No announcement yet.

Shot Placement or Equipment Failure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My question is why didn't you shoot the drop tine buck?

Comment

All I can say is I lost a giant this past weekend from a weird sh*%t happens deal like this too so I know how your feeling right now!

Comment

Originally posted by Antlers86 View Post
        Want to buy the ones I have still in the package?

Only reason I say equipment failure is because even a rage probably would have slit something or caught the rib at least to leave a blood trail or clear gut fluid trail. Entry and exit wound would have been bigger I think and not easily plugged up.
        Ill buy them, I have shot 100 grain slick trick mags for 6 years now. Have lost 1 doe out of probably 40 animals with them, and it was a shot through the backstrap..... She didn't die.

I would say you got unlucky, shot looks good enough to kill to me. Maybe a little low.

Comment

Arrow went through the stomach. Next time wait 2-3 hours then put a dog on him. You'll recover the deer.

Comment

Originally posted by Conway View Post
            My question is why didn't you shoot the drop tine buck?
            Drop tine bucks aren’t as rare as a 160-170” 8pt

Originally posted by Adthomps View Post
            All I can say is I lost a giant this past weekend from a weird sh*%t happens deal like this too so I know how your feeling right now!
            I lost 2 this size in 2 separate counties. 1 was sickening and the other was supposed to make me feel better. LOL...

My arrow is a Gold Tip 340. Never an issue on 6 other bow kills. Only thing I changed up was broadhead this season. Bow is Triax 31 DL 65#

Comment

Drop tine bucks aren’t as rare as a 160-170” 8pt
              They’re even more rare now!

Comment

Originally posted by eastxhunter View Post
                They’re even more rare now!
                LOL... Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by 3DW5 View Post
                  watched it four times and I would really think that deer is dead.... Possibly a tad low but I thought it looked good enough.
                  Same. With that angle and entrance location that deer's taking a dirt nap. On a few occasions I've had the skin around entrance wounds cover over the hole effectively plugging it up. Could explain why you didn't see any blood
                  Last edited by JonBoy; 10-03-2019, 01:31 PM.

Comment

double lung works every time

Comment

Should have hit here then. I just didn’t like the exit angle. Would have been all heart though.
                      Exactly!

I think his leg position threw you off too (looks like his shoulder is covering a lot of his goodies). The camera angle could be throwing me off, but it looks like his leading leg is slightly back. If you imagine the lungs, I would say you hit right behind them into the stomach. Then you got deflection which kept you from hitting anything vital on the other side with the quartering away angle. Honestly, if your shot was a few inches higher, I think you would have the back of both lungs and liver.

Personally, my entire goal when shooting an animal is to break their opposite shoulder. So I shoot for the opposite leg, not behind the opposite leg. This has saved me more times than I can count.

Comment

Too far Back...dead deer but with fat you can get no blood with a far back hit....

Comment

Should have tucked it tighter to the shoulder!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Shot is low. A higher shot even that far back would have caught lungs. I always aim for the off shoulder. Never had a problem. I shot muzzy broadheads for years until they came out with expandables that can cut a huge hole. I made the switch. I still shoot fixed cut on contact with my traditional bows. A good shot will kill a deer/hog with just about any fixed head but to me I'd rather have the extra inch of cut the expandables can give you. An expandable might clip an artery that the fixed could miss. That is a huge bodied deer also. The bottom of his chest cavity will be a little higher up in proportion to a normal sized East Texas buck. Bottom line is it's bowhunting. Things happen. Hang in there.

Comment

Shot Placement or Equipment Failure

Quartering away is my favorite shot to take with a bow. The animal is usually looking away and it’s also a very forgiving shot to take. It’s hard not to hit vitals...unless you’re too close to the crease behind the shoulder at a hard angle, which can cause the exit to be out the brisket or lower neck area. I usually just aim for the opposite leg.

One look at this photo might make one think it’s awfully far back. It actually broke his shoulder on the opposite side. He didn’t go 40 yards. Oh, and it was with a slick trick broadhead.

It’s a game of inches. From an elevated position, you might have been too low and shot under the lungs. In the pic above, I was in a ground blind so the exit wasn’t lower than the entrance.

I wouldn’t blame the broadhead. Sometimes a huge cutting diameter can help you out on a marginal shot but not always.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Do you think a different broadhead would have changed anything?
                                Slick Trick use a steel ferrule so even if you had a blade fail your should still get decent penetration which you did. The best recipe for ruling out a defection is to flat break bone. Mass weight and a tanto style tip are your best friends in that scenario. I feel for you man, its a crappy deal. I think a couple of inches forward and he's toast and you find him pretty quickly but all in all the arrow and head did their job.
                                Last edited by muddyfuzzy; 10-03-2019, 02:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X