Horse Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Horse Question

How well do horses do without any cover like horse blankets in this weather?

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

They get cold.

Comment

Do they have a wind break?

Comment

Do they just fine

Comment

Originally posted by jbonney1986 View Post
          Do they just fine
          You thank much very.

Comment

If it’s cold enough it’ll kill an old horse. Wind break is important. If you can feed them it will help.

Comment

It doesn't really bother them.
              Never did ours anyway.
              They can't take a quick temperature change, but they're good to go otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                You thank much very.
                Haha

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                  You thank much very.
                  Oh rats

Comment

Originally posted by firemanjj82 View Post
                    How well do horses do without any cover like horse blankets in this weather?

They are fine if you havent been blanketing them and they have had a chance to adjust to winter weather. Horses do better with cold than heat. When we moved up here at the end of Oct. We knew we would be driving through an early winter storm, two days after leaving 87 degrees in Tyler they stayed in Bozeman with -20°. We blanketed them and they didnt shiver or anything. Now that they have had a chance to grow in winter coats they dont get blanketed. Of course its a lot warmer here than Bozeman but have had a lot of teens and 20s lately.

My wife works in the vet field and we consulted several before the move. If you do blanket them make sure to remove the blanket the moment it gets warm or they get active or acclimated. Getting hot and sweaty under the blanket then getting cold is worse than if you had never blanketed them and can kill them.

In summary, we have given a lot of thought to this and blanket them if you have to for short periods. With what Texas is going through right now you are most likely fine with a healthy horse that hasn't been shaven or blanketed to keep its winter fur from coming in. Go out and stick your hsnd on them, if you feel shivering give'em a blanket.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Comment

We never did ours up in Michigan

Comment

Originally posted by Mission408 View Post
                        We never did ours up in Michigan

There’s your answer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Killer View Post
                          Do they have a wind break?
                          Trees

These are horses next to the fire station. They have been overall neglected, and we've been contacting animal control and SPCA, but nothing changes. We've been buying feed and hay for them since it got cold because there's really nothing but weeds and they nibble on very short clover. No shelter other than some trees here and there.

I was just asking because a random citizen was trying to get some horse blankets on them and the owner chased them away.

Last edited by firemanjj82; 02-14-2021, 08:05 PM.

Comment

Lost one last cold spell

Comment

They need a wind break and high energy food to stay warm. Horses have a more sensitive digestive system than cows they need sweet feed, rolled oats or “horse hay” which is high quality Bermuda or alfalfa. When it’s this cold they need more food and they need more than dried grass or weeds standing in the field.

Comment

Working...
                              X