Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Christian Clichés - "Ask Jesus Into Your Heart"

Christian Clichés

One doesn’t simply invite himself over to the White House for a night in the Lincoln Bedroom, or into Buckingham Palace for tea with the Queen. No matter how earnest your desire or assertive your request, you will be denied access.

And that’s no surprise to most people. We understand that monarchs and heads of state require a certain level of exclusivity, and we generally respect those boundaries.

However, we don’t have that understanding when it comes to the Lord and His heavenly kingdom. Too many people assume their entrance into God’s family is a function of their own earnest desire. Phrases like “Asking Jesus into my heart” or “Accepting Jesus as my personal Savior” are emblematic of a mentality that carelessly reverses the roles in salvation. And that mentality is widespread in the church—today those phrases are some of the most common Christian clichés, ushering in what you might call the era of the altar call.

During my formative years as a Christian, I became so familiar with these expressions that I never seriously thought about their meaning. I always assumed the idea was biblical, since it seemed to echo Jesus’ words in Revelation 3:20: “Behold, I stand at the door and knock; if anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and will dine with him, and he with Me.”

Knocking on the Door of Your Heart?

Jesus is not a jilted suitor shut out in the cold by those who reject Him. As Paul Washer once said, “If He wants to kick the door down, He’ll kick it down.” Additionally, the door does not represent the hearts of all people but rather the particular church that Christ’s message was aimed at. John MacArthur rightly points out:

Though this verse has been used in countless tracts and evangelistic messages to depict Christ’s knocking on the door of the sinner’s heart, it is broader than that. The door on which Christ is knocking is not the door to a single human heart, but to the Laodicean church. Christ was outside this apostate church and wanted to come in—something that could only happen if the people repented. . . . The Lord Jesus Christ urged them to repent and have fellowship with Him before the night of judgment fell and it was too late forever.
    Not only is Jesus not waiting at the doorstep of your soul, He is also not waiting for you to offer an invitation, or even respond to His invitation. The language of Scripture is that of compulsion. Paul preached, “God is now declaring to men that all people everywhere should repent” (Acts 17:30). When the apostles preached the gospel their messages ended with the strong commands to repent and believe (Acts 2:38; 3:19).

Finally, while it is true that Jesus promises to reside in believers (John 15:4), a drastic change must happen before that can take place. The unbelieving heart is dead, hard, and cold to spiritual things. Before Christ can reside in one’s heart through the Spirit, He has to exchange the heart of stone for a heart of flesh (Ezekiel 36:26).

When you stop to think about it, asking Jesus into your heart goes against the nature of the gospel, and begins one’s new spiritual life with a poor understanding of what has just occurred.

Who Needs Acceptance?

The sloppiness of modern evangelistic clichés is also painfully evident in the phrase “accepting Jesus as your personal Savior.” A brief moment of reflection should be all that’s needed to identify the problem. On the day of judgment, it is we who will need Christ’s acceptance. To say that we accept Christ dangerously assumes that we sit in judgment and Christ stands on trial.

Our evangelistic terminology needs to reflect the knowledge of our proper place with respect to Christ when it comes to gaining His acceptance. Jesus clarifies who needs to accept whom when He says,

Not everyone who says to me, “Lord, Lord,” will enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven will enter. Many will say to me on that day, “Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name cast out demons, and in your name perform many miracles?” And then will I declare to them, “I never knew you; depart from me, you who practice lawlessness.” (Matthew 7:21-23)

There is an eternal difference between you accepting Christ and Christ accepting you. I’ve often argued that the thief on the cross was a very good theologian because he had no trouble recognizing who needed whose acceptance. Perhaps, like me, you bought into the cliché without thinking it through. Whatever the case, it’s always dangerous to assume that Christian slogans equate with biblical truth.

Making Jesus Lord?

Modern evangelistic outreach regularly follows the call to “accept Jesus into your heart” with the phrase “and make Him your Lord and Savior.” Sadly, when I first encountered the language of contemporary altar calls, I never stopped to ask what Jesus’ job description entailed before I “made Him Lord and Savior.”

God’s Word is abundantly clear on this point. Christ’s Lordship has never been contingent on anybody’s willingness to grant Him that title. Jesus is Lord. And your present belief has no bearing on that eternal reality. He is Lord of Christians, atheists, and everything else in the universe—whether they bow their knee in repentance or burn in a hellfire of regret:

Being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross. For this reason also, God highly exalted Him, and bestowed on Him the name which is above every name, so that at the name of Jesus every knee will bow, of those who are in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and that every tongue will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father. (Philippians 2:8–11)

According to Paul, “Do you not know that when you present yourselves to someone as slaves for obedience, you are slaves of the one whom you obey, either of sin resulting in death, or of obedience resulting in righteousness?” (Romans 6:16) Using this Spirit-inspired logic, you don’t need to make Jesus Lord of your life, you simply need to demonstrate that He is Lord of your life by submitting to Him in repentance, faith, and obedience.

The Altar Call and Its Wayward Offspring

There is nothing wrong with evangelism that impresses upon the sinner the urgency to repent and believe. But formulaic altar calls have spawned all sorts of reckless Christianese and faulty views of salvation. They are the tragic legacy of Charles Finney, a nineteenth-century evangelist who denied the sovereignty of God in calling and regenerating sinners.

Finney’s desire to see greater numbers of converts at his meetings led him to invent the “anxious bench.” Finney was convinced that revival hinged on the preacher and his methods. The anxious bench was one of Finney’s favorite preaching tactics. It provided vacant seating at the front of the church where those who were worried about eternal matters could sit, be specifically preached at, and personally converse with the preacher after the meeting.

While you wouldn’t see that exact pattern repeated today, the pragmatic principles are still at work in modern altar calls and evangelistic crusades. It was the walk to the front that set the wheels in motion. And humanly engineered means of producing converts have been rampant ever since.

Using Appropriate Biblical Language

In stark contrast, God’s sovereign means of salvation have never changed. He draws the sinner through His call (John 6:44; Romans 8:28), convicts the sinner by the Holy Spirit (John 16:8), regenerates the sinner by His power (Ezekiel 36:26; 2 Corinthians 5:17), and sees the sinner through the lens of Christ’s atoning work (2 Corinthians 5:21).

The preacher should never presume to take upon himself any of the Holy Spirit’s responsibilities. Instead, God has chosen preaching as the means of proclaiming Christ crucified and calling for the response that He demands—repentance from sin (Acts 17:30–31) and faith toward Christ (Ephesians 2:8*–9; Acts 20:20–21).

Rather than asking sinners to accept Christ we should call them to plead for His acceptance. Rather than telling sinners to “make Jesus Lord” we should call them to submit to His lordship. And instead of calling sinners to a saving altar, we should entrust them to a sovereign Savior.

-Cameron Buettel

This post was first published during January 2016. –ed. One doesn’t simply invite himself over to the White House for a night in the Lincoln Bedroom, or into Buckingham Palace for tea with the
    Last edited by Pineywoods; 05-20-2021, 02:41 PM.

Great stuff. You have no idea how exactly perfect the timing of this post is. No idea

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
      Great stuff. You have no idea how exactly perfect the timing of this post is. No idea
      Funny how that works sometimes.

Comment

I think there are as many problematic assertions made by this fella as he brought to question from his point of view.
        He seems to favor the idea of predestination. So if Christ isn't knocking on your door personally you're SOL.
        I disagree with too much of what was written there to fully discuss in a few thumb typed words but after years of study in the scriptures I have come to a bit different point of view.
        One thing I can agree is I don't like the whole alter call approach.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Much of that (not all) is a theological debate that’s been going on forever - Calvinism vs Armininianism.

Comment

I read it almost like your saved by your works and what type of Christian you are, not by the simplicity of asking the Holy Spirit to dwell within you and ask for forgiveness and become “born again” in Christ. So I am not a subscriber to the above. Thanks for sharing though.

Comment

Originally posted by John Paul View Post
              I read it almost like your saved by your works and what type of Christian you are, not by the simplicity of asking the Holy Spirit to dwell within you and ask for forgiveness and become “born again” in Christ. So I am not a subscriber to the above. Thanks for sharing though.
              That's not at all what was said. No one is saved by works. This is from the article...

God’s sovereign means of salvation have never changed. He draws the sinner through His call (John 6:44; Romans 8:28), convicts the sinner by the Holy Spirit (John 16:8), regenerates the sinner by His power (Ezekiel 36:26; 2 Corinthians 5:17), and sees the sinner through the lens of Christ’s atoning work (2 Corinthians 5:21).

Salvation is Christ's work alone, not ours. Even the faith to believe and the desire to repent is from Him. Salvation is given by grace, which by definition is undeserved, unearned... we can never be good enough. The point of the article was to teach against the unscriptural easy believism that is so prevalent. The term "just ask Jesus into your heart" is bad theology. Repentance from sin and faith in Christ are always present at true salvation but not always present when someone just "prays this little prayer" to get to go to heaven. Salvation is a work of the Holy Spirit, not a work of man.

Comment

Totally don’t disagree at that, but two questions,

1. Thief next to Christ on the cross, prayed a simple prayer instructed by Jesus, and he said you will be with me in Heaven.

2. Murderer on his Death Bed, comes to Christ. Like it or not, yep.

Difference is spiritual fullness in your life, living a full fruitful life for Christ is different than just simply saying the simple prayer. Both are saved, but whom lived a more spiritually fruitful life as a true disciple for the Lord?

Enter the Bema Seat, your in the door, now how did you live.

Comment

1. Thief next to Christ on the cross, prayed a simple prayer instructed by Jesus, and he said you will be with me in Heaven.

Difference is spiritual fullness in your life, living a full fruitful life for Christ is different than just simply saying the simple prayer. Both are saved, but whom lived a more spiritually fruitful life as a true disciple for the Lord?

I dont think we're disagreeing on anything. The thief on the cross or murderer on death bed are saved the same way anyone else is. The faith to believe in Jesus as our only hope, and repentance (turning from our sin) will always be present at salvation. They just didn't get to live out a life that showed it but it was real none the less if they truly surrendered to Christ as their Lord as the Father drew them.

Edit: I should clarify that prayer accompanies salvation almost always. I just mean that someone just reciting some formal prayer or repeating something after a preacher just to get to heaven and thinking that gives them a get out of hell free card is unfortunate. A prayer because the Word has brought conviction and God has revealed Himself to that person and drawn them to repentance is a whole different thing.
                  Last edited by Pineywoods; 05-20-2021, 08:11 PM.

Comment

Ok then, must of misunderstood some of the authors conclusions. But it does seem we are pretty much on the same page. Not that every body has to be, most important point is the conversation and the want to be a better disciple and follower of Christ. Thanks for the convo...

Comment

Ok then, must of misunderstood some of the authors conclusions. But it does seem we are pretty much on the same page. Not that every body has to be, most important point is the conversation and the want to be a better disciple and follower of Christ. Thanks for the convo...
                      Yes sir. I love discussing God's word. We won't all agree on everything and none of us have everything correct. You are correct that we should all just desire to know God's word more that we would be more obedient. Have a great night brother.

Comment

That’s the great thing about grace!

Best told by Christ himself in Matthew 20:1-16

Comment

I feel the article is straing a knat and swallowing a camel…

Context goes into every gospel conversation….how many have yall had today?

Comment

I tried to read what you posted and couldn’t . I’m a simple person so I try to keep things simple. IMO you can pray all the rehearsed prayers you want and do all the biblical things you think you need to do. But until you actually open up and talk to God and confess , in you’re own terms , it matters. How many have actually just talked to God not asking for anything but just talking and thanking ?

Comment

I witnessed to a fellow a few years ago.. he opened the door.. he asked how I was and I told him I’m blessed!!
                              He in return said I’m blessed also I woke up this morning..
                              I replied either ways ok when you belong to Jesus as matter fact not waking up is better
                              No more pain sinus problems no more taxies!
                              I’m heaven bound!!!
                              How great it’s going to be.
                              He replied I am also!! I pray that prayer with Joel every Sunday!!

If you claim to be saved and the world cannot see the difference in you than the rest of the world you have been deceived.
                              Good article Josh
                              Be blessed

Comment

Working...
                              X