No announcement yet.

'Official' 2014 Trapping Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A step by step dirt hole and flat set would be great if someone had the time to take pics as they went

Comment

is this still a way to make decent money or are those days long gone?

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtymike View Post
        First year trapping myself. 22 ammo is too hard to find. started with coons and mice, hey same kinda "whats in my trap" feeling. Dont knock it. Ordered half a dozen 1.75 dukes foot holds. Cant wait to set them out. So I read use a lure and urine right? How much of each? This thread needs some more tips. Coons are easy catch. Put food in trap, have coon. What about a smarter critter like yotes, cats? Anyone put any sets next to a gut pile/bone yard? If a deer gets caught can it get the hoof out, even a fawn?

I use a lot of urine but a lot or most of the time I use it alone. In the warmer weather use less bait for coyotes colder you can use more.
        Bone piles work good if there is sign there. As with anything as long as there is sign there you can catch them there. I know coyotes look for dead piles I caught several where I was dumping my carcass's on each ranch.
        Most of the time deer will pull out I have caught some but if your trap is staked they will nearly always get out. Fawns may not they may not have the pulling power. Hope this helps an didn't confuse you

Comment

Does anyone make their own bait. So far all I have seen used is commercial baits?

Comment

Do y'all avoid areas with cows? I feel like it could be done but would like to hear it from people with the most experience.

Comment

Originally posted by McWebb93 View Post
              is this still a way to make decent money or are those days long gone?
              I think those days are long gone. I trap skin and sell but I do it to keep them off my feeders. And since I'm going to kill them I might as well skin them. My buddy took twenty coons to a buyer that comes through and only got 90 dollars. Not really worth the effort.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasBear View Post
                Do y'all avoid areas with cows? I feel like it could be done but would like to hear it from people with the most experience.
                Also curious? Seems it wouldn't be worth the hassle

Comment

I think you can avoid the cattle issue by where you put your sets. At least that is my plan. I hope those stupid walking burgers dont screw it up like they do my hunting.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasBear View Post

When I was a government trapper, hamburgers were my favorite meal lol. I hated cows. I didn't avoid areas with them, but they sure made it harder.

Comment

Here are two great videos that will help learn the ways of trapping predators. Goes step by step and at the end gives a list of everything he uses.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86TAhqLX34s"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86TAhqLX34s[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I927TquNrT4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I927TquNrT4[/ame]

Comment

For some strange reason I got a wild hair and bought a couple dozen snares. Something to pass the off season as well as manage problem critters. Put out 2 of them for the first time a couple weeks ago and in 2 days already snared a coyote. Looking to get some duke coon traps soon too.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Walk through flat set

Coon in my bobcat set

Comment

For the walk through sets...

Do you set them in areas where they are going to be guided through a corridor, like two trees or a creek and a deadfall?

Do you use any bait/scent/urine/ etc?

Nice catches, that coon is sayin "I'm caught!"

Comment

Originally posted by The General View Post
                              For the walk through sets...

Do you set them in areas where they are going to be guided through a corridor, like two trees or a creek and a deadfall?

Do you use any bait/scent/urine/ etc?

Nice catches, that coon is sayin "I'm caught!"
                              I just found some deadfall next to a tree that look like they might pass through it. Then I added some yote pee into the center on the right of that picture and some canine lure on the same spot.

Here is my remake. I put the pee and lure on the rock. the trap is about the 7 o'clock position from the rock.

Last edited by Leftridge; 02-19-2014, 10:43 AM.

Comment

Congrats on the yote and coon Leftridge

Comment

Working...
                                X