Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 04-22-2020, 07:46 AM   #1
rtjh
Six Point

Default What's a good mountain bike to buy?

Dont know whether to get an Academy special or buy elsewhere. Amazon has some too. I'm not looking to spend a bunch of money, under $500 preferably. Also - are there any pro or cons of 29" tires vs the smaller sizes?
rtjh is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2020, 07:49 AM   #2
jkk831
Ten Point

Hunt In: Garza County

I’ve been looking too. I was told the trek marlin was a good one for that price range.
jkk831 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2020, 08:01 AM   #3
KRB
Ten Point

Hunt In: Stephens

Go to a bike shop and get fitted , should be able to get a good entry level bike for 500.00.

Where are you located?
KRB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2020, 08:10 AM   #4
Tomkat70
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mason ,Brady,Menard

Go to a bike shop and get fitted and you will know what size frame that you need and go online and look at used, you can get a $1000- $1500 for $250- $500. Trek and Specialized are great bikes but remember that there are several different quality levels of accessories so look them all up and get familiar with what is out there.
Tomkat70 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2020, 08:11 AM   #5
adam_p
Ten Point

Hunt In: Cooke, Denton, Oklahoma

If you are wanting to actually mountain bike with it a big box store bike will not work. It will fall apart.
adam_p is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2020, 08:16 AM   #6
mmlreiner
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kerr County, Tx

As a Bike Cop in downtown Houston for several years Iíll tell you these important things to consider:

Completely avoid the ultra cheap bikes from Walmart or academy because they suck, arenít made for any sort of daily riding due to cheap components and have very little resale value if you decide biking isnít for you. Also, theyíre made to sort of ďone size fits allĒ and the big problem
with that is you can very easily damage your knees, back and the ulner nerve in your hand due to poor positioning. (If you find yourself riding a few days a week).

As mentioned, get a ďcheapĒ specialized, trek marlin or something similar and get fitted for the proper size. If you ride for a few times and hate it, itís easily sold. If you find yourself liking the bike then those components will last for quite a while before needing to be replaced or upgraded.

The ride on a good bike is completely night and day compared to a Walmart bike. Youíll work ten times harder on a Walmart bike doing the exact same ride than you would on a good bike.

Getting fitted is MOST IMPORTANT. I have nerve damage forever due to my ignorance about bikes when I first started out. Pm me if you want to discuss further.....I am more than happy to share my knowledge and help you get a good bike that wonít break the bank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
mmlreiner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2020, 08:27 AM   #7
rtjh
Six Point

I'm in Kingwood. There's a bike shop here I plan on going to once I get back in town from work. The riding wont be "extreme", mostly trail riding at state parks and some greenbelt riding with my boys. That being said I'd like to get one which will last for a good while.

Thanks for all the info so far.
Old 04-22-2020, 08:32 AM   #8
sierracharlie338
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere I can.... seems to be pretty limited these days
Default What's a good mountain bike to buy?

Cannondale is another option but as others have said get a bike fitted to you because that is more important than brand.

On tire size I have seen more people going to the 27.5 tires. They are a good balance between 26 and 29.

Sierracharlie outÖ
sierracharlie338 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2020, 08:37 AM   #9
hooligan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling Co.

like everyone else said get fitted, then you can buy a 1-2yo bike for half the price. Bikes do not hold their value at all, a 2-3yo bike is only worth 40-50% of what the new price is. Most bike shops will have a used rack too which can be a really good buy

If anyone tries to sell you a used bike for anywhere near new pricing just keep shopping. I know facebook has a lot of bike groups and I've gotten some great deals on there
hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2020, 08:42 AM   #10
KyleW
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gordon TX

I wanted a bike for school as well as light duty trail riding like you are talking about. I ended up with a Raleigh that I got dirt cheap off Amazon. Want to say it was a $450 bike everywhere else and I picked it up for around $170 shipped putting it in Walmart/academy pricing. Definitely check Amazon once you get fitted for it then look at previous year’s models on Amazon, you can find some deals.
KyleW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2020, 08:44 AM   #11
Ten Point

Don't over look Giant mountain bikes. We have had a couple and they are well made.

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/bikes/mountain-bikes
9452772 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2020, 08:53 AM   #12
MLank
Ten Point

Good advice here. Stay away from the cheapy crap.
MLank is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2020, 09:04 AM   #13
jshouse
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NE Texas

Tag
jshouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2020, 09:11 AM   #14
JoseyWales82
Six Point

Hunt In: Cypress, TX/Weimar, TX

Go get fitted. Or read a chart online. Doesn't really matter if you aren't a borderline height.

Then shop Craigslist and other sites like that for a good used deal.

Use the below website for your quote. You (and the owner) will be surprised at the depreciation of bikes. So you the buyer can get something awesome for a fraction of the price. You don't have to feel like you are low balling because you have the site to back you up.

https://www.bicyclebluebook.com/
JoseyWales82 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2020, 09:14 AM   #15
meltingfeather
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gillespie, San Saba & Kerr primarily

Good advice here except for the folks that want you to hose your local bike shop by going in to waste their time and then buying elsewhere.
Do what's right.
If you want their service, buy a bike from them.
meltingfeather is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2020, 09:29 AM   #16
Spoiled_TN_boy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Public Land

For $500 buy used. You will get better components for that price range.
It's similar to asking for a cheap hooker. You get what you pay for.
Spoiled_TN_boy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2020, 09:42 AM   #17
BLee15
Six Point

Hunt In: Cherokee & Crossplains

If you’re in the dfw area join this group on Facebook “pb&j [pedals bikes & junk]“. You can find a good deal for around $500. I agree don’t by new you won’t get very much of a bike for $500. Get a 29er and a air front fork.
BLee15 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2020, 09:53 AM   #18
hopedale
Ten Point

Hunt In: WMAs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkk831 View Post
Iíve been looking too. I was told the trek marlin was a good one for that price range.
Besides Trek, check out Giant - https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/bikes/mountain-bikes

And like others have said, find a bike shop, give them your budget, and try a few out.

My wife has a Trek, but when I went to get one I didn't care for the models Trek had at the time, but I did find the Giant. Rides great.
hopedale is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2020, 10:01 AM   #19
wsteffen
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jewitt, TX or any where else I can find to go

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtjh View Post
I'm in Kingwood. There's a bike shop here I plan on going to once I get back in town from work. The riding wont be "extreme", mostly trail riding at state parks and some greenbelt riding with my boys. That being said I'd like to get one which will last for a good while.

There's a bike shop by Alspaugh Hardware, Tailwind and the guy that runs it is a good person to deal with. Also Bike Barn in Atascocita. Both places are used by a lot of the bike riders in the Humble/Kingwood/Atascocita area.
wsteffen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2020, 10:29 AM   #20
jkk831
Ten Point

If anyone around Fort Worth has a 19”-20” bike for sale I would be interested.
Old 04-22-2020, 10:36 AM   #21
7sdad
Ten Point

If anyone needs a good 29er I have a medium size hard tail with top of the line components and carbon wheels I'd sell for $500.
7sdad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2020, 10:43 AM   #22
Acameron52
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coleman & Loving

Following! Really thinking about getting a bike to get into riding with my nephew.
Acameron52 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2020, 10:57 AM   #23
SL1
Eight Point

Hunt In: Anywhere

I wouldn’t over think it. Get one the gives you plenty of room over the bar when you stand flat footed. Then go have some fun. I know people that spent a grand on bike only to find out it’s not like when you were a kid having fun. You can upgrade later if you really like it. Also a lot of bikes will never be used to their potential.
SL1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2020, 10:59 AM   #24
txpitdog
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Uh yeah. About that...

Quote:

Iím in Kingwood. You are welcome to come ride my 2010 Specialized Rockhopper 29er to get an idea how a decent quality bike will still handle, ride, and function well if youíd like. It was $1200 new, I got it used for $450, and I have rode the crap out of it. Just like the 2003 Rockhopper I had before it, I have beaten the hell out of it, and it keeps going. It isnít for sale, but Iíd be happy to give you some info on what to consider, budget, component trade-offs, etc.

I would really recommend finding a good quality used bike. For what you plan to do, you donít need to spend $1000+. That said, you will get way more quality for a cared-for used bike than a lower tier new bike. Heck even if I got back into mountain biking, I would get a used bike. New bike prices are crazy!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
txpitdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2020, 11:01 AM   #25
txpitdog
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Uh yeah. About that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsteffen View Post
There's a bike shop by Alspaugh Hardware, Tailwind and the guy that runs it is a good person to deal with. Also Bike Barn in Atascocita. Both places are used by a lot of the bike riders in the Humble/Kingwood/Atascocita area.

Have used Tailwind to repair my boysí mountain bikes, and I bought my road bike at Bike Barn in Atascocita. Both are good shops with good folks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
txpitdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2020, 12:48 PM   #26
jds247
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jasper county newton county and sabine county

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL1 View Post
I wouldnít over think it. Get one the gives you plenty of room over the bar when you stand flat footed. Then go have some fun. I know people that spent a grand on bike only to find out itís not like when you were a kid having fun. You can upgrade later if you really like it. Also a lot of bikes will never be used to their potential.
I feel the same way .. i bought one for the sole purpose of riding into a hunting spot. I will use it 2 or 3 times a year.. i went to a pawn shop and got it for 40 bucks.. now If a person is gonna ride 4 days a week I could see spending the money.
jds247 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2020, 12:59 PM   #27
glpoe1
Ten Point

Hunt In: Scurry Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRB View Post
Go to a bike shop and get fitted , should be able to get a good entry level bike for 500.00.

Where are you located?
This is advice you will not regret. Wife and I bought TREK bikes from a bike shop and they have been flawless for years. Money well spent on a quality bike will make life easier. Shifters, breaks, etc. will be much more dependable.
glpoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2020, 01:06 PM   #28
3DW5
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon Co, Jim Hogg and Starr Co.

Just ordered the Giant ATX DISC 3 in olive color, should be on my doorstep next week. Great reviews and under 500 bucks.
3DW5 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2020, 01:12 PM   #29
Reaper
Pope & Young

Hunt In: the woods

Check out bikesdirect.com then do your research on the brand(s) they offer. Great bikes direct pricing. I just bought a Gravel X3 off there and absolutely love it so far. I already had a mountain bike and wanted a road bike and was directed to the site by some friends who are serious riders. You won't be out a bunch of money and can always upgrade parts.

This is a pretty good review from a novice who bought a full suspension mountain bike:
Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2020, 01:13 PM   #30
jkk831
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DW5 View Post
Just ordered the Giant ATX DISC 3 in olive color, should be on my doorstep next week. Great reviews and under 500 bucks.
Where did you order from?
Old 04-22-2020, 01:15 PM   #31
SFZack
Four Point

Hunt In: Tx Panhandle & Hunt County

I have the Academy Fat tire bike and its a piece of poo. But I just ride it around the neighborhood and to local ponds, so for the price I paid, and as little as I ride, it gets the job done.

I threw a set of ATV gun holders on the handlebars and put my two piece fishing rod in them. I get lots of jealous looks. Or maybe they think I'm stupid.....
SFZack is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2020, 02:08 PM   #32
Stoof
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Will work for hunts.

Glad this thread popped up. I am in the same boat and budget. Any of y'all know enough to comment on the Giant ATX DISC 3 Vs. the Cannondale Trail 8 2020? Same price range.
Stoof is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2020, 02:16 PM   #33
mmlreiner
Ten Point

Don’t rule out specialized. That’s what I have and I LOVE it. I know you can go on their website and order a bike and either pick it up in a store like bike barn or have it shipped.

Last edited by mmlreiner; 04-22-2020 at 02:18 PM. Reason: Stupid auto correct
Old 04-22-2020, 02:49 PM   #34
Dr. Evil
Ten Point

Check out BikesDirect.com
Great bikes, great components, low prices. Delivered to your door, very easy to assemble.

Last edited by Dr. Evil; 04-22-2020 at 02:55 PM.
Dr. Evil is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2020, 02:54 PM   #35
3DW5
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon Co, Jim Hogg and Starr Co.

Quote:
Where did you order from?
https://www.bayareacycling.com/
3DW5 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2020, 02:58 PM   #36
adam_p
Ten Point

Hunt In: Cooke, Denton, Oklahoma

Don't order a bike without getting fitted first. It matters.
adam_p is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2020, 03:08 PM   #37
AHF
Four Point

Hunt In: LAMPAZOS N.L.

https://www.performancebike.com/

Get fitted first, even if you have to pay for that, mostly bikestores fit you for free before buy a bike from them.
AHF is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2020, 03:08 PM   #38
AHF
Four Point

God advice here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
Check out bikesdirect.com then do your research on the brand(s) they offer. Great bikes direct pricing. I just bought a Gravel X3 off there and absolutely love it so far. I already had a mountain bike and wanted a road bike and was directed to the site by some friends who are serious riders. You won't be out a bunch of money and can always upgrade parts.

This is a pretty good review from a novice who bought a full suspension mountain bike: Is the Motobecane budget mountain bike legit or crap? - YouTube
Old 04-22-2020, 03:11 PM   #39
AHF
Four Point

Quote:
Dont know whether to get an Academy special or buy elsewhere. Amazon has some too. I'm not looking to spend a bunch of money, under $500 preferably. Also - are there any pro or cons of 29" tires vs the smaller sizes?

29niner all day...
Old 04-22-2020, 05:06 PM   #40
justletmein
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Public lands

Came in to post http://bikesdirect.com/ and see it's already been said. IMO better than Academy or Walmart special for sure.
justletmein is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2020, 10:28 PM   #41
gigem95
Ten Point

Hunt In: Grimes,Montgomery,Waller County

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmlreiner View Post
Donít rule out specialized. Thatís what I have and I LOVE it. I know you can go on their website and order a bike and either pick it up in a store like bike barn or have it shipped.

Got my son a Specialized Pitch a few months ago and now I want one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gigem95 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2020, 10:45 PM   #42
Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Nacogdoches,Tx

I want to get one as well...but thinking about spending a little extra and getting a hybrid. I rode one (and crashed straight into a wall), but the 5 seconds of un-man powered thrust had me hooked.
Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-23-2020, 09:25 AM   #43
gfulton
Eight Point

Trek....
gfulton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-23-2020, 09:33 AM   #44
DosToros
Six Point

Hunt In: Jim Wells County, Oklahoma, Kansas

Spend a little extra and get a QuietKat.
DosToros is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-23-2020, 09:41 AM   #45
Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Nacogdoches,Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by DosToros View Post
Spend a little extra and get a QuietKat.

LOL $500 to $3000 = a little extra
Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-23-2020, 10:05 AM   #46
laredoarcher
Ten Point

Hunt In: SouthTex

Quote:
Iíve been looking too. I was told the trek marlin was a good one for that price range.
Just bought a Trek Marlin 5 yesterday. I like it.
laredoarcher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-23-2020, 11:06 AM   #47
thegrouse
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wilson and San Saba County

I have been calling bike shops in my area. They are all busy and bikes selling like hot cakes. I would recommend a name brand bike from a bike shop that can get you fitted.
thegrouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-23-2020, 11:36 AM   #48
mmlreiner
Ten Point

Here in Houston/Montgomery area I looked for days for a bike that fits me. Literally every bike shop was sold out of medium frames. I stopped by Bike Lane in the woodlands area yesterday for some new gloves and holy crapola they were bursting at the seems with bikes. The guy I dealt with was super nice and knowledgeable. Iíll go back for anything I need as it seemed their prices werenít too bad.

For anyone looking

Old 05-11-2020, 08:25 PM   #49
rtjh
Six Point

Local bike shops were all sold out here so I did some googling and ended up buying a Raleigh Talus 4 off bikesdirect.com. I've thoroughly enjoyed riding it around over the weekend, hope to take it out on some trails soon. Seems like everyone is buying bikes right now as alot were sold out online as well.