Wedding ring for a buddy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wedding ring for a buddy

I had the privilege of making a wedding band for a good friend of mine. I have made several things on my lathe but i am no accomplished ring maker by any means! I seriously went through about 10 different ones before i could really say this is the one! I was having trouble with the solid antler and wood, because that antler is pretty tough. I am working with a wood lathe but really would probably have more precise results on a metal lathe. I went ahead and made two just in case he or she weren't happy with the first. I hope they both will enjoy whichever one he chooses to wear for many years to come! The one with the line in the middle is crushed antler inlay that i picked up on the bachelor trip a couple of weeks ago. I figured that would add a little sentimental value to it also. what do you guys think?
    Attached Files

Looks pretty cool nice job.

Comment

thanks buddy

Comment

Nice work! I made one from 316 stainless a while back but it started discoloring and turning my finger green. Still have it but no longer wear it. Thought about having it powder coated. I like antler mix on these, you might have a new hobby!

Comment

The rings are beautiful, but why in the world would you encourage a buddy to get married.

Does the bride's father have a big ranch and mineral rights?

Comment

Originally posted by UncleBubba View Post
            Nice work! I made one from 316 stainless a while back but it started discoloring and turning my finger green. Still have it but no longer wear it. Thought about having it powder coated. I like antler mix on these, you might have a new hobby!
            well I do work on some woodwork on the side already. Duck calls, turkey calls, pens, razor handles, bottle stoppers. Its all fun but i really like the sentimental part of making things for folks.

I made some pens for a lady and her siblings from some flooring out of their grand parents 100+ year old house. Thats the fun stuff!

Comment

Very nice work and a great gesture. My son purchased one on line like these and he had trouble with the wood. It looks like you have it sealed good so hopefully it will last for years.

Comment

Originally posted by Honker View Post
                The rings are beautiful, but why in the world would you encourage a buddy to get married.

Does the bride's father have a big ranch and mineral rights?
                I'm not the encourager in this situation! lol I just make the rings and drink a few with him before he cant anymore!

Comment

I would wear 1. Great work.

Comment

Originally posted by 7sdad View Post
                    Very nice work and a great gesture. My son purchased one on line like these and he had trouble with the wood. It looks like you have it sealed good so hopefully it will last for years.
                    I use a CA finish that will most likely wear over the years, but it is should be water tight for a good while. I put about 10 good layers on there to try and make it as durable as possible. I also use micro mesh and sand it down to a 12,000 grit finish to make it shine.

Comment

That's some dang good work!!

Comment

Very nice looking.

Comment

Those are really cool. very nice work. What would you charge for one of those?

Comment

Thanks guys!

Originally posted by bullhead44 View Post
                            Those are really cool. very nice work. What would you charge for one of those?
                            Its really kind of a hard question. It doesn't cost a ton to get the material and all sorted but the time is def. a factor on them. There are some companies that sell similar ones for well over $300 which i think is kinda ridiculous. I would think anywhere between $80-$120 depending on material.

Comment

Dang, both are awesome, well done!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X