No announcement yet.

Durango Colorado Train Ride

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bobby, give my father-in-law a call...I believe they have done the ride a few times, and he should have some good info on it. We almost took the train last month, and if I’m ever there when the leaves change colors, I will definitely take the train

Comment

Thanks Jarvis...will do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

We go to Lake City/Silverton every summer...is there a way to take the train backwards, from Silverton to Durango and back? Doesn't look like it, but worth a shot.

Comment

It was really hot in the enclosed ones.

I agree, get at the back.

Comment

We went last year at the end of July. The train ride is great! We did the Enclosed car all the way at the back. Car didn't get hot & it has big windows so you can see everything pretty good. Try & get a seat on the right side of the car. I think if I did it again I would just take it up to Silverton & bring the bus back. Even on the bus the views will be great. Don't think I would do an open car. If the weather is bad it would suck. We just got back from our second trip to Durango. This time we took the Million Dollar Hwy. up through Silverton & then to Ouray. I would recommend taking a day & doing that. Also going to the Ski resort is fun.

Comment

Pic I took.

Comment

I did this about 30 years ago. On the way back we got off half way down and hiked up and over the divide, met the train again a week later for the ride out. Great experience, have fun.

Comment

I have done the Durango train ride a couple times. We usually ride one way then my Uncle who lives in Durango will meet us in Silverton and we go get us a bite to eat at the Handlebar Saloon. Then drive around the mountains and old mining roads. Open air cars to the back is the best place to be. Here are a few pics one from an open air car in the back and the interior of a closed car. The folks in that pic are my parents. My dad looks like he belongs in the mountains.
                  Attached Files

Comment

I would suggest sitting on the right side towards the back, like every one has said and Bring glasses. I would do the one way trip I was to do it again.

Comment

Take train up, bring some jackets. Rent a jeep or Ranger for 4 hours at the top and ride the trails; well worth it. Ride the bus back.

Comment

I have ridden it, and it's a fun trip, but the Cumbres & Toltec between Chama and Antonita has much better scenery and vistas. My recollection is that the Durango/Silverton train travels through the valley, and the views are more close in, whereas the Cumbres & Toltec has much more pretty views from up high and down low. If you ever get tthe chance, I highly recommend trying that excursion.

Comment

We rode in the closed car, at the end of the train, but we had small kids, then. We rode the bus from Durango to Silverton, explored Silverton a little bit, and then rode the train back down to Durango.
                          On the enclosed cars, you have to stick your head out the window occasionally to see everything.

Comment

Comment

Thanks everyone...we are really looking forward to it and also jeeping in between
                              Silverton and Ouray on Engineer, Poughkeepsie, and Imogene passes as well !
                              Going to be towing our jeep up there.

Comment

Working...
                              X