Durango / Silverton Train and Family Camping Trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Durango / Silverton Train and Family Camping Trip

We are starting to plan a family camping trip to Colorado this summer. I know of a few spots that we could camp, but they are going to be tough to get to with 4 children 5 and under in tow. I would like to find somewhere to camp that is a little off the beaten path, but one where you really don't need an ATV to get to. Any ideas? Near a river or lake would be awesome! We are planning the week of the 4th of July so it is going to be crowded I'm afraid. I would like to camp primitive, but I do not think our traveling partners will be willing to so we may need an actual campground with facilities. Still working on this!

We are also looking to do the train with the kids. It has been 30 years since I rode it, but we did the open air car. I'm assuming that would be the preferred option? It looks like the shuttle is shut down this year so we are going to end up spending a whole day on the train.

I would also like to be able to find a place to do a little fly fishing if we get time.
    Last edited by Hockley; 03-29-2021, 08:58 AM.

They have some nice campgrounds up near Vallecito lake. You would be near water and still close enough to do the train as well as Mesa Verde.

Comment

Originally posted by ladrones View Post
      They have some nice campgrounds up near Vallecito lake. You would be near water and still close enough to do the train as well as Mesa Verde.
      I forgot about Mesa Verde, that would be perfect!

Comment

X2 on Vallecito Lake.

Comment

Open air only way to go on train. Yes July will be crowded!!!

Comment

Since you're willing to go primitive, you can camp anywhere you want on BLM land and there are plenty of previously used campsites you'll see just off the side of the road near streams and lakes. Most of the main entrance roads you don't need 4x4. You can use onX to see where the BLM land is wherever you are in the state.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Reaper View Post
              Since you're willing to go primitive, you can camp anywhere you want on BLM land and there are plenty of previously used campsites you'll see just off the side of the road near streams and lakes. Most of the main entrance roads you don't need 4x4. You can use onX to see where the BLM land is wherever you are in the state.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
              Yes, I plan to use Onx, unfortunately I don't think primitive will be an option after checking with one of our traveling mates!

Comment

Be sure to check on if reservations are needed for any campground. It was crazy busy all over the mountains last summer, will be just as busy this summer.
                Not sure of they are renting but the USFS has some primitive cabins they rent all over the NF.

The train is very cool, hope you can get on it.

Comment

If primitive is a no go -

here are all the gov campgrounds that show up for Durango.- https://www.recreation.gov/search?q=Durango%2C%20CO

here is map of state parks in CO - https://cpw.state.co.us/placestogo/p...s/ParkMap.aspx

here is a mix of private/public ones in the area - https://www.google.com/search?safe=a...qKibzcgk4A;mv:[[37.8615706,-107.4823746],[37.363231,-107.9028495]]

Outside of that, you can search for private campgrounds, but in my experience they are much more "closed in" than the public ones. Instead of camping within 1000s of acres, you will probably end up camping in 2 - 5 acres.

I love the area, but mostly camp primitive and off the beaten path.

Given your trip dates, you probably need to lock down a campground and get it booked NOW if at all possible! My guess is that 50% + of them are already booked. It's crazy how far in advance folks book up these things!

Comment

Open cars get the cinders from the engine, depending on the wind direction and tunnels. It's a fun trip though.

Comment

take at look at Molas Lake Campground Silverton CO. the train actually terminates there from Durango. great scenery and plenty of amenities. It will sell out fast so get your reservation soon.

The official Molas Lake Campground web site providing reservations and information about the Molas Lake Campground owned by Town of Silverton, Colorado in the San Juan National Forest

Comment

They now also run a Steam Engine if the embers issue is a concern with open air car. We did the steam engine this past summer with outside car and no smoke or ember issues at all. Molas Lake or Lake Vallecito are both good camping options, but will book up fast. I caught quite a few trout from the shore lines at Lake Vallecito last time we stayed up there.

Comment

The train ride is very cool. We did an inside car & it was nice. We stayed at the KOA north of Durango & it was perfect. It's right on the river & saw Elk several times.

Comment

Originally posted by easeup View Post
                            take at look at Molas Lake Campground Silverton CO. the train actually terminates there from Durango. great scenery and plenty of amenities. It will sell out fast so get your reservation soon.

http://www.molaslake.com/
                            Thank you, I'm looking at this one hard! Looks like there are 3 options for campsites that I could get two close to each other.

Comment

Originally posted by 76aggie View Post
                              X2 on Vallecito Lake.
                              Googled it and found some campgrounds we will be looking into!

Comment

Working...
                              X