Securing an ATV at the lease

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Securing an ATV at the lease

I just bought a used ATV and I would really rather not trailer it back and forth. I hunt at a friend's ranch plus an adjoining place we lease. We have not had thief problems but of course it is always possible if not inevitable. Buying a storage container is not in the budget right now. I know that a determined thief with the right tools will get it no matter what I do (will have insurance for that) but I'm looking for the best way to thwart casual crooks. I have considered buying one of those locking boots people put on trailers that immobilize one wheel and cover the lug nuts but they look a bit flimsy. There is chain that can't be cut with bolt cutters ($10/ft!) I could buy some of that but under the carport where I plan to keep it there is nothing to chain to. Is there a way to chain it to itself so it can't be rolled? I guess I could dig a big hole and fill it with Quickcrete and anchor the chain to that. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    If a professional thief hits us it I can file an insurance claim - I just want to make stealing it as difficult as possible for wandering meth-heads

Conex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I drilled a post hole and concreted in a chain. Thick wire rope run through my Ranger and a padlock to discourage would-be thieves.
      But you said it right. A determined thief will do anything to get what you have.

Comment

If it's worth Any amount of $, I would be more concerned with rats chewing your wiring harness up. I've seen this happen to lease trucks and UTV/ATV's. Haul it until you can get a container. I'm no help on securing it out in the open from thieves; sorry.

Comment

I’d just dig the hole and drop 2-3 sacks of Quickcrete with some sort of anchor point buried in then cover it back up.

Comment

I keep mine in a locked barn. Ranch owner is out daily. Has worked well for me

Comment

Take the wheels off and chain it up....

Comment

Chain it through the frame to a large tree. Harbor Freight has heavy duty chains for $30 and a pro series pad lock for $30.

Comment

Run the chain thru the tire and then thru the frame.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Tbuddyandroby View Post
                    If it's worth Any amount of $, I would be more concerned with rats chewing your wiring harness up. I've seen this happen to lease trucks and UTV/ATV's. Haul it until you can get a container. I'm no help on securing it out in the open from thieves; sorry.
                    Was my first thoughts also. Had them do $1400 worth of damage to my grizzly. Upgraded to a UTV and bought a cargo trailer to store it in for that reason.

Comment

I put insurance on mine and take the key out, if somebody wants it they will get it.

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
                        Buying a storage container is not in the budget right now.
                        Originally posted by sideways View Post
                        Conex

even put it in italics for us...

Comment

Trailer it back and forth, would be the best bet. And I know you do not want to do that but leaving it outside is asking for rats,mice and meth heads.

Comment

Been thinking on this too.

Buying a storage container is not in the budget right now

tagged for good info only.

Comment

If it were me I'd just trailer it back and forth unless someone stays there as their residence. If a thief wants it they get it or tear it up trying. I don't leave mine at my ranch cause I don't want to deal with the headache a thief would leave me with.

Back in the day my grandfather had a place near the Red River and it had a brick house, and a concrete floor metal shop. In the shop we had big thick chains concreted in where we would lock the 4 wheeler down. One day we showed up and the whole shop and house were cleaned out. No idea how they got that 4 wheeler out unless they had a grinder or cutter of some sort and plenty of time. After seeing that, I won't leave anything of that much value at my place. They destroyed everything that night.

Comment

Working...
                              X