What the word on Christensen Arms?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’m looking into getting a lightweight .308. I went to the gun store today and handled a Christensen Arms Ridgeline. I loved the feel and balance of the rifle but wonder what the green screen says about quality and accuracy.

Does anyone have some real world info on these rifles?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shot several of them. They are good accurate rifles. Not cheap, not what I would call expensive either, but they are good quality.

Comment

I have a ridgeline in 28 Nosler. It had several issues with the 1st one I got. Sent it back twice and on the 2nd time they put 4 or 5 barrels on it before I blew a gasket because they had it for months and it was obvious something else was wrong besides the barrel. They finally just sent me a new rifle. This one is much better. With that being said, if you have the money to spend on a Ridgeline, add a little to it even if it means selling another gun that just sits in the safe and get Robert at APR to build you one. They are light years ahead of Christensen.

Comment

Originally posted by ColinR View Post
        I have a ridgeline in 28 Nosler. It had several issues with the 1st one I got. Sent it back twice and on the 2nd time they put 4 or 5 barrels on it before I blew a gasket because they had it for months and it was obvious something else was wrong besides the barrel. They finally just sent me a new rifle. This one is much better. With that being said, if you have the money to spend on a Ridgeline, add a little to it even if it means selling another gun that just sits in the safe and get Robert at APR to build you one. They are light years ahead of Christensen.

Really? Are you saying that even the entry level apr is better than the Christensen??

Comment

Originally posted by FLASH_OUTDOORS View Post
          Really? Are you saying that even the entry level apr is better than the Christensen??

In my opinion, absolutely without a doubt. After having both, I would take an entry level APR over Christensen’s most high end any day. If fact, even the new rifle Christensen sent me still didn’t shoot as well as I would like it to. It barely meet there 1” 3 shot group at 100 yards, and was about 2.5 at 200. I took it to APR and had them fully glass bed it and it is a shooter now thanks to APR.

Comment

IMO, 99 times out of 100, a truly custom built rifle will be better (fit, finish, accuracy) than a mass production “semi-custom” factory rifle.

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
              IMO, 99 times out of 100, a truly custom built rifle will be better (fit, finish, accuracy) than a mass production “semi-custom” factory rifle.

In my opinion, absolutely without a doubt. After having both, I would take an entry level APR over Christensen’s most high end any day. If fact, even the new rifle Christensen sent me still didn’t shoot as well as I would like it to. It barely meet there 1” 3 shot group at 100 yards, and was about 2.5 at 200. I took it to APR and had them fully glass bed it and it is a shooter now thanks to APR.

What was the wait time for your rifles?

Comment

7 months for mine but I was part of the group buy so I think it took longer than there normal turn around. You would have to call up there and ask what there normal time is.

Comment

Was this handloaded ammo or factory?

Shooting like that, I can’t see any reason to buy a semi custom over any of the factory rifles with a MOA guarantee.

Comment

Originally posted by TacticalCowboy View Post
                    Was this handloaded ammo or factory?

Shooting like that, I can’t see any reason to buy a semi custom over any of the factory rifles with a MOA guarantee.
                    Factory. And a couple rounds I had hand loaded for the first one. After one trip to the range it went to APR for the bedding job. Seems a bit ridiculous that you have to take a $2k semi custom rifle to a gun smith to make it shoot good. And I agree just go get a Savage 110 / 116 or Tika if your not going to get a full custom.

Comment

The Bergara HMR would be my choice in the $1k~ Range. I could be way off, but they seem like they have a lot of features for the money

Comment

What was the wait time for your rifles?
                        Wait time or turnaround is based on several factors:

- the gunsmiths current workload
                        - do you already have the components (action, barrel, bottom metal, stock)
                        - are you ordering a custom stock, action, or barrel

FYI - I’ve purchased parts separately and delivered them to my GS who built my custom rifle in 2-3 weeks. I’ve also ordered a Manners stock that took 9 months to deliver. I’ve waited 6 months for a bedding job. If you buy the parts separately, that’s less time and money the GS has to invest in the project.

There are dozens of places today where you can buy components off the shelf and they’re mailed directly to you, your FFL, or your GS. You need to do your homework and ask your chosen GS how they prefer to do business.

I’ve been consulting on custom rifle builds for close to 30 years and can give you a list of dozens of GS’s. My advice, do lots of research, be a sponge, and remember “there are no stupid questions”. Call Robert @ APR along with several other GS’s and discuss your intended build. Chose who you feel most comfortable with and provides you with great customer service

Feel free to Pm me with any ?’s

Comment

In my experience they are great rifles. I do not own one personally but I’ve shot and handled the ridgeline and classic. The ridgeline is a 7mag my father owns that is his mountain rifle and it shoots 150-168gr bullets great, plenty well enough to make ethical shots to 6-700yds. The classic is a .375 H&h that belongs to my brother. It shoots better than any other .375 I have seen or handled.

One thing to keep in mind is they are a smaller production line arms maker, not a custom gunsmith. I wouldn’t let the negative comments scare you away. I’m a big savage fan and this is what I would go with if I couldn’t go with savage, before I forked over the money for a custom rifle.

Comment

I have the Christensen Mesa Bronze in 6.5 PRC and I am extremely pleased with the rifle. The fit and finish is excellent, the trigger is excellent and the accuracy is excellent as well. I mounted the Sig 3-10X42 BDX scope on it and with handloaded 130 Accubonds or 130 Scirocco's, I'm getting .5 MOA groups and 3100 fps. The factory 143 ELD-X's are shooting about.75 MOA. Using the Kilo rangefinder I've been dead on at 660 yards. That's as far as I've taken it so far.

The bolt knob is a little small, but that's an easy fix.

Comment

Take a look at the Seekins Havak for a 7lb factory rifle that shoots **** well. Roughly $1800ish. I’ve only shot full customs for the past 6ish years until I snagged a Havak last year.

Comment

Working...
                              X