No announcement yet.

what to use to kill a hackberry tree

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’m curious why you want to kill it but don’t want to cut it down??? Are you going to leave it standing dead?

Comment

eight yr old boy with a new hatchet
      heard it from a friend

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
        Bore 4 or 5 holes near the base and pour grrr gasoline in them. It will die..

I put a tone of holes in the trunk after I shave it down to the ground. Then fill them with rock salt. I've also seen used motor oil used. And even set on fire. But that can smolder for days. And burning oil stinks. I've had enough smolder-n in my lifetime while working in heavy steel fab shops when I was younger.

Comment

Originally posted by IkemanTX View Post
          Remedy or Tordon would be my suggestions. Both are best applied to a wound. This is often times referred to as “Hack and Squirt” seeing as you hack the tree with a hatchet to break the bark, then spray the mixture in the wound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tordon works great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by draco View Post
            just water it and fertilize it and love it and it will die on a calm day and fall over just to **** you off.
            lol!

Comment

Originally posted by PYBUCK View Post
              Have it relocated instead of killing it.
              Or just remove it's food source and it will leave on its own.

Comment

Remedy diesel mix

Comment

Two words; Monkey Chow!

cricman

Comment

Dupont Velpar-L
                    Mix it 4oz to the gallon..Spray all around the base.Let it dry..Put a sprinkler around it..The bark will fall off in a week.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin View Post
                      I’m just curious why you want to kill it?
                      Because a hackberry's sole purpose in life is to die and break off in large pieces to fall on whatever is near, like a fence, car or house.

I just had one cut down that I was on way borrowed time with.

Comment

remedy!

Comment

Cut it down to ground level, light a bag of charcoal on top of the stump and burn it a few inches below grade.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

I’ve had good luck with this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by bearintex View Post
                              Because a hackberry's sole purpose in life is to die and break off in large pieces to fall on whatever is near, like a fence, car or house.

I just had one cut down that I was on way borrowed time with.
                              Sorry should have clarified. Why kill it vs cut it down. It will be way more dangerous dead and standing vs cut and dying.

Comment

I have ... scratch that ... had several very large hackberries. They grew wicked crooked and like Draco said - fall over just to make you mad. I just cut the the big ones about 2' up and then cut again at ground level. Dribble remedy and diesel on them and in 2-3 years the stump will be completely rotted and gone. Obviously just cutting them down will allow them to resprout. The mulcher/ grinder works well too, but you will need to go below surface.

Comment

Working...
                                X