Who'll be first? E-F150

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scubasteveo View Post
    Their price point will sell the trucks. Under $40,000 for standard model, plus a tax break means you can get it for right at $33,000. They will sell like hot cakes.
    I'll be first in line... The "base" model is only available as a supercrew 5.5ft bed. I can't find it again but they indicated the entry level (base and XLT) will have hands-free apple/android on their large-format screen.

I don't tow a lot other than around town and otherwise just use it for basic truck stuff. It'll work for me and will be cheap with the rebate. Only changes would be different wheels, tonneau, tinted windows, and spray-in bed liner.

I would assume it will be very, very similar in feature set to the F150 XL supercrew...

Comment

Originally posted by EastTexasMan View Post
      So how much is my electric bill going up charging these things 12-14 hours a day?

Also, when we start shutting down coal / gas plants, how are we going to provide said electricity to charge them?
      Easy on the first. Not so much on the second. Figure out the size of the battery. I haven't found the spec yet. Let's say it is 75KWH battery (usable) in the 230 mile version. Depleted to "0" and charging back to 75kWh would cost your base rate plus about a 20% loss for heat. 75*1.2= 90 kWh at my rate of .093 means it would cost me about $8.37 to fill the "e-tank". 8.37/230 is .0364 cents per mile in electricity. Compare to gas assuming 17MPG which is what my XLT5.0 got. 230/17 13.59 gallons of gas @ 2.5/gallon is $33.82. 33.82/230 is 14.7 cents per mile.

Note you also don't have to change oil, trans fluid, flush radiator or any of that particular type of maintenance so that adds cost on the gas side as well.

I've added solar at my house and will switch to time of use and charge the vehicle on off-peak to cut the cost further and/or have it charge during the day when it is "free". I'm just moving electrons around at that point, though, as when the vehicle is charging those electrons are either not being used elsewhere or going back onto the grid for later use. Same cost either way unless I up my solar output.

Comment

By 2035 all Manufacturers will have to produce 100% electric vehicles..GM Already announced switching sooner..
        Don't think the power grid will be able to support this lofty goal..

Comment

wonder if they will have an AOC model/package with a new color of green .

Comment

Yeah lets dump a few million pounds of lithium and other heavy metals into ground every year, sounds like an environmental win!!

Comment

Originally posted by ken800 View Post
              Easy on the first. Not so much on the second. Figure out the size of the battery. I haven't found the spec yet. Let's say it is 75KWH battery (usable) in the 230 mile version. Depleted to "0" and charging back to 75kWh would cost your base rate plus about a 20% loss for heat. 75*1.2= 90 kWh at my rate of .093 means it would cost me about $8.37 to fill the "e-tank". 8.37/230 is .0364 cents per mile in electricity. Compare to gas assuming 17MPG which is what my XLT5.0 got. 230/17 13.59 gallons of gas @ 2.5/gallon is $33.82. 33.82/230 is 14.7 cents per mile.

Note you also don't have to change oil, trans fluid, flush radiator or any of that particular type of maintenance so that adds cost on the gas side as well.

I've added solar at my house and will switch to time of use and charge the vehicle on off-peak to cut the cost further and/or have it charge during the day when it is "free". I'm just moving electrons around at that point, though, as when the vehicle is charging those electrons are either not being used elsewhere or going back onto the grid for later use. Same cost either way unless I up my solar output.
              Don't forget to factor in the battery replacement, which is about every 100,000 miles on Ford hybrids. Your looking at about 10-15 thousand for that. Still cheaper than gas, but not as cheap.

Comment

no way, until we're forced to by the govt. penalizing folks with gas-burners and not going green, through stiff penalties.
                It's coming.

Comment

WOW it's great. 300 miles unloaded at 45 mph and endorsed by a puppet what could be better. I'll bet there are convenient charging stations at every border check station in Brewster county. Wait a minute I wonder how many times I can get away with, well honey I had to stay overnight and charge my batteries!

Comment

everyone needs a "FRUNK". haha

Click image for larger version

Name:	frunk.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	24652791

Comment

Life of batteries....In just a few years, the vehicle is basically worth 0, because it needs batteries... Even if you don't put many miles on it, or especially if you don't put many miles on it?

Comment

Originally posted by ultrastealth View Post
                        Don't forget to factor in the battery replacement, which is about every 100,000 miles on Ford hybrids. Your looking at about 10-15 thousand for that. Still cheaper than gas, but not as cheap.
                        Yep... That's definitely an unknown at this point. Battery technology is getting a lot better, though. The chevrolet volt is an interesting standout. Their batteries have stood the test of time better than most. The hope is that 10 years in when it is time to replace, they will be a lot cheaper and the "core swap" eats into that cost. We'll see... This is probably the biggest worry for EVs by far.

I'll still buy one, though, assuming the base isn't vaporware and the 7500 credit still applies.

I say this because I own a Volt now and driving an EV is really quite incredible. Once you have done it, it's hard to get back in the ICE-based vehicle without feeling like you are getting in an old clunker.
                        Last edited by ken800; 05-20-2021, 02:32 PM.

Comment

If it works as well as gas, then why not? That said, I won't be interested in buying one until it's convenient and quick to charge one. When there are charging stations in San Augustine, or Center, or Carthage, and all the other small towns between the house and the deer lease, maybe I'll consider it. Until then it's a non-starter. I also don't want to have to spend an hour recharging on long road trips. So I guess we'll see in a few years.

Comment

Ill give it a couple of years and then get one.

Comment

Can you imagine the lines at buccees to charge a car?

Comment

Wow! this has to be the most prolific post I have ever made! 74 replies in just a few hours.
                                My view on this started a few years back. Back in 2008 I was looking for a new commuter car. Looked @ a hybrid. One of my concerns was the batteries. When I asked when they would need replacing and how much would it cost, they could/would not give me an answer. That along with the time and cost to recharge the vehicle seemed prohibitive to me @ the time.
                                When someone who should know will not give an answer to a question they should have an answer to, that is usually a deal killer to me. Most of the issues I had 13 yrs ago are still valid today.
                                That said, I have not seriously looked into alternative fueled vehicles since.
                                I'm an Old Fart and am not likely to change my ways anytime soon.
                                Long live gasoline!
                                Last edited by locolobo; 05-20-2021, 04:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X