Sutton/ Val Verde County 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SlinginStix View Post
    Question for those that have been through an anthrax outbreak in the past if any have. We pulled cards today and not a single WT on camera since July 20-21. Had them on camera up until that timeframe. We’ve found 5-6 dead deer in the last month but as most on here there’s a consensus as no one knows how many are dead or if the majority moved off and “might” come
    Back when it cools off in Nov-Dec. Has anyone ever come to an agreement with the LO to suspended their season calling it a wash and possibly applied any paid dues towards the next season? Has LO offered full refund? Just trying to get a gauge on how others have handled it. We’re going to talk to our other members tomorrow and get opinions on what we want to propose to our LO. Obviously each LO is different and situations vary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Unless there was something already written on the lease agreement not sure the LO would give credit for the entire year or even partial credit. Good luck, hope the area WT herd was not totally devastated and recovers quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
      Unless there was something already written on the lease agreement not sure the LO would give credit for the entire year or even partial credit. Good luck, hope the area WT herd was not totally devastated and recovers quickly.

Great point with the lease agreements. We’re just trying to wrap our heads around this like many others are having to. Terrible situation for everyone involved. Signs that we’ve seen are that the entire herd didn’t get wiped out but there’s no guarantee. Can only hope they moved off and will return with food at other places becomes scarce.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

When we first got on our current place in VV (2012) numbers were very low. They had definitely come off of some kind of recent die off. Anthrax was never confirmed, but the deer just weren't there. Also major drought at that time. We were really glad to see the population increase by a lot each season since.

Under our previous landowner, we were locked in at the rate we joined as long as we stayed. He knew the pasture was hurting and he priced it accordingly. We enjoyed a really fair price for several years.
        After the ranch changed ownership 2 years ago lease dues went up. Considerably. With a 3 year agreement. Better than nothing but I sure liked the old way better.

You may approach your LO with a similar agreement to lock you in at a current price, at least until your pasture recovers. Which won't happen overnight, but won't take as long as you think.

I hope the worst is behind everyone that has been affected.

Comment

Any updates for those who were affected with Anthrax? I've been going 1-2 times a month since this outbreak hit and we're up to a couple dozen whitetail sightings in 2-3 days when driving the ranch with a handful of deer going to each feeder each day. This is a HUGE improvement from the ZERO deer we had back in late July.

I'm fairly certain we had a 100% die off and what deer we currently have are coming from other areas as these deer a crazy skittish, will not jump into pens (have taken down most of my pens), and none of the bucks seen have been mature animals.

What's everyone else seeing?

Comment

I was at our lease Friday and Saturday. I saw 1 yearling doe when driving to the stand one day and 1 yearling 6 point while hunting one evening. Nothing else was seen from the stand or driving around. I did see quite a few Aoudad but the deer are pretty much gone.

Comment

Hoping the rebound won't take long. Good luck BowSlayer

Comment

Originally posted by taco1979 View Post
                Hoping the rebound won't take long. Good luck BowSlayer

Same to you. I’ve already started hauling my stuff home. One more trip and I should be finished.

Comment

Originally posted by BowSlayer View Post
                  Same to you. I’ve already started hauling my stuff home. One more trip and I should be finished.
                  I don't blame you and will be doing the same if our lease fee doesn't stay 1/2 price or if a herd doesn't continue to return.

Comment

Looks the same in western Edwards County. Our ranch is only 8000 feet to the Val Verde line. We had deer on camera on July 13th. after that only a few does. Corn stacking up and protein feeders untouched. We went to the ranch Thanksgiving day and sat all weekend, alot of no deer seen or a few does and young bucks, 1 to 2 years old. Some of our neighbors have seen a few 6 and 8 points nothing mature. We own our ranch so there's on packing up and moving. We are killing hogs and a few wild sheep and just waiting for the deer herd to return to where we were before July. It may be a few years from what I hear from the locals who are familiar with this plague.

Comment

Working...
                    X