No announcement yet.

My surrogate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love the pic with the Brittney. Looks like he's thinking "Come on man, the birds are right there. I can smell them" Pretty dog.

Comment

I checked on the birds today. I lost one bird since the last update. So I'm still in the hundreds after the first week. Everything I have read is that after the first week It is smooth sailing. Still have about 40lbs of feed and plenty of water. Later this week I will take them some cucumber and watermelon. Their flight feathers are starting to come in as well. I will try to get some pictures up this weekend
      Last edited by segbert; 05-17-2012, 09:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ClayW View Post
        Go to the site and check it out

It says the propane, food and water last a full cycle...

Would this work for turkeys?

Turkeys are supposed to only take 3-3.5 weeks to be released compared to quail being 5 weeks.

Quail are very prone to being imprinted to humans so it is important to only do maintenance at night with headlamps if you want the best results.

Comment

Just curious what your goal is here?

It doesn’t look like there’s enough cover around the surrogator for the birds to hide in. I did a lot of reading on this when they first came out and I think everyone said that the birds stay pretty close to the box after releasing them. Maybe the grass will grow within the next 5 weeks. You might cut some brush and make some small brush piles around it before releasing to give them a better chance.

If you have a trail cam you might but it up to try and see what kind of predators are coming up to surrogator.

Comment

The angle of the pictures don't do it justice for the amount of cover. The reason for the placement in that location was for the food plot that is planted in the background, cover, and other birds in that area.

Originally posted by yanta61 View Post
            Just curious what your goal is here?

It doesn’t look like there’s enough cover around the surrogator for the birds to hide in. I did a lot of reading on this when they first came out and I think everyone said that the birds stay pretty close to the box after releasing them. Maybe the grass will grow within the next 5 weeks. You might cut some brush and make some small brush piles around it before releasing to give them a better chance.

If you have a trail cam you might but it up to try and see what kind of predators are coming up to surrogator.

Comment

Checked on the birds the other night. Started misting them and place some pans of dirt in the surrigator to start stimulating their oil glands to waterproof their feathers. When I opened the lid. Had a couple birds fly out. I turned off all of the lights and they started calling back to each other and finally came back to the box. I was able to catch them. I think they are about ready to go.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1338056792.474407.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	24076546

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1338056843.501970.jpg
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	24076547

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1338056872.791330.jpg
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	24076548

Comment

Have never done this but your survival rate sounds good. When do you release them? If you don't have a journal started already you are not so far along you couldn't start one to keep up with this and other management projects. Are you banding any?

Comment

Released about 105 birds a week ago, I will try to get video of the release when I get a chance. I recieved my second round of chicks yesterday only lost one during the shipment. I will keep you guys updated. Since the release I have heard more birds calling off in the brush, and have flushed a few coveys of the younger birds.

Comment

Awesome

I'm interested in this. Do you need permits or anything?

Comment

nice looking quail when we gonna go hunting?

Comment

Awesome

I'm interested in this. Do you need permits or anything?
                        no permit needed

Comment

Originally posted by segbert View Post
                          no permit needed
                          Does that apply to turkeys too?

Comment

cool

Comment

That is awesome. Good luck! Our population in Freer is going to be strong

Comment

Does that apply to turkeys too?
                                I have no clue about turkeys. But I'm guessing they are the same as quail

Comment

Working...
                                X