Baker3Ranch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Baker3Ranch

Ill be heading to Baker3Ranch for the axis bow hunt. Does anyone have and advice, its my first time out there.

I'll be headed there in October for the first time. I'm no help, but good luck.

Comment

Me and the wife are going next week on 27th. It’s gonna be hot so bring a window unit to put in your pop up blind. And a generator. Jk, we’ve only been twice. Wife got an axis doe one time. I haven’t had a shot . No advice from me as we have not been in right areas. I’ve heard by camp and in Taylor pastures is best but who knows

Comment

We didn’t have much success when we were there in February. There were a lot of stalks and shots but, not many were killed. They are a tough animal to hunt. My best opportunities were from setting up a brush blind really well and wait for them to come walking by. You can see the heavier traveled routes they take.
        This time of year I would make a brush blind or if using a pop-up it needs to be brushed in really well and set up on a water hole. Good luck and have fun!

Comment

Hunt hard, and get off the feeders. Use a brush blind over a pop up. Hunt a trail leading to the water and not on the water. The animals are smart, smarter than anywhere I’ve hunted, so hunt With that in mind. Airport pasture was the best for me as far as sightings. I killed a black Hawaiian Ram, but I saw a ton of animals. It’s a blast, but as far from canned as it gets.

Comment

Seems like everyone is saying it’s a rough hunt. I have heard to stay off the feeders before

Comment

Originally posted by Sandlin View Post
              Seems like everyone is saying it’s a rough hunt. I have heard to stay off the feeders before
              It may depend on what kind of hunting you like. I'm not a stand hunter and this was the most fun I've had on a day hunt.. I plan to go back .
              I sprayed my clothes down with Sawyers permethrin and I didnt have any ticks or redbugs.

Comment

I loved when I hunted there. MOrning were spend spot and stalk, they should be roaring and hearding up the harems now. The afternoons we set up on watering holes and put out a little chaffhaye

Comment

I host a group that goes there every year. This was our 9th year and because of all the water and tall grass it was tough. We went in late June. This is far from a canned hunt. The bucks should be roaring really good right now. Listen for them in the mornings and get downwind of them. The hardest part is closing the last 80 yards because most of the bucks have does with them and the spook at anything out of place. Also watch out for rattlesnakes. We ran across 8 while my group was there. Snakeboots are a MUST! I actually got hit by one 6 years ago. Thank God for Chippewa Boots! Also an axis vitals are small and buried up low in the the shoulder. Shoot them right in the shoulder! If you hit them in the crease of the shoulder then you are in the guts. Quartering away shots are best. I shoot Rage Trypan’s and have no problem blowing thru the shoulder or getting 3/4 penetration on them. Be sure and spray and wash your cloths and boots with Sawyers Permethrin. It keeps the Chiggers and Ticks off you. They can be really bad out there.
                  I tell people it is a really tough hunt because the animals are pressured. But it is still the best place to hunt for An Axis over 30” and be Gold medal and low fence. It’s almost 20,000 acres and yes the Taylor side is high fences but there are a lot of holes in that fence. We killed some nice ones this year but have done better the last two years.
                  Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by rattler7696 View Post
                    I host a group that goes there every year. This was our 9th year and because of all the water and tall grass it was tough. We went in late June. This is far from a canned hunt. The bucks should be roaring really good right now. Listen for them in the mornings and get downwind of them. The hardest part is closing the last 80 yards because most of the bucks have does with them and the spook at anything out of place. Also watch out for rattlesnakes. We ran across 8 while my group was there. Snakeboots are a MUST! I actually got hit by one 6 years ago. Thank God for Chippewa Boots! Also an axis vitals are small and buried up low in the the shoulder. Shoot them right in the shoulder! If you hit them in the crease of the shoulder then you are in the guts. Quartering away shots are best. I shoot Rage Trypan’s and have no problem blowing thru the shoulder or getting 3/4 penetration on them. Be sure and spray and wash your cloths and boots with Sawyers Permethrin. It keeps the Chiggers and Ticks off you. They can be really bad out there.
                    I tell people it is a really tough hunt because the animals are pressured. But it is still the best place to hunt for An Axis over 30” and be Gold medal and low fence. It’s almost 20,000 acres and yes the Taylor side is high fences but there are a lot of holes in that fence. We killed some nice ones this year but have done better the last two years.
                    Good luck

Nice animals. I wish I had 20 friends that would go . I'd hunt once a month at Baker.. I'm on the books for March and June .

Comment

Originally posted by jds247 View Post
                      Nice animals. I wish I had 20 friends that would go . I'd hunt once a month at Baker.. I'm on the books for March and June .

We are booked for June 25-28 next year. Can’t wait to go back. I passed some really good ones this year. Hoping to best 34-1/2” mark.

Comment

It isn't that tough of a hunt as some people are making it out to be in my opinion. I would say the ticket for me is finding an active feeder and then hand corning 100-300 yards off of it. If there is water close, also a plus. Hunt hard and walk when you get bored. There are lots of animals out there. There are some truly monster axis out there. I have never taken a giant axis buck out there but I have seen some that are over 35" for sure. Overall, really enjoyable hunt. We haven't been in a couple of years but we used to go all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by rattler7696 View Post
                          We are booked for June 25-28 next year. Can’t wait to go back. I passed some really good ones this year. Hoping to best 34-1/2” mark.

This was my first time going last month.. I have a better idea of what I need to do next time. That's a nice one!!

Comment

Working...
                          X