Preventing Gravel Erosion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Preventing Gravel Erosion

A couple years back I installed a culvert on my property where a seasonal creek runs. The culvert is located on the lowest part of the land so when we get a good rain it has slowly washed away the fill dirt we put on top of culvert. I plan on getting a load of small gravel to mound up on culvert again.

My question is, is there any type of fast growing grass seed that'll grow anywhere (like in between gravel) and requires little to no care. Is this the best option for preventing erosion in the future? What have yall done. Just trying to prevent having to do this again in the future.

A few bags of saccrete is your best bet

Comment

Bermuda will grow in and around the gravel

Comment

What about cement around the culvert and clay on top of that?

Comment

Sounds like if water is going over top of your road you have exceeded the capacity of the culvert. Two smaller culverts or one larger one needed. If water continues to flow over the top on heavy rains will be a challenge to prevent erosion. Just my .02

Comment

Originally posted by HogHunter34 View Post
            Sounds like if water is going over top of your road you have exceeded the capacity of the culvert. Two smaller culverts or one larger one needed. If water continues to flow over the top on heavy rains will be a challenge to prevent erosion. Just my .02
            Yes sir, however the culvert is located at the bottom of a slope. During a heavy rainstorm, the water rushes down slope and that is whats washing away fill dirt. The culvert does its job for the season creek that runs through it. I found out about the erosion from the slope after the fact.

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
              A few bags of saccrete is your best bet
              Interesting. So you're thinking lay down gravel, mix concrete mix and pour that on top of gravel to fill and hold it in?

Comment

Put down big rock first, I forget what they call it, but it's about the size of your fist. Bull rock or 4-, or something. Then put down crushed rock over that.

Stack bags of sakrete against the bulkheads where possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                  Put down big rock first, I forget what they call it, but it's about the size of your fist. Bull rock or 4-, or something. Then put down crushed rock over that.

Stack bags of sakrete against the bulkheads where possible.
                  Riprap rock

Comment

I’d slope your road across ways & cut small ditches on each side closer to the culvert & some distance leading away from culvert. You want to build up the center of the road slightly so water sheds off the road & into the ditches on each side. I’d place some fist size rock in the ditches so it takes energy out of the water flow once it enters the ditches

Comment

Originally posted by LlanoHunter10 View Post
                      Interesting. So you're thinking lay down gravel, mix concrete mix and pour that on top of gravel to fill and hold it in?

I think he means to spread your crushed concrete and then top it by putting some dry sakrete mix across the crushed and then dampen it so that it binds the crushed together.

Comment

If the water, running down the slope of the road, is the issue, I'd suggest putting eyebrow terraces at the top of the slope on each side with wing ditches leading the water away from the road.

Then use the suggestions above to stabilize the gravel over the culverts.

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                          I think he means to spread your crushed concrete and then top it by putting some dry sakrete mix across the crushed and then dampen it so that it binds the crushed together.
                          That's what I was saying. Better than grass seed for sure.

Comment

Sackrete mixed into the soil with a little moisture and compaction will really firm the soil up and prevent erosion but still let grass grow.

Comment

I installed two 15" HDPE double wall drainage pipes in a little creek behind our house. I tore out an old rusted out, silted in tin horn that had been there for over 50 years per my neighbor.

I built a headwall at each end with bags of concrete mix. I cut in a spillway on one side for overflow if that ever happens.

The creek crossing has about a foot of snow on it now. This spring I am going to install geotextile fabric and 3" crushed stone on the spillway and over the the driveway.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X