Houston to ATL to JoBurg Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by aclark0495 View Post
    as long as the first flight isn't delayed you should be fine. That airport is very easy to navigate and your Flight attendants can always phone ahead and tell them you are coming once you hit the ground in Atlanta.
    This is the uncertainty that is alarming. I have been told it will not be an issue as long as their is no delay. However delays cannot be predicted.

Comment

Originally posted by outlook8 View Post
      How much does it cost if you miss your connection? I would be getting on an earlier flight, if only to avoid the stress of trying to make a tight connection.
      Because both flights are Delta flights, missing my connection would not cost me anything. It would be their responsibility to get me on the next available flight over. That is what a Delta agent told me anyway.

Comment

Can’t help with your flights, but good luck on your hunt !

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Spies View Post
          Yessir I am. This is my main concern is bowcases making it!
          I was worried about that also. Harry has crossbows you can use if that happens. enjoy yourself and look forward to seeing pictures!

Comment

Originally posted by JDALEX View Post
            I was worried about that also. Harry has crossbows you can use if that happens. enjoy yourself and look forward to seeing pictures!

I'd have to pay the $300 to change flights before showing up to a hunt of a lifetime to just use a crossbow

Comment

The folks with Delta are telling me that delays this time of year are usually storm related and even if I change to the little earlier ATL arrival I would more than likely miss my flight if there was a delay, because these delays will typically be 3+ hours.

Comment

Not For Sure

Originally posted by aclark0495 View Post
                as long as the first flight isn't delayed you should be fine. That airport is very easy to navigate and your Flight attendants can always phone ahead and tell them you are coming once you hit the ground in Atlanta.
                I can speak from experience just Sunday when I flew from Austin to Charlotte. They will not hold a plane for anyone due to everyone else on the flight are seated and any standby's have already been issued. But this is because the 1st flight from Austin was 30 minutes late departing. Otherwise it would have been plenty of time. The train will get you from one terminal to your next very quickly.

Comment

Maybe I’m missing something here but both time I’ve flown Delta from Houston to Atlanta to Joberg I check my bow at IAH and never saw it again until I hit the police station in Joberg. I think you are fine, you are already checked in and already inside the terminal so all you need to do is go from point A to B.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

You’ll be fine.

Austin leaving for Atlanta is usually on time.

There’s often a tailwind, and we get in early about half the time.

I make 30 minute or less Delta connections all the time in Atlanta.

It’s five minutes to the train from just about any gate, five minutes on the train, and five minutes to your next gate from the train.

Longest wait is getting off the plane.....if you are anywhere near the front of the plane, you’ll be good.

Your luggage will beat you to your plane.

Coming back is a totally different story. Customs in Atlanta sucks....
                    Last edited by Atfulldraw; 08-07-2019, 10:57 PM.

Comment

I’d be more worried about a short connection coming back through Atlanta than going over. As has been mentioned, there customs process is slow and moderate even with Global Entry.

Comment

You will be good, just make sure your baggage is checked to joberg when you check in at at Iah.

Comment

Rifle and Bow Cases once they get to Johan are moved to a separate location than regular baggage...whoever is meeting you should know where the cases will be located....

Comment

Originally posted by Atfulldraw View Post
                            You’ll be fine.

It’s five minutes to the train from just about any gate, five minutes on the train, and five minutes to your next gate from the train.

Longest wait is getting off the plane.....if you are anywhere near the front of the plane, you’ll be good.

Coming back is a totally different story. Customs in Atlanta sucks....
                            Glad to hear some first hand. Thanks bud!

Comment

ou’ll be fine.

That's been my experience at the Atlanta airport. I would suggest that when you get on the subway that you do hold on to something or sit down though. I caught a woman who wasn't holding on when the train took off.

Delta is pretty easy to deal with and I pretty much fly them exclusively these days.

Good luck.

Comment

Just did the Delta 200 to Jo'Berg in June connecting through Atlanta. Keep in mind the layover time they give you is from wheels down. We had a 2 hour layover so we had time. After landing we taxied for about 10 minutes then it took us maybe another 10 minutes to deplane. As mentioned already it may take you about 15 minutes to get to the gate depending on the gate where your connection lands. 56 minutes may be tight. Do yourself a favor and have a look at the Atlanta airport map before you leave. That might save you some time when making the transfer. I did talk to a hunter in O.R Tambo whose gun and luggage didn't make the transfer in ATL. Not sure of his circumstances though.

By the way I noticed you mentioned a bowcase. Note that the bowcases at O.R Tambo should come out on the oversize luggage carousel which is just past the passport check. This will be a different carousel than your luggage. Bowcases don't have to be cleared in Jo'Berg like guns so you can just grab it and go. My bowcase did not end up with the guns at the Airport Police checkpoint as I was told it would and I had to send an airport worker back to pick it up as we were already outside the security zone. Don't leave the baggage claim area until you have looked for your bowcase. I'd heard that bowcases sometimes end up with the guns but check first before you leave the security area. Have a great hunt.

Comment

Working...
                                X