No announcement yet.

The Backcountry Gear Thread!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just got a pair of Schnee's Timberlines in the mail that I bought during their sale. Ive been struggling to find a boot with real support that my foot gets along with. Crispis and Meindls were not the answer for me. Salomons work with my foot but I wanted something stiffer and I've never felt real confident in their waterproofness. After walking around the house in the Schnee's I've got high hopes these are the ones! Ready to put some miles on them and really break them in.

Comment

Well, I got really lucky and drew in New Mexico. Northern part of the state. This will be my first time going out of state to hunt, first time elk hunting. I knew I was going this year so I have put some clothing together the last few months. I'm still looking for a good pair of pants. I really dont know what to expect. How heavy of a pant is recommended middle of October in North New Mexico? I am going to be buying a pair of zip off base layer bottoms. Probably the KUIU ones. Just dont know what to do about pants.

Comment

Originally posted by ejj005 View Post
        Well, I got really lucky and drew in New Mexico. Northern part of the state. This will be my first time going out of state to hunt, first time elk hunting. I knew I was going this year so I have put some clothing together the last few months. I'm still looking for a good pair of pants. I really dont know what to expect. How heavy of a pant is recommended middle of October in North New Mexico? I am going to be buying a pair of zip off base layer bottoms. Probably the KUIU ones. Just dont know what to do about pants.
        I pretty much wear Prana zion stretch year round. Ive even skied in them. I hunt Sept Elk all the way to Jan NM/AZ mule deer in them. Built in belt is great with a pack on. I struggle with hot spots any time I have belt and pack

I wouldn’t go to heavy of a material, I’d concentrate more on zip off base layer.

If you are dead set on Kuiu, you can never go wrong with the attack, I still have a pair of the original Canadian made ones.

If you are close to scheels, you might try on a pair stone glacier pants, it’s adjustable sizing is pretty nice, and eliminates need for a belt
        Last edited by Texans42; 04-29-2021, 06:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
          I pretty much wear Prana zion stretch year round. Ive even skied in them. I hunt Sept Elk all the way to Jan NM/AZ mule deer in them. Built in belt is great with a pack on. I struggle with hot spots any time I have belt and pack

I wouldn’t go to heavy of a material, I’d concentrate more on zip off base layer.

If you are dead set on Kuiu, you can never go wrong with the attack, I still have a pair of the original Canadian made ones.

If you are close to scheels, you might try on a pair stone glacier pants, it’s adjustable sizing is pretty nice, and eliminates need for a belt

I appreciate it. Yeah I was thinking Kuiu for the zip offs just from what I have heard. Pretty open on brands for pants. I had heard great things about the attacks. I am planning on making a trip to a Scheels sometime soon as I need to try on boots also. So will definitely wait until then to try on pants.

My main concern is being to cold with just the base layer and pants. Do I need an insulation layer for pants also? I'm sure there is always a chance of really bad weather. But what is typical?

Comment

If you where hunting Wy or Montana that late, I’d still recommend same pants but tell you to bring two pairs of zip off bottoms base layer. Light weight and a heavy weight.

For NM I’d just go with lightweight wool IMO. You will probably end up taking them off by 9:00.

Mountain cold isn’t near as bad as TX cold IMO.

Comment

If you where hunting Wy or Montana that late, I’d still recommend same pants but tell you to bring two pairs of zip off bottoms base layer. Light weight and a heavy weight.

For NM I’d just go with lightweight wool IMO. You will probably end up taking them off by 9:00.

Mountain cold isn’t near as bad as TX cold IMO.
              Thank you! I will try some stuff out when I make it over to scheels. I dont have one close but need to go to try on boots as mentioned. Not wanting to buy those without trying on.

Comment

Thank you! I will try some stuff out when I make it over to scheels. I dont have one close but need to go to try on boots as mentioned. Not wanting to buy those without trying on.
                My western hunt attire is simple

Base layer-> Kuiu 145 shirt and zip offs- 20% off via birthday code

Pants->Prana zion stretch -$45

Mid layer- grid fleece hoodie -stone glacier, Kuiu 97-210 fleece, firstlite Klamath, Sitka fanatic, budget-> Duluth. I vary which one based on season dates from lighter to heavier. Duluth is only $60

Outer- MH ghost whisper jacket - think I got mine for $150

Rain jacket Columbia outdry extreme w/put zips- Got for I think a $100

Gaiters-kuiu and Mountain Hardware

I basically shop close outs and normally get a min 20% off.

Socks -LW farm to feet off camo fire.

I'm not a big softshell guy(i think grid fleece breathes better), but it's a good later season option. If I need to beat wind while glassing I put on my rain jacket.

Comment

Hard to beat the Prana Zion. Give the Kuhl Renegades a look as well.

Comment

I just bought the prana Zion pants based off your recommendation. They came in yesterday and are really nice. I’m looking forward to really trying them out. Where on earth did you buy them for $45 though?

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
                      How do y'all clean or sanitize your hydration packs?
                      I use those pills that people use for their dentures, drop 2 tablets in and fill with water and let it set overnight.

Comment

Originally posted by Puncher51 View Post
                        I just bought the prana Zion pants based off your recommendation. They came in yesterday and are really nice. I’m looking forward to really trying them out. Where on earth did you buy them for $45 though?
                        PM me.

Comment

FYI for those hunting later season Mr Buddy is only safe to 7k’, with that said they introduced a new version good to 9k’. It’s called the flex.

Comment

Trying to get a Christmas list together. How many of you use trekking poles, and if so any recommendations?

Comment

Originally posted by solocam_aggie View Post
                              Trying to get a Christmas list together. How many of you use trekking poles, and if so any recommendations?
                              I do and on deep trek I use them instead of tripod depending on country.

I stay to use hunter friendly brands. PEAX or S&S archery

Comment

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
                                I am extremely way too excited about this purchase. Full tailgate cutting board

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                I need this so bad

Comment

Working...
                                X