Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 08-16-2019, 04:03 PM   #1
charrell71
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hardin and DeWitt Counties
Default Successful Draw Hunt Result For The Chap!

Holy crap, after 15 years, we finally drew an Archery Deer hunt at the Chap!!! I'm finally going to be able to step foot on this sacred plot of ground. Need to start doing some serious research about this place. Still can't believe we finally scored!!!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
charrell71 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2019, 04:08 PM   #2
DUKFVR
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba,TX

Congrats & Good Luck!
DUKFVR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2019, 04:10 PM   #3
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

It's a cool place but I've only chased quail there

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Quackerbox is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2019, 04:12 PM   #4
jshouse
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NE Texas

Good luck! Their Facebook page is updated pretty often if you want to check it out. Me and my son drew there a few years ago and couldn't go.
jshouse is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2019, 04:29 PM   #5
Blank
Six Point

Hunt In: Entire Mountain West, South Texas

Congrats. It is fun there.
Blank is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2019, 04:39 PM   #6
TalonErickson7
Ten Point

Hunt In: Montgomery County

Been there few years back itís a great place

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TalonErickson7 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2019, 05:01 PM   #7
Keith
Administrator

Congratulations. Warning, don't look under the culvert crossing under the highway!

My best friend, my dad, and I got drawn for an archery hunt there around 1996. We got there the afternoon before the bunt, set up our RV and drove down the highway on the south side of the Chaparral to see what the area looked like and see if we could spot any deer. As we drove across a small bridge, I noticed a heavily used game trail that came through the fence of the Chap, under the bridge culvert and to the property on the other side of the highway. My friend and I got out of the truck to check out the trail and discovered it was covered in Javelina tracks, and left. We went back to the RV and within 2-3 minutes a Game Warden was BEATING on the door and ordered me outside, and everyone else to stay inside. He grilled me wanting to know what we were doing looking in the culvert, as if we had murdered someone and threw their body under there. I told him we were just curious as to what made the trail. After 5 minutes of interrogation, he called out my friend and gave him the same interrogation treatment. Afterwords he said locals would put traps on the trail to illegally catch the game and wanted to be sure we weren't doing that. That is my one and only bad experience with a Game Warden, with an obvious chip on his shoulder.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2019, 05:31 PM   #8
stickman
Pope & Young

Congrats! Pending second draw for us, so basically I’ll try again next year. Please do a live hunt thread when you go.
stickman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2019, 05:55 PM   #9
Fargus
Ten Point

Hunt In: DeWitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Congratulations. Warning, don't look under the culvert crossing under the highway!

My best friend, my dad, and I got drawn for an archery hunt there around 1996. We got there the afternoon before the bunt, set up our RV and drove down the highway on the south side of the Chaparral to see what the area looked like and see if we could spot any deer. As we drove across a small bridge, I noticed a heavily used game trail that came through the fence of the Chap, under the bridge culvert and to the property on the other side of the highway. My friend and I got out of the truck to check out the trail and discovered it was covered in Javelina tracks, and left. We went back to the RV and within 2-3 minutes a Game Warden was BEATING on the door and ordered me outside, and everyone else to stay inside. He grilled me wanting to know what we were doing looking in the culvert, as if we had murdered someone and threw their body under there. I told him we were just curious as to what made the trail. After 5 minutes of interrogation, he called out my friend and gave him the same interrogation treatment. Afterwords he said locals would put traps on the trail to illegally catch the game and wanted to be sure we weren't doing that. That is my one and only bad experience with a Game Warden, with an obvious chip on his shoulder.
Ha! May do it just to meet the local warden. Obviously I would not be doing anything illegal and if he/she wants to take the time out of their day to talk to me, then so be it. I'll even offer him supper.

I got drawn as part of charrell71's group and am totally excited about this adventure!
Fargus is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2019, 08:21 PM   #10
sqiggy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Panola Co and Robertson Co

Quote:
Originally Posted by charrell71 View Post
Holy crap, after 15 years, we finally drew an Archery Deer hunt at the Chap!!!
I did too, but only after my second time to ever apply to there!!!
Are you on the first or second hunt?
sqiggy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2019, 08:24 PM   #11
Mexico
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Old Mexico, Centerville Tx

Nice!
Mexico is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-17-2019, 10:45 AM   #12
BTLowry
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Behind the house and public in Texas; Kansas Unit 5

Awesome place

Make sure you take measures to combat the pack rats

They chewed the heater hose enough to cause a leak and several other things under the hood

And you just might get a chance to kill a warthog too
BTLowry is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-17-2019, 12:03 PM   #13
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Schleicher Co., TX.

Hey Chris, who's "we". You and your dad? You and your wife?
AntlerCollector is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-17-2019, 01:39 PM   #14
Oldblue
Six Point

Good Luck and keep us updated!
Oldblue is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-17-2019, 02:17 PM   #15
RockTippedStick
Eight Point

Hunt In: Liberty, Tyler, Polk

Congrats Chris. Thats awesome. A Chris and Chris from MoCo hunt. Who else is going?
RockTippedStick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-17-2019, 02:22 PM   #16
brokeno
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gonzales & Young Co and anywhere

After 27 years I got drawn last year and was super excited. We saw only a few does and a couple of small bucks. There was a few bucks killed but nothing exceptional. The chap doesn't have the brush and deer since the fire. Even though our group was disappointed I put in for the chap again. Good luck.
brokeno is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-17-2019, 04:40 PM   #17
charrell71
Pope & Young

We are there on the 2nd hunt.

Old 08-17-2019, 04:43 PM   #18
charrell71
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqiggy View Post
I did too, but only after my second time to ever apply to there!!!

Are you on the first or second hunt?
We are there on the 2nd hunt.

Old 08-17-2019, 04:45 PM   #19
charrell71
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntlerCollector View Post
Hey Chris, who's "we". You and your dad? You and your wife?
Me, my dad and Chris Ritchie.

Old 08-17-2019, 08:04 PM   #20
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Schleicher Co., TX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charrell71 View Post
Me, my dad and Chris Ritchie.

Awesome! I was hoping you would say your dad. That Chris Ritchie guy is a little sketchy
AntlerCollector is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-18-2019, 09:19 AM   #21
KactusKiller
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Irion co, Navarro Co

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokeno View Post
After 27 years I got drawn last year and was super excited. We saw only a few does and a couple of small bucks. There was a few bucks killed but nothing exceptional. The chap doesn't have the brush and deer since the fire. Even though our group was disappointed I put in for the chap again. Good luck.
I strongly disagree with this, in most area the brush is now thicker since the fire and the deer are still there. I have hunted that place 5 times since about 2007 and Iíve seen hunts where not a single deer was killed, and others where some studs were killed. Itís not a canned hunt with deer under every tree, never has been. Weather plays a major role and some luck also. If it stays dry and you hit a good cold front it should be great.
KactusKiller is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-18-2019, 11:37 AM   #22
Fargus
Ten Point

Ok, we all know that compartment selection is based on the last 2 numbers of your permit. There are 80 permits broken up into 2 hunt dates. Our permits end in '23' which leads me to believe we would be middle of the pack for the 1st hunt. However, we were drawn for the 2nd hunt. Anyone have a clue how that works?
Old 08-18-2019, 11:57 AM   #23
KactusKiller
Pope & Young

I’m not sure, we were in the first hunt last yr with I think a number of 46 if I remeber correct and we picked about 5th or 6th. Seems like they changed it up some.
Old 08-18-2019, 04:48 PM   #24
sqiggy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Panola Co and Robertson Co

I'm on the first hunt and the last 2 numbers are 47??
sqiggy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-18-2019, 08:00 PM   #25
Yakinthebox
Spike

Hunt In: Upper TX Coast

I got drawn for the first archery hunt as well, December 3-6th. My last 2 on the permit number are 04...
This was only my 3rd time entering for it and I'm feeling very lucky and blessed to have been drawn.

I'll be hunting solo. I plan to bring a pop up blind or 2 and probably build up some brush piles as well just so I have options. Good luck to you others that were selected!
Yakinthebox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-19-2019, 06:51 AM   #26
NDN98
Eight Point

Good luck!
NDN98 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-19-2019, 09:37 AM   #27
bigchiefj
Six Point

You can't tell anything about the draw from your permit number. Call the WMA and they'll tell you when you get to pick your compartment.
bigchiefj is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-20-2019, 08:38 AM   #28
Fargus
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchiefj View Post
You can't tell anything about the draw from your permit number. Call the WMA and they'll tell you when you get to pick your compartment.
This is in direct conflict with what hunters from previous years have said. Has something changed for this year?
Old 08-20-2019, 10:06 AM   #29
bigchiefj
Six Point

Prior to 2014, you could tell your draw order by your permit number. Recently I had permit 152257 on a hunt that only drew 2 permits.
bigchiefj is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-20-2019, 12:22 PM   #30
db@100
Eight Point

I'm on my 20th year applying, maybe it will be my year.
db@100 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-20-2019, 12:35 PM   #31
JW774
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchiefj View Post
Prior to 2014, you could tell your draw order by your permit number. Recently I had permit 152257 on a hunt that only drew 2 permits.

They do go off of your permit number at the Chap. All the others Iíve been to draw numbers when you get there, but not Chaparral. I drew back in 2015 and I knew before I even left my driveway that I was going to be the second to last to pick my compartment. Itís ok though, I donít think thereís a bad compartment down there. Take your horns with you, itíll be pre-rut/rut and the bucks will be responsive. The morning I killed my deer, I walked the brush and rattled every 200 yards. Rattled in 8 bucks that morning, including the buck I ended up shooting. My buddy and I got drawn for the second archery this round, so weíll see yíall down there! Weíre permit 70 something of 80, so a little further up on picks this year!

JW774 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-20-2019, 12:45 PM   #32
panhandlehunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brazoria, Matagorda & Medina Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by KactusKiller View Post
I strongly disagree with this, in most area the brush is now thicker since the fire and the deer are still there. I have hunted that place 5 times since about 2007 and Iíve seen hunts where not a single deer was killed, and others where some studs were killed. Itís not a canned hunt with deer under every tree, never has been. Weather plays a major role and some luck also. If it stays dry and you hit a good cold front it should be great.
Got any pics of the bucks youíve killed?
panhandlehunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-20-2019, 05:02 PM   #33
Yakinthebox
Spike

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW774 View Post
They do go off of your permit number at the Chap. All the others Iíve been to draw numbers when you get there, but not Chaparral. I drew back in 2015 and I knew before I even left my driveway that I was going to be the second to last to pick my compartment. Itís ok though, I donít think thereís a bad compartment down there. Take your horns with you, itíll be pre-rut/rut and the bucks will be responsive. The morning I killed my deer, I walked the brush and rattled every 200 yards. Rattled in 8 bucks that morning, including the buck I ended up shooting. My buddy and I got drawn for the second archery this round, so weíll see yíall down there! Weíre permit 70 something of 80, so a little further up on picks this year!

Wow! I'm soooooo freaking pumped for this hunt! This will by far be the hunt of my lifetime up to this point! Thanks for the advice!
Old 08-21-2019, 07:23 AM   #34
KactusKiller
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by panhandlehunter View Post
Got any pics of the bucks youíve killed?
I havenít killed anything yet, like others have said when you go there you pass a lot of shooters looking for a big boy. I have a lease with big deer so Iím not shooting borderline deer unless itís the last day. Had several close calls but havenít connected yet. Itís def not a canned hunt. My first two hunts there not a single deer was killed.
Old 08-21-2019, 02:04 PM   #35
BarBBar
Four Point

Hunt In: Burnet

If I were to get drawn again, I would rent a 4x4 truck since some units are rough, and if it rains, the roads get slippery. I would also take a GPS as well as a cellphone with Google Maps app. and a backup cell phone battery charger.

If you stay in a hotel with a computer and printer, print some Google maps of your area to scout from.

If you get a big unit and get back into the heavy brush, you can get turned around. I would also take my Millenium tripod and game cameras, deer cart, and rattling antlers. You won't believe the amount of trail markers people have left out there. I didn't apply this year because I was drawn for Segment C in Hagerman near the same time.
BarBBar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-22-2019, 10:36 AM   #36
Yakinthebox
Spike

This is a message and response that I sent to the Chaps Facebook account.

"Hello, I drew the first Archery hunt for this year. I have a question...

I've been researching and people are saying that fields/compartments are picked in the order that you were drawn. The theory is that the last 2 digits of your permit number is the order your permit was drawn. Is there any truth to this?

Thank you and I'm very excited and can't wait to step foot on this wonderful place."

Direct response from Chaparral's fb page.

"Hi,
You are correct in that hunters will select their compartments in the order that they were drawn by the computer system. The digits of your permit number would indicate your placement but nobody would know what the permit number of the #1 draw is. If you want to call the office a week or 2 before your hunt I can give you a better idea of where your party falls."
Old 08-22-2019, 10:40 AM   #37
Yakinthebox
Spike

Follow up message...

"Thank you for your response. If I understand that correctly, it is determined by the permit number but they aren't actually numerically in order starting at 1..."

"You're correct. There is a lot of misinformation on the message boards. Feel free to call the office anytime"
Old 08-25-2019, 11:41 AM   #38
TexasTrophyBowhunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill Country
Default Successful Draw Hunt Result For The Chap!

I shot this 7.5 year old ten and my pops shot a 8.5 year old according to the biologist. This year is going to be an awesome year. They had ton of 3.5 y/o deer last year and they are expecting a ton of mature deer this year. At least thatís the biologist told us at orientation.

Last edited by TexasTrophyBowhunter; 08-25-2019 at 11:44 AM.
TexasTrophyBowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-25-2019, 11:43 AM   #39
TexasTrophyBowhunter
Ten Point

I forgot to mention this was the second archery hunt last year. Just saying we were some of the last to choose compartments and some of the only people to shoot. My pops shot a really nice one too but we couldnít find him.
Old 08-25-2019, 05:19 PM   #40
Yakinthebox
Spike

That is good news! Did you draw this year?
Old 08-25-2019, 05:43 PM   #41
TexasTrophyBowhunter
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakinthebox View Post
That is good news! Did you draw this year?

No I did not unfortunately

Old 08-25-2019, 05:57 PM   #42
Fargus
Ten Point

We will be camping in a big outfitters tent during this hunt and should have room for another hunter or two if a couple of y'all wanna minimize your load by bunking with us. Fingers crossed, it looks like we'll be down there in the afternoon of that Monday.
Old 08-26-2019, 02:16 PM   #43
bowpro12
Ten Point

Finally drew the Chaparral after 17 years. David and I will be there the first week of December. Look forward to meeting more TBHers.
bowpro12 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2019, 01:25 PM   #44
Yakinthebox
Spike

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowpro12 View Post
Finally drew the Chaparral after 17 years. David and I will be there the first week of December. Look forward to meeting more TBHers.
That's when I'll be there. Good luck and look forward to meeting y'all!

Yakinthebox (Charles)
Old 08-27-2019, 02:00 PM   #45
44mAG
Ten Point

I hunted there on the archery hunt around 4 years ago. My permit number had nothing to do with the order I picked my compartment. I have also hunted Javelina there after getting drawn, and again, my permit number had nothing to do with the order I picked.
44mAG is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2019, 02:42 PM   #46
solocam_aggie
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bastrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44mAG View Post
I hunted there on the archery hunt around 4 years ago. My permit number had nothing to do with the order I picked my compartment. I have also hunted Javelina there after getting drawn, and again, my permit number had nothing to do with the order I picked.
I was there 4 years ago too, and it had everything to do with permit number lol. I knew in advance based off that number that I was picking #2.
solocam_aggie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2019, 03:37 PM   #47
44mAG
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by solocam_aggie View Post
I was there 4 years ago too, and it had everything to do with permit number lol. I knew in advance based off that number that I was picking #2.
I think the issue is that I didn't know the number of the first permit drawn. I actually called to ask them, but they wouldn't give me that info. My last two numbers were 98, and I picked somewhere around the 20 mark.

Last edited by 44mAG; 08-27-2019 at 03:41 PM.
44mAG is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2019, 04:09 PM   #48
Blank
Six Point

Hunt In: Entire Mountain West, South Texas

I still have some of my old permits, and in the old days before the computerized on-line system, it was easy to tell. There was a Category-WMA-Permit number (GDE-CHAP-01). Now the six digit permit numbers just roll around, and the first one of the hunt is just what comes up. The print out that goes to the management area is organized by order drawn, as everyone has been saying
Blank is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-01-2019, 10:25 AM   #49
Yakinthebox
Spike

I messaged the Chap FB page and this is the scoop.

Me- Hello, I drew the first Archery hunt for this year. I have a question. I've been researching and people are saying that fields/compartments are picked in the order that you were drawn. The theory is that the last 2 digits of permit number is the order your permit was drawn. Is there any truth to this?

Chap- Hi, you are correct in that hunters will select their compartments in the order that they were drawn by the computer system. The digits of your permit number would indicate your placement but nobody would know what the permit number of the #1 draw is...

Me- Thank you for your response! If I understand that correctly, it IS determined by the permit number but they aren't actually numerically in order starting at #1?

Chap- You're correct! There is a lot of misinformation on the message boards. Feel free to call the office any time. And by the way, congratulations on the draw!

Last edited by Yakinthebox; 09-01-2019 at 10:32 AM. Reason: Incomplete post
Old 09-16-2019, 06:12 PM   #50
Fargus
Ten Point

I have seen a few posts saying that deer out at the Chap don't like pop-ups even with them being heavily brushed in. I can't help but wonder if it has something to do with the large black hole of death staring back at them from the brush pile.

Has anyone tried leaving the shoot thru mesh in place on their pop-ups out there?