• Show
Clear All

Authentic Pork Skins "Chicharrones"

Click image for larger version

Name:	hog.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	25251216

I remember my uncles getting together and going hunting together. They would harvest and bring back home everything they killed. I remember a time when I was about 7yro that they killed a wild pig. I remember them making a fire of mesquite wood and later cooking up some Chicharrons on the pila/disc. This was good times for me growing up and I've never forgotten my family tradition. It's nothing compared to the store bought pig skins. To date I love living off the land and following my cultures original way of cooking, but here is a video of a chef that has made the process of cooking Chichorrones to the modern kitchen. From the video he seems to love his own cooking.. I might have to try that process/recipe some day... Your thoughts?

Growing up my grandfather would raise a pig every year that would get slaughtered around December 23. My family would get together for what seemed like an all day event. The pig would get slaughtered, processed and all types of pork dishes would be cooked to include chicharones. Unfortunately, I don’t remember the way they cooked them as I was a small child. Most of the cooking to place outside on an open fire. For the chicharones, a large copper “tub” called a “caso” was used.

While my memories are vague, this recipe seems to be very similar to the way the chicharones were cooked. I don’t believe any flower was used and I don’t remember anything as to allowing them to cool before a final deep fry. They certainly look and sound good in the video.

Let us know how it goes if you cook some up. I will certainly try to cook some up at some point.

Comment

I wish I could understand that video. I have yet to perfect the art of cooking the perfect chicharones but I keep trying.

Comment

Originally posted by Geezy Rider View Post
        I wish I could understand that video. I have yet to perfect the art of cooking the perfect chicharones but I keep trying.

I was thinking the same thing .

Comment

Working...
        X