1993 Chevy Blazer project.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1993 Chevy Blazer project.

I have had this Blazer since 2007 and my 13 year old son has really taken a liking to it. It has been parked for about three years since the transmission started getting week and I didn't have time to mess with it. I used it up until then around our place while I was building fences. The last time I drove it the fuel pump went out and it landed beside my shop. I put a fresh battery on it last week to see what would happen, and when I turned the key on, the fuel pump was running so I thought it was a good sign. Well I soon found out I had power but it would not turn over. The dang mice ate the starter wires. At that point I pulled it to the front of my shop and started working. I ended up splicing the starter wires to get it turning over, but still no fuel. I figured it was time to drop the tank. The tank had about 15 gallons of some seriously funky fuel in it, and also the fuel pump and inside of the tank had seen their better day. A quick call to Summit and two day later I have a new tank and entire sending unit with an upgraded fuel pump. Once I got fuel to the engine I found I had a clogged injector on the TBI not letting the fuel go by. At that point I decided to talk to a mechanic friend of mine who has been slow lately due to their shop seeing the effects of the Corona. A short discussion with him led to pulling the engine, transmission, and transfer case. As of right now the tranny has been rebuilt by a very reliable shop by me and the engine is out for an overhaul at Machine Works in Greenville Tx. I talked to the owner of the machine shop who told me he's a couple weeks out, but that is fine for me since I know he builds some of the highest quality engines to be found and I need time to get some other wiring repaired.

Now it's time to start shopping for parts like headers, A/C parts, and standard engine accessories. Once the thing is back up and running I will move to the interior. I hope to make this thing my daily driver and park my f350 until my boy is ready to get his license.

Got any pics of this bad boy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Here she is, not pretty, but on her way to living again.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

I would drive the hell out of that thing!

Comment

Originally posted by hog_down View Post
          I would drive the hell out of that thing!
          Lol, that is my plan. Before I parked it I spend about $600 in completely rebuilding the front end in MOOG parts, so that's one thing I won't have to worry about.

Comment

That's a dream vehicle of mine. I had a '96 1500 z71 Silverado, it's an absolutely bulletproof generation of GM trucks. I pounded on that thing, and it just kept going. Except for the fuel pump (As you mentioned).

Very nice, keep us posted on the upgrades! What an absolute beast.

Comment

Here's a picture of the new tank outfitted with the pump assembly and new vents almost ready to stab back in. I smelled like old gas for two days after dropping the tank and properly disposing of the old fuel[emoji2958]

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Are you throwing any aftermarket parts in the engine? Those motors respond pretty good to a mild cam and aftermarket heads.

Comment

It will be getting a mild cam and some upgraded clevite pistons. If the heads are still good they will stay mostly stock. The engine builder is amazing, his work cost more that most, but it's that way for a reason. His build room looks like a surgery room.

Comment

Originally posted by Fordnandez View Post
                    Are you throwing any aftermarket parts in the engine? Those motors respond pretty good to a mild cam and aftermarket heads.
                    I just talked to the engine builder and he will be using a set of very nice Mahle power pak pistons. We also discussed a cam upgrade. He was concerned about going too far out of stock with the cam due to MAP sensor issues that can cause the TBI engine to run bad at idle. He also said if everything checks out he can do some port work on the heads.

Comment

Nice, that thing will go anywhere.

Comment

Vortec heads liven those motors up some. Holley also has an upgraded TBI unit. The weight distrubution on those little 2 doors make them really get it in the mud!

If you can keep the transmision, and AC system in that generation working, everything else is fairly cheap and easy to work on.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                          Vortec heads liven those motors up some. Holley also has an upgraded TBI unit. The weight distrubution on those little 2 doors make them really get it in the mud!

If you can keep the transmision, and AC system in that generation working, everything else is fairly cheap and easy to work on.
                          I actually had a lead on some fresh vortec heads that I'm trying to run down. I have time, the engine builder is back logged with race engines right now. The A/C is also a must and is factored into my budget, that was one of the reasons I stopped driving it, because it was miserable when it started warming up. I've had the truck on a really nasty black mud road a couple times and it did not disappoint. It really did well staying out of the ditches and I could turn around on the road without ditching it. After I drop all this money in it, there is no way I will be slinging any mud with it. I just have to remind my teenager that as well.

Comment

nice

Comment

Originally posted by dpg481 View Post
                              I actually had a lead on some fresh vortec heads that I'm trying to run down. I have time, the engine builder is back logged with race engines right now. The A/C is also a must and is factored into my budget, that was one of the reasons I stopped driving it, because it was miserable when it started warming up. I've had the truck on a really nasty black mud road a couple times and it did not disappoint. It really did well staying out of the ditches and I could turn around on the road without ditching it. After I drop all this money in it, there is no way I will be slinging any mud with it. I just have to remind my teenager that as well.
                              Heads are most definitely the choke point on those older engines. When GM came out with those cathedral port heads it really woke those small block engines up. Heads are the very reason why they can squeeze 500 hp out of a little 5.3 without breaking the bank. On the older 5.7 block the Vortec heads with matching intake was a game changer and still a good platform and can easily make 400 hp and have good manners. If you decide to go Vortec heads be sure to get a matching intake manifold.

Comment

Working...
                              X