating for it, rather I was posing a food for thought question. There were a few comments dismissing the honeybee as an invasive species and I was simply highlighting that most, if not all, species establish their "native" habitat by invading it at some point. We've just drawn arbitrary lines in the sand as to what we classify as native.
400 years isn’t much of evolutional time frame, infact it’s a needle point measurement on a mile. The example you are looking for 100000’s of years, where natural flora evolves with the animal/insect etc.

What did the Europeans bring with them to eat? How many islands and lands did the Europeans dump domestic live stock for further lay over food ? Yes sheep, goats, hogs etc they have been here for a long time.

Europeans bees(honey or wool-carder) in general are an invasion species, but people dismiss it as such due to honey production and ignorance to its relationship to the native flora here in the US. Lazy arse pollinators compared to native.
Old 05-04-2020, 04:47 PM   #30
JonBoy
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans42 View Post
400 years isn’t much of evolutional time frame, infact it’s a needle point measurement on a mile. The example you are looking for 100000’s of years, where natural flora evolves with the animal/insect etc.

What did the Europeans bring with them to eat? How many islands and lands did the Europeans dump domestic live stock for further lay over food ? Yes sheep, goats, hogs etc they have been here for a long time.

Europeans bees(honey or wool-carder) in general are an invasion species, but people dismiss it as such due to honey production and ignorance to its relationship to the native flora here in the US. Lazy arse pollinators compared to native.
As inefficient as they may be honey bees make up for their efficiency with range and sheer numbers. As an example, a single Mason bee pollinates 20X better than a single honey bee, but honey bees cover 2700X the area with 50,000 members per hive.

Either way, for the sake of the honey bee, that the murder hornet doesn't land yet another punch to the honey bee's population. Dealing with varroa, neonics has already proven to be more than they can handle.

Last edited by JonBoy; 05-04-2020 at 05:06 PM.
Old 05-04-2020, 05:12 PM   #31
Texans42
Ten Point

Quote:
As inefficient as they may be honey bees make up for their efficiency with range and sheer numbers. As an example, a single Mason bee pollinates 20X better than a single honey bee, but honey bees cover 2700X the area with 50,000 members per hive.

Either way, for the sake of the honey bee, that the murder hornet doesn't land yet another punch to the honey bee's population. Dealing with varroa, neonics has already proven to be more than they can handle.
I’ll take mason and bumble over Honey all day. Just like id take lessor prairie chicken over a pheasant or Bighorn sheep over a Suffolk everyday. Our system evolved with those species
Old 05-04-2020, 05:13 PM   #32
Tony Pic
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The Picarosas North and South, Kerrville, Mountain Home and Harper

Pretty cool how they are fighting it.

ďAs soon as they see the hornet coming to the water source to drink, the guy jumps out with a net, and he grabs it. Then, ever so carefully, he ties a string on it and lets it go.
ďThereís a spotter watching it now with binoculars, and he watches this thing as it flies, because obviously itís going to fly back to the nest. When they find it, they mark where the nest is.
ďAnd at night they come back and with a flame-thrower, pretty much go at it, just follow them back to their base camp, and when they least expect it, boom, go after them.Ē
https://nypost.com/2020/05/03/asias-...coast-experts/
Tony Pic is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2020, 05:13 PM   #33
150class
Pope & Young

Im also curious why the are called "Murder Hornets"? Is that a media thing?

Aren't these the Giant Japanese Hornets?
Old 05-04-2020, 05:23 PM   #34
MadHatter
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
Two of the worst wasps on the planet from what I have gotten out of watching documentaries, are some wasp from Australia, naturally, everything over there is bad. Then those murder hornets from Japan. I don't remember which is considered worse, both very bad, very aggressive.

I have also been told by my father in law, who is not always exactly correct. That there is some large wasp that burrows holes in trees up in the north west, that is bad news. It's supposed to be very large, makes holes up in the tops of pine trees or other tall timber and not something you ever want to make mad. He used to be a logger up in Oregon many years ago. He said those wasps were not something you ever wanted to run into when you were way up a tree, cutting the top or even cutting a tree down, then cutting or moving it around.
I don't know how the Tarantula Hawk stacks up on aggression, but it's sting is comparable with anything on earth.
Never been stung, but have seen 2 people(different occasions) stung by one.
It's not your typical reaction.
You lose your breath, and pretty much the ability to react.
Make a grown man cry fo sho.
MadHatter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2020, 05:27 PM   #35
150class
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadHatter View Post
I don't know how the Tarantula Hawk stacks up on aggression, but it's sting is comparable with anything on earth.
Never been stung, but have seen 2 people(different occasions) stung by one.
It's not your typical reaction.
You lose your breath, and pretty much the ability to react.
Make a grown man cry fo sho.
The Tarantula hawk ranks tied for #1 with the Bullet Ant and Warrior Wasp for the worst pain produced from a bug sting
Old 05-04-2020, 05:29 PM   #36
Fishndude
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mason, Ellis and Dimmit counties

Quote:

They murder bees. Or best word the media could come up with.
Fishndude is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2020, 05:31 PM   #37
150class
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishndude View Post
I guess that makes sense.

I've seen all the videos about them back in the day on how the wreck shop on smaller bee's but never saw them referred to as Murder Hornets.
Old 05-04-2020, 05:33 PM   #38
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kick CoViD's tail!

Well, maybe some good will come of this if the Murdering Hornets agree to kill off just the Killer Bees?
Texas Grown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2020, 05:47 PM   #39
Jason Fry
Ten Point

Hunt In: a tall tree

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jason Fry is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2020, 06:01 PM   #40
Tony Pic
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The Picarosas North and South, Kerrville, Mountain Home and Harper

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishndude View Post
I ONLY thought humans could be murdered. Not insects?
The media is personifying an insect....Like Cecil the Lion.
Tony Pic is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2020, 06:18 PM   #41
Carpe_diem
Ten Point

Hunt In: Taylor, Fisher, Jones Counties and TPW draw hunts

I wonder if any beekeepers have tried putting a screen around their hives, with holes small enough for the bees to negotiate but too small for the big bad hornets from hell to get through? Kind of like houses for wrens with small openings to keep out the sparrows.
Carpe_diem is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2020, 07:31 PM   #42
kurt68
Ten Point

Hunt In: Waller Co. and Rocksprings and "H"

Um, https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ne-minute.html
kurt68 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2020, 09:00 PM   #43
Sharecropper
Ten Point

Just saw on the news . . A normal bee has a stinger 1/16" . . Murder Hornet has one 1/14" . . Dammit . .
Old 05-04-2020, 09:46 PM   #44
LostInTexas
Spike

Hunt In: Anywhere I can gain access to!

Nasty little critters.
LostInTexas is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2020, 10:19 PM   #45
Etxbuckman
Pope & Young

It’s bad enough finding a **** red paper wasp nest in a deer blind. Can you imagine climbing 10’ up and finding one of these??
Etxbuckman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-05-2020, 08:13 AM   #46
TxKronik
Ten Point

Hunt In: Webb and Comal County

So these came here the same time as the corona virus in December? From asia?
TxKronik is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-05-2020, 08:16 AM   #47
rjtkdplus
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Everywhere I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpe_diem View Post
I wonder if any beekeepers have tried putting a screen around their hives, with holes small enough for the bees to negotiate but too small for the big bad hornets from hell to get through? Kind of like houses for wrens with small openings to keep out the sparrows.
This or just screening the hive entrance with something like a queen excluder, maybe a little larger gaps would probably Keep them out. The sky is not falling today.
rjtkdplus is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-05-2020, 08:19 AM   #48
kevin nicholls
Ten Point

Hunt In: Who knows

Oh great, Murder Hornets, how much toilet paper do we need to buy to save us from these?
kevin nicholls is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-05-2020, 08:38 AM   #49
JonBoy
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpe_diem View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjtkdplus View Post
This or just screening the hive entrance with something like a queen excluder, maybe a little larger gaps would probably Keep them out. The sky is not falling today.
An entrance reducer reduced down to a littler over 1 bee width would keep the hornets out but as I read the article the hornets will stage up outside the hive and catch them coming in and out. Apparently these hornets chemically mark the hive so that other hornets know where the buffet is. Pretty crazy
Old 05-05-2020, 10:31 AM   #50
MacDaddy67
Ten Point

Sooooooo....

Does anyone know how much toilet paper I will need for the murder hornets ?
MacDaddy67 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top